Thread: Reds run-on debut for Higginbotham

vCash

Reds run-on debut for Higginbotham

Reds run-on debut for Higginbotham

29/04/2008 3:24:23 PM
    Sportal

Queensland Reds Academy backrower Scott Higginbotham will make his run-on debut in Friday night's clash with the Blues at Suncorp Stadium after being called in to replace the injured John Roe.

Higginbotham was given the nod after blindside flanker Roe succumbed to the shoulder injury that forced him off during the first half of last Saturday's game against the Chiefs.

The match against the Blues will be the first starting appearance for 21-year-old Higginbotham, who earned the first of his two caps as a replacement against the Bulls in round five, marking his arrival with a thumping tackle on Springbok speedster Bryan Habana only seconds after coming off the bench.

Reds coach Phil Mooney said Higginbotham, an Australian Sevens player and the 2007 Reds Academy Player of the Year, will give the club some extra pace and power as they seek to combat the expansive Blues.

"Scott has a big pair of boots to fill (as Roe's replacement) but we're confident he'll have a real dig and that's what we need from our whole backrow against the Blues – a high work rate and solid defence," Mooney said.

Scrumhalf Sam Cordingley also failed to satisfy the medical staff that he has recovered from his calf injury and has been given another week's rest.

Wing Digby Ioane (broken finger) proved his fitness, however, with a powerful 40 minutes off the bench against the Chiefs and earned a starting spot ahead of Brando Va'aulu, who moves to the bench.

Tighthead prop Dayna Edwards has been rotated back into the starting side after swapping jerseys with Rodney Blake for the Chiefs match.

Mooney said Edwards and Ioane had both earned their starting spots with good performances off the bench in the 32-30 loss to the Chiefs.

"Dayna helped improve the scrum when he came on for Rodney (Blake) against the Chiefs and Digby just blew everyone away with his arrival in the second half, which helped give us the momentum we needed," Mooney said.

"That said, Rodney seemed to lift his game when he came back off the bench as a front row replacement, so we'll revert to using him as an impact weapon against the Blues."

Wing Peter Hynes (ankle), scrumhalf Ben Lucas (knee) and reserve scrumhalf Will Genia (ankle) have all bounced back from niggling injuries they received against the Chiefs, while lock James Horwill will again captain the side in the absence of Cordingley.

The team is (from fullback): Clinton Schifcofske, Digby Ioane, Morgan Turinui, Berrick Barnes, Peter Hynes, Quade Cooper, Ben Lucas, Leroy Houston, David Croft, Scott Higginbotham, James Horwill (c), Van Humphries, Dayna Edwards, Stephen Moore, Ben Coutts. Reserves: Sean Hardman, Rodney Blake, Ed O'Donoghue, Poutasi Luafutu, Will Genia, Charlie Fetoai, Brando Va'aulu

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to Giteau."

Veteran Bookie
    Contributor
    vCash
    There seems to be no shortage of big boofy blokes for the frontrow in QLD, which is good overall, for Australian rugby.

Higginbotham is a awesome name, seriously English and crusty. Best bookshop ive seen anywhere was in India, Madras, Tamil Nadu.......Higginbothams,Anna Salai Chennai. A place time forgot.Circa 1920, decor very Raj. The only thing missing is a hyphen.

the punters friend..... stick with me and you will be wearing

vCash
    TLH types more than 3 words. Will wonders never cease?

Laura Force Addict v Chook scrabble-off on Facebook: laura & Force Addict 0 | chook 9

Gigsa made me do it

"He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty." – Lao Tzu

vCash
    He played off the bench one game earlier this season and made a couple of massive hits on defence and runs the ball very hard. Will be a handy addition against the blues.

Veteran Bookie
    Contributor
    vCash
    Good luck to him. Chook get a grip3 weeks of pain coming up

vCash
    Good of you to realise the pain the Force will feel. They will recover, just call it character building!!

One day the ladder will read Tahs 1st, Force 2nd Reds 3rd and Gumbies 4th

Laura Force Addict v Chook scrabble-off on Facebook: laura & Force Addict 0 | chook 9

Gigsa made me do it

"He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty." – Lao Tzu

Veteran Bookie
    Contributor
    vCash
    Slow day at GTT, Chookster?

vCash
    I'm a citizen of the internet world Flower Pot, I spread the love near and far

Gigsa made me do it

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chook View Post
    heres hoping! you host the final, we win the final .........

vCash
    I'd take that anyday!

Yeah, go the Higginboththingy kiddy, he sounds the goods. Keep your head down and dont drop the ball, push and tackle and all that shite.

Good luck boyo

Gigsa made me do it

vCash
    i might even head over for that .... haven't been to sydney for a few years.....

vCash
    he has more of the physique of a openside flanker then Roe has, Roe is too small for openside, to big and slow for blindside and to small for number 8..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nearthtop View Post
    i might even head over for that .... haven't been to sydney for a few years.....
    I will buy you a single beer (possibly a schooner) if you do

Gigsa made me do it

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chook View Post
    From your keyboard to God's ears...wouldn't that give our SANZAR chums a whole new something to moan about? And you can almost hear it in the NH - "Told you the ELVs were a scam, it was just a trick to make the scrum more important...bloody Aussies...send all the Kiwis home to balance things up..."