Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Henjak's playing club rugby

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Henjak's playing club rugby

Henjak's playing club rugby

John-Paul Moloney, Canberra Times | May 6, 2008 - 10:47AM

Less than three months after his Super 14 career crashed down around him, Matt Henjak has started rebuilding his reputation on the fields of his former home town.

Henjak made a surprise appearance in the starting team for ACT Premier Division club Royals last weekend, almost three months after the Western Force tore up his contract because of an assault on teammate Haig Sare.

Having secured a playing transfer from Rugby WA to the ACT Rugby Union last week, Henjak is using the Canberra competition to keep fit while his manager seeks a new professional contract for him in Europe.

Henjak has also taken on a role as training mentor to Royals' young backline players, including Brumbies Academy scrumhalf Brent Hamlin.

Royals coach Frank Condi said the former Wallabies scrumhalf was a welcome guest at last year's semi-finalist club, even if he had an inglorious return to the field in a 54-0 loss to Queanbeyan on Saturday.

"When anyone comes down from Super 14 level, you can see the other guys want to take notice of them. The guys love having him down there at training and at games," Condi said.

"He'll be teaching some of our young halfbacks, spending time with them at training and giving them pointers, so he's having a coaching role here as well."

In the aftermath of his sacking, the ACT Brumbies joined NSW and Queensland in ruling out a Super 14 lifeline to Henjak.

The Brumbies have scrumhalves Patrick Phibbs and Josh Holmes on contract for next season, leaving no place for him.

Henjak's altercation with Sare at a Perth pub was the last in a series of off-field indiscretions which crippled the ambitions of a player once tipped to succeed George Gregan as Australia's long-term No.9.

While his Wallabies career looks all-but dead after four Tests, 26-year-old Henjak could still enjoy a long and lucrative stint in European club rugby.

It is understood his manager is considering options in Italy and France. Henjak could potentially leave Australia in as few as three or four weeks.

Until then, Brumbies chief executive Andrew Fagan said the Canberra competition would benefit from having him in its ranks. He added the former Brumby would still be a welcome visitor at the club's Griffith headquarters.

"My position is one of absolute support for Matt being here playing," Fagan said. "Any role we can play to help him further his rugby career we will do. Anything that's in our power, we'll look to support him with. I think that's an obligation we're happy to take on board.

"He's not under suspension, it's not a contracted position, so as far as I'm concerned it's just something that would bring tremendous value and profile to local rugby and help develop the guys around him at Royals."

Henjak's former Brumbies teammate Jeremy Paul had a similar stint with Royals last year while he waited to join English club Gloucester.

Royals have a bye this weekend before taking on the Gungahlin Eagles on May 17.

http://www.rugbyheaven.com.au/news/s...839602850.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash

Thumbs up Henjak's playing club rugby

Less than three months after his Super 14 career crashed down around him, Matt Henjak has started rebuilding his reputation on the fields of his former home town.

Henjak made a surprise appearance in the starting team for ACT Premier Division club Royals last weekend, almost three months after the Western Force tore up his contract because of an assault on teammate Haig Sare.

Having secured a playing transfer from Rugby WA to the ACT Rugby Union last week, Henjak is using the Canberra competition to keep fit while his manager seeks a new professional contract for him in Europe.

Henjak has also taken on a role as training mentor to Royals' young backline players, including Brumbies Academy scrumhalf Brent Hamlin.

Royals coach Frank Condi said the former Wallabies scrumhalf was a welcome guest at last year's semi-finalist club, even if he had an inglorious return to the field in a 54-0 loss to Queanbeyan on Saturday.

"When anyone comes down from Super 14 level, you can see the other guys want to take notice of them. The guys love having him down there at training and at games," Condi said.

"He'll be teaching some of our young halfbacks, spending time with them at training and giving them pointers, so he's having a coaching role here as well."

In the aftermath of his sacking, the ACT Brumbies joined NSW and Queensland in ruling out a Super 14 lifeline to Henjak.

The Brumbies have scrumhalves Patrick Phibbs and Josh Holmes on contract for next season, leaving no place for him.

Henjak's altercation with Sare at a Perth pub was the last in a series of off-field indiscretions which crippled the ambitions of a player once tipped to succeed George Gregan as Australia's long-term No.9.

While his Wallabies career looks all-but dead after four Tests, 26-year-old Henjak could still enjoy a long and lucrative stint in European club rugby.

It is understood his manager is considering options in Italy and France. Henjak could potentially leave Australia in as few as three or four weeks.

Until then, Brumbies chief executive Andrew Fagan said the Canberra competition would benefit from having him in its ranks. He added the former Brumby would still be a welcome visitor at the club's Griffith headquarters.

"My position is one of absolute support for Matt being here playing," Fagan said. "Any role we can play to help him further his rugby career we will do. Anything that's in our power, we'll look to support him with. I think that's an obligation we're happy to take on board.

"He's not under suspension, it's not a contracted position, so as far as I'm concerned it's just something that would bring tremendous value and profile to local rugby and help develop the guys around him at Royals."

Henjak's former Brumbies teammate Jeremy Paul had a similar stint with Royals last year while he waited to join English club Gloucester.

Royals have a bye this weekend before taking on the Gungahlin Eagles on May 17.

Brother Gallagher I hear you

vCash
    good on him!
    good luck in europe mate!
    dont forget about us here and come back in a year or two!

vCash
    Good luck to him in whatever he does!!
    Im sure he will be a tremendous succes in Europe & I dearly hope he comes back to the Force.

vCash
    Yay for Henjak!! Good on ya!! Hope you have a brilliant and dazzling career in Europe then John O'Neil will take you back! i know i will

Last edited by force addict; 06-05-08 at 16:14. Reason: i can't spell
    Be There. Be Heard. Be The Force Behind The Force

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    See you back soon Hennas, you're too good to waste in Europe.
    Scout a good team for O'Young to go to while you're there...

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    lol or sign a one year deal and then u can swap for o'young

vCash
    or sign for the rest of your playing days

Be There. Be Heard. Be The Force Behind The Force

(a.k.a. Mr Pinkbits) Stone Cold's Avatar
    vCash
    good luck in europe...hope you get more tries there than you did for us...

coz Stone Cold says so

vCash
    Good luck Henners. Hope you can kill those demons.

vCash
    Good luck to you Yak, but i believe in the term I WILL BE BACK

vCash
    Don't kid yourself, he will go back to ACT if he decides to come back. Which I am no where near confident he will do once he gets his hands on the NH money. If he didn't have the discipline when he practically had the Wallaby spot on a platter why would he come back with a huge stigma and have to work his ass off to overcome it, he'll have to change himself as a person which I don't see happening....

vCash
    Good Luck Henners, bury those problems once and for all

vCash
    No wonder I keep seeing him about the place.
    Interesting that it is at Royals not his old club the Queanbeyan Whites alongside his brother.

Adore this life
    There is no guarantee
    Could end by tomorrow

vCash
    good on ya yak!
    hope you do well!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast