Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Tough call but maybe Latham should go?

vCash

Tough call but maybe Latham should go?

Tough call but maybe Latham should go?
    Mark Ella | April 27, 2008

SOME may think it unthinkable but Wallabies coach Robbie Deans should consider dumping fullback Chris Latham.

Latham is still one of the game's most exciting players but his future now lies abroad and perhaps it is time to give either the Brumbies Mark Gerrard or the Force's Cameron Shepherd enough time to fully develop into the position before the next World Cup in New Zealand in three years' time.

Both these players like to chance their arm and I wouldn't complain if either was picked in the No.15 jersey. Under Deans they will learn to counter-attack more and that must be a good thing.

Deans is obviously having a sneaky look at the performances of all four Australian Super 14 teams and overall he'll be pretty happy.

With only three rounds of this year's Super series competition left to go before the finals Deans will particularly happy with the young exciting Australian players.

Deans must decide whether to go for youth across the board or stick with Wallabies who have been around for a while and take a slowly as she goes approach.

Obviously it will be impossible to leave out senior players like captain Stirling Mortlock who is edging on in years or the likes of Lote Tuqiri, George Smith or Phil Waugh but by a large Australian rugby needs complete reform and the only way I can see that happening by change.

On the wings Tuqiri has certainly done enough for the Waratahs over the past five weeks to show the selectors that he still has the passion to play for the Wallabies and he will be one of the first picked.

The other wing position will be interesting with Drew Mitchell the senior ahead of Waratahs flyer Lachlan Turner, who has had a mixed year trying to prove to most of us that he is a fullback when he doesn't haven't the foresight to play at the back.

I would give him the first opportunity on the wing ahead of Mitchell although Turner is far from being the finished product. He needs to cut his error rate as well limiting his tendency to kick.

When he runs with the football he is a dangerous player but I don't feel he has given his best for the Waratahs this season.

The centre combination is easily the most contentious selection of all.

Do we play Mortlock at inside or outside centre, is Matt Giteau going to play five-eighth or inside centre, do we need two ball players bringing Berrick Barnes into the equation and what do we do with one of the form centres Ryan Cross?

Is young Waratahs centre Rob Horne the way to go, use Tyrone Smith or has veteran Scott Staniforth still got something to offer at this level?

I do believe Adam Ashley-Cooper is a player who deserves more game time at Test level. Decisions, decisions.

Much will depend on what type of game Deans wants to play but with the large number of backline candidates he has plenty of options although with Giteau expected to the No.10, a dedicated No.12 doesn't jump out at you.

If Mortlock is at outside centre this will open an opportunity for Berrick Barnes because Deans has always coached teams with two playmakers in the 10 and 12 jerseys.

He could also experiment with Cross at inside centre or even a combination of Barnes and Cross or even Smith and Horne against the Irish or French.

My former Test team-mate Michael O'Conner mentioned that he would prefer a Giteau-Barnes combination in mid-field and that makes sense but at the end of the day we will see some experimentation in 2008.

Giteau is tipped to walk into the Wallabies No.10 jersey and I am not about to argue otherwise.

Waratahs five-eighth Kurtley Beale is getting better with every game and will figure in selection discussions but there are still many parts of his game that need fine tuning.

With Deans on board, Beale will improve rapidly although he will be under pressure from Reds five-eighth Quade Cooper who has played well in a team not winning and sometimes this can be an asset in tough times.

The halfback position is also a bit of a lottery although you would have to expect that the Waratahs No.9 Luke Burgess has the front running, particularly after being a positive influence in turning the stodgy Waratahs around.

He has a good pass, is prepared to back himself and has speed on his side which is a good start.

The other contenders Josh Holmes, Patrick Phibbs both from the Brumbies and Sam Cordingley are good players but Cordingley struggles to play two games in a row and Phibbs, while enjoying a good season at the Brumbies, is probably past his best.

The Wallabies number eight has to be Wycliff Palu and after watching him destroy the Sharks in Sydney On Saturday makes me glad that I never had to play against him. He would have scared me, running through the mid-field channel all day.

Richard Brown from the Force also deserves some mention after a fine season but the up and down nature of the Force this year hasn't helped his chances.

The two flanker positions is a complete toss up with the old guys like George Smith, Waugh, Rocky Elsom, under pressure from rising stars Julian Salvi, David Pocock, Mark Chisholm and Dean Mumm to mention only a few.

The second-row positions, once the domain of Nathan Sharpe and Dan Vickerman, may be tested this year, particularly with the noise coming from the Reds James Horwill who is an aggressive youngster who wants to represent his country.

I won't even go into the props because there are many young players coming through who will need time to establish their careers and learn the intricacies of the scrum.

These positions remain a worry.

The hooker position should be given to Waratahs Tatafu Polota-Nau. He is a dynamic player and adds greater dimension to the game in broken play and he will get better playing at the elite level. Clearly he should have been in last year's RWC squad to France.

I hope the selectors keep the future in mind when they choose teams for this year's Tests which start against Ireland in Melbourne on June 14.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Jehna; 28-04-08 at 15:29. Reason: As requested Laura :)

vCash
    if he dumps him i will cry

give him one more gold jersey before he heads off over seas!!!!!!!!

Be There. Be Heard. Be The Force Behind The Force

vCash
    Mods can you fix the title please...it is meant to say 'go' on the end.

Thanks

vCash
    He has had his day. No time for sentiment in the Wallabies camp. All games should be geared towards developing a team for Bledisloe and RWC glory so that means experimenting with young blood.

Laura Force Addict v Chook scrabble-off on Facebook: laura & Force Addict 0 | chook 9

Gigsa made me do it

"He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty." – Lao Tzu

vCash
    thats a better article then the other one.

he is right, giving the fullback spot to someone else is a good idea and will help them later on. Latham is still the best though.

vCash
    I won't, while he probably deserves a game, he is buggering off to Europe and we are aiming at 2011. Latham has been a great servant to the game in Australia, but he is moving on so why can't the Aussie selectors in giving someone who will be here for the next world cup (like Gerrard or Shep) a chance to make the position their own.

I know this may sound harsh, just my opinion.

He may be missed initially, i will miss him myself, he is one of the greatest full backs ever produced in my opinion

vCash
    i suppose its a good opportunity to find a good replacement, but lath will always be a wallaby great, not only for me but for the rest of the wallaby supporters

vCash
    Yep, the future is nigh and Latham is no longer part of that future...

(a.k.a. Mr Pinkbits) Stone Cold's Avatar
    vCash
    time to give the youngsters a go...(esp Shep!)

also why wouldn't you pick Mitchell first...RWC should have cemented spot

coz Stone Cold says so

vCash
    bring back Huxley!

vCash
    Huxley.

Huxley is not a good player. I think he has/had some skill but he can't step up to the mark. A bit like Katich or Matthew Elliot, plenty of natural talent but missing the intestinal fortitude and mental toughness to make it in the big league.

Laura Force Addict v Chook scrabble-off on Facebook: laura & Force Addict 0 | chook 9

Gigsa made me do it

"He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty." – Lao Tzu

vCash
    damn

vCash
    Can't argue with that..sounds like the way to go. Latham out, give it to Sheps and Gerrard to fight it out.

I don't see how he can suggest Turner over Mitchell especially when he says Turner "needs to cut down his error rate and tendency to kick." I think that should mean Turner hasn't proven himself sufficiently to get the nod over Mitchell. Mitchell's shown he's matured as a player and a winger and should be in the starting XV.

If we go purely on S14 form then there should be no doubt that Cross should start, however, Mortlock is captain of all of Australia and a seasoned performer and this might carry him over the line. As we all know, getting dropped as a captain is hard enough, getting dropped as a captain and out of the starting XV altogether is not common and certainly not a decision a coach would take unless he really has to.

Personally I'd like to see the Gits-Barnes combination get the tick. I'm a believer in having two Stand-offs in the starting XV with an aggressive 12 sitting on the bench.

"Richard Brown from the Force also deserves some mention after a fine season but the up and down nature of the Force this year hasn't helped his chances." The up and down nature of the Force"..c'mon Ella, sounds like a contradiction to me. Its fine for Quade who's in a up and down team but not for Brown. It must be said though that Palu's form on Saturday was top notch stuff and if this is consistent then he should get the job.

All in all, its fantastic to see quite a number quality young talented players coming through and putting their hands up for the Wallabies. New coach Deans has alot going for him and the opportunity to rebuild and all we can do is wish him luck. Sit tight everyone.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KenyaQuin View Post
    Richard Brown from the Force also deserves some mention after a fine season but the up and down nature of the Force this year hasn't helped his chances."
    isn't it the player you focus on? If a player is good, a player is good. So what if the Force hasn't had 'good' results. Gits is a good player and would make the team despite his team not doing so well, so would any other player

vCash
    Its hard to look good in a shitzen team though, unless you are Gits. That rule applies to all teams except the Waratahs, who pretty much rock in all positions and are the best team in the universe.

Gigsa made me do it

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast