Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pie orders half a dozen

vCash

Pie orders half a dozen

6 Pies please

Waratahs out to do things by half-dozen

Greg Growden Chief Rugby Correspondent
    | April 30, 2008

THE Waratahs will this weekend attempt to become the first NSW team to win six Super matches in a row, but they have already achieved another extraordinary feat - they have gone four hours without conceding a try.

Last night officials were uncertain whether it was a Waratahs record, but were still delighted that before Sharks winger Odwa Ndungane touched down in the final moments of Saturday night's game, NSW had enjoyed a 254-minute period during which no-one had crossed their line.

After the Blues scored in the second half of their round-eight match in Sydney, both the Force and Lions were kept tryless, before the Sharks eventually broke the drought in the 77th minute.

The Waratahs have for some time prided themselves on their resilient defence, which saw them concede the least number of points in 2005 and 2006. This year they are running second in that category behind the table-topping Crusaders.

But they will find it even more satisfying if they can at last pass the mark of five successive wins by defeating the Bulls in Pretoria on Saturday. On four occasions the Waratahs have racked up five successive victories. The added incentive this weekend is the virtual guarantee of a semi-final berth if they keep the streak alive.

Waratahs defensive coach Les Kiss yesterday praised his players for keeping the opposition at bay for so long. Kiss said he had been impressed by the youthful Tahs backs' camaraderie and willingness to help each other.

"One of the great characteristics of this team is that they are not trying to be perfect, but it is in their nature to always attempt to cover for each other," Kiss said yesterday.

When told of the 254-minute opposition try drought, Kiss said: "You have to be delighted with that. You can't look at that lightly and say it just happened. What we have been trying to do is build all the elements of our game so that it helps each part. Your four main elements are the set-piece, attack, defence and your kicking. If one is down, often the other three have on the night been above par to cover." [EDIT: Kicking is often down so the balance has to be made up with awesomeness elsewhere]

Kiss said the drive of the players in wanting to completely shut out the opposition had turned them into their own harshest critics. "The intention of the players is not just the number of tackles they make in the game but that there is quality in the work they do," Kiss said. "That includes the type of impact they have in the tackle. There's an element of pride.

"They also have a real trust in each other and the system. They even have a deep trust in who is coming off the bench continuing the job properly. If everyone believes in what they're doing, it usually works."

The Waratahs' cause may be helped at the weekend by the fact the Bulls could be distracted by a court case involving their World Cup-winning second-rower, Bakkies Botha.

Botha has filed papers in the local labour court in a bid to have his contract with the South African Rugby Union and the Bulls declared invalid.

Botha, who described the Bulls as "tyrannical and autocratic",[EDIT: And homophobic] wants to be released so he can take up a lucrative offer with French club Toulon.

There were even reports Botha would be joined by fellow Springboks Bryan Habana and Wynand Olivier in strike action, but that has been denied by the Bulls.

Bulls coach Frans Ludeke is adamant Botha will play the final three rounds, including the Waratahs match.

The Brumbies, meanwhile, have left assistant coach Matt O'Connor out of the South African touring party. He has been granted an early release from his contract so he can pursue overseas coaching jobs. O'Connor failed in his bid to be the Brumbies' head coach next season.

Waratahs' longest streaks

FIVE MATCHES

2002 bt Chiefs, Stormers, Bulls, Cats and Sharks. Finished 2nd. Lost semi-final.

2005 (twice) bt Chiefs, Sharks, Cats, Stormers and Bulls … bt Brumbies, Highlanders, Reds, Blues and Bulls (semi-final). Finished 2nd. Lost final.

2006 bt Sharks, Cats, Western Force, Blues, Cheetahs. Finished 3rd. Lost semi-final.

2008 bt Cheetahs, Blues, Force, Lions and Sharks.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Laura Force Addict v Chook scrabble-off on Facebook: laura & Force Addict 0 | chook 9

Gigsa made me do it

"He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty." – Lao Tzu

vCash
    Haha, look at the effort on Kurtleys face to simply pass the ball...simple simple minds....either that or he has other things on his mind....another DUI?

vCash
    kurtley's done a DUI????

Last edited by force addict; 30-04-08 at 16:52. Reason: n00b
    Be There. Be Heard. Be The Force Behind The Force

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by force addict View Post
    kurtley's done a DUI????
    Yeah, in the middle of all the hype last season before he had even played a game...the media over there swiftly brushed it under the carpet like it never happened of course...

vCash
    a friend of a friend's friend has partied with Kurtley Beale a bit and said that he doesn't drink anymore, that's how much he was affected by the DUI charge.

you forgot to mention that he was also charged for driving without a license.

vCash
    Well, he ain't belted a Quokka yet. Or a Paddy Melon, they're cute, like quokkas. And he won a mazda when he had his licence suspended! Kurtley is awesome. he's like laser sliced bread, only better.

Laura Force Addict v Chook scrabble-off on Facebook: laura & Force Addict 0 | chook 9

Gigsa made me do it

"He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty." – Lao Tzu

vCash
    he got kicked in the bowels

Be There. Be Heard. Be The Force Behind The Force

vCash
    thats not gonna tickle

Gigsa made me do it

vCash
    i wouldnt say it was brushed under the carpet, i was living in Canberra at the time so i was getting plenty of the Sydney news broadcast, and it did make it over the news a fair bit. Considering he hadnt played a S14 game yet and he was only a few months out of highschool it wasnt a massive story granted.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TOCC View Post
    i wouldnt say it was brushed under the carpet, i was living in Canberra at the time so i was getting plenty of the Sydney news broadcast, and it did make it over the news a fair bit. Considering he hadnt played a S14 game yet and he was only a few months out of highschool it wasnt a massive story granted.
    Well considering the Henjak thing is mentioned in just about every article written about the Force, I am sure you get my meaning...

vCash
    The Waratahs have for some time prided themselves on their resilient defence, which saw them concede the least number of points in 2005 and 2006. This year they are running second in that category behind the table-topping Crusaders.

Defense wins Chapionships!

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chook View Post

FIVE MATCHES

2002 bt Chiefs, Stormers, Bulls, Cats and Sharks. Finished 2nd. Lost semi-final.

2005 (twice) bt Chiefs, Sharks, Cats, Stormers and Bulls … bt Brumbies, Highlanders, Reds, Blues and Bulls (semi-final). Finished 2nd. Lost final.

2006 bt Sharks, Cats, Western Force, Blues, Cheetahs. Finished 3rd. Lost semi-final.

2008 bt Cheetahs, Blues, Western Force, Lions and Sharks.
    See what we do you for your Tahs Chook

I do however see a trend appearing

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    I do see the trend!!! The Tahs pretty much rock!!! I thank you for highlighting that point cos I was in a hurry.

It's not really about the winning though TIF, its just that they are a good to team and play good football a lot of the time and have nice players.

Gigsa made me do it

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash
    I see a trend as well.

The Tahs are Bridesmaids

Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

vCash
    Wouldn't they have to always make the final to be bridesmaids??

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast