Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: O’Young joins the queue

vCash

O’Young joins the queue

O’Young joins the queue
    DAVE HUGHES
    1 May 2008
    The West Australian

No position in Robbie Deans’ new Wallabies team is more open to competition than scrum-half.

Every starter in Super 14 considers himself a potential successor to George Gregan, who wore the No. 9 jersey for a decade until the Wallabies were eliminated in last year’s World Cup quarterfinals.

Queensland’s Sam Cordingley was Gregan’s understudy in France but effectively terminated his Test career yesterday by accepting an offer to play for Grenoble for 2 ½ years. Cordingley played 14 Tests, mostly off the bench.

Not that he was guaranteed the Wallabies job under the new Deans regime. Injuries have plagued him over the past few years and he will be a spectator again when the Reds play the Blues at Suncorp Stadium tomorrow because of a persistent calf problem.

Brumbies pair Patrick Phibbs and Josh Holmes both earned high praise with eye-catching efforts early before the Waratahs’ Luke Burgess became flavour of the month for April.

At least, for most of it. When the Waratahs beat the Force at Subiaco Oval on April 12, the best scrum-half on the field didn’t have a red flower embroidered on his jersey.

Even the Sydney Morning Herald acknowledged that the most efficient Australian at the base of the scrum in round nine was the Force’s Chris O’Young.

Hastily acquired in February as a result of Matt Henjak’s sacking, O’Young is finally getting the on-field minutes he sought when he first came to Perth in 2006.

He spent two seasons on the bench as Henjak’s back-up before asking for an early release from his contract to accept a deal with Scottish club Glasgow Warriors.

When the Force called in the first week of the competition, O’Young was happy to rush to South Africa, not least because returning to Super 14 rekindled his goal of representing Australia.

Australian players based overseas are not eligible for national selection and O’Young, 27, knew a starting role with the Force would require national selectors to keep a watching brief, at the very least.

“I think the thing they’re looking for is consistency,” he said yesterday.

“A different name is being bandied every week and all I can do is play as well as I can for the Force and leave anything further to take care of itself.

“There hasn’t been anyone definite to replace Gregan and, yeah, it’s always been my goal to make the Wallabies.”

O’Young is enjoying the up-tempo style of Super 14 compared with the forward-oriented grind in Europe.

The weather is better, too, with O’Young recalling once having to play on a frozen pitch with the thermometer reading minus 5C.

“Mostly, the pitches were heavier and the forwards bigger, with more emphasis on scrums, line-outs and driving mauls,” he said, pointing out that kickers were at a premium, with Western Force reject Brock James thriving at Clermont Auvergne in France.

James’ accuracy has made him one of the leading point-scorers because he can cash in on the frequent penalty shots awarded in the northern hemisphere, rather than the free kicks which prevail in Super 14.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by laura View Post

Even the Sydney Morning Herald acknowledged that the most efficient Australian at the base of the scrum in round nine was the Force’s Chris O’Young.
    hehe... what are they suggesting? The SMH is a smidge biased at times?

Last edited by Swee_82; 01-05-08 at 11:03.

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash
    Hastily acquired in February as a result of Matt Henjak’s sacking,
    I wish they'd get this right. O'Young was signed as Henjaks backup, then Henjak screwed up.

Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Flamethrower View Post
    I wish they'd get this right. O'Young was signed as Henjaks backup, then Henjak screwed up.
    O'Young was actually called upon by the Force this tear when Adam Clarke (ex Southland NZ) injured his neck in the pre season. The Henjack incident just helped him make the decision and moved him up the order.

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash
    That's what I meant. I couldn't remember Adam Clarke's name.

Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Flamethrower View Post
    That's what I meant. I couldn't remember Adam Clarke's name.
    who?!?

vCash
    Problem with CO'Y (though I must say I'm impressed with his passes) is his attacking game--not much there--and this will keep him out of contention for the Wallaby 9 or 20.

Champion
    vCash
    yeah okay he hasn't got a good attacking game, but he has had exposure to both northern and southern hemispheres rugby and experience to match, i dont think any other scrum half currently running around with 9 or 20 on his back can handle the pressure of the wallabies international schedule....

correct me if i'm wrong. !!

vCash
    He should be in the top 3 halfbacks but i wouldnt be suprised if that tahs halfback is the no.1 pick. I think deans will give a few halfbacks a go in the tri nations.

vCash
    Don't think that's enough, Ben. If you're passing well, mobilizing the forwards well but not keeping the opposing forwards interested then only doing half the job.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    O'Young was actually called upon by the Force this tear when Adam Clarke (ex Southland NZ) injured his neck in the pre season. The Henjack incident just helped him make the decision and moved him up the order.
    Does anyone know if Adam Clarke is expected to play for the Force next year or is he going to leave at the end of his contract?

O'Young should at the least pick up some good minutes playing for Australia A.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    I would have expected a junior signing if he wasn't, we still only have two scrummies on board, that's skinny by anyone's calculations!

C'mon the

vCash
    we have jon mcgrath in the academy !!!

Be There. Be Heard. Be The Force Behind The Force

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    I would have expected a junior signing if he wasn't, we still only have two scrummies on board, that's skinny by anyone's calculations!
    Perhaps they are banking on Josh Valentine coming over.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by force addict View Post
    we have jon mcgrath in the academy !!!
    There is a reason he is in the academy and not the Force squad anymore.

PS. Is that a V sign with the back of your hand facing the camera? That's a little offensive.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast