Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: All time best Rugby game

vCash

All time best Rugby game

In lieu of some recent comments, I have decided to make a thread where you can share memories or recollect your all time favourite rugby game or try

Whether it be a Super14, Tri-Nations, Bledisloe Cup, World Cup, Six Nations or general Spring Tour/exhibition match, share the highlights of your favourite game or try here...

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by laura; 24-04-08 at 18:18. Reason: added in favourite try

vCash
    Force vs Hurricanes for the truly best feeling of winning for the first time at home. and after the siren. Beats John Eales's anyday for me.

or

Force vs Sharks 2007 for beating the top team for the season.

vCash
    Oooo.... Force vs Hurricanes was very good- was my first ever Force home game!!!

Also John Eales last game- was a Bledisloe at the Olympic Stadium in Sydney, 2001 I think- all seemed lost until a last gasp Totai Kefu (sp?) try right under the posts in front of me- great send off for Eaelsy.

Atmosphere at RWC Final 2003 was great- at least until all the grown men around me started crying. Shame about the result- was a much more competitive game than I reckon alot of people were giving the Wallabies credit for going into it at any rate.

vCash
    For some reason nobody ever remembers this game, but I thought that South Africa vs New Zealand at Ellis Park in 1997 was absolutely extraordinary...

vCash
    Possibly not the best game in terms of performance, but the South Africa v Uruguay game at Subiaco Oval on October 11 during the 2003 Rugby World Cup. This is the first ever Rugby Union game I watched and got my hooked on the joys of the all that is Rugby Union.

As for performance, I loved watching Japan during the 2007 world cup, when they picked up the ball at one end of the field and ran the full length of the field to score a try!!

vCash
    wallabies v all blacks, i think it was in 2000 bedisloe cup game

when NZ got most of there points in the first 10 minutes. then Australia came back but then jonah lomu scored that try.

Tonga vs South Africa in the world cup was one of the best games in the world cup last year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jazza93 View Post
    I think that game should be banned, isn't it called 'The Greatest game of all time' or something already?

Senior Player Contributor gustafsl's Avatar
    vCash
    Haven't been watching Rugby for that long...so can't really comment on anything pre 2004. So for me it is Australia - South Africa from a couple years ago when we beat them 36-0.

As for Force games, obviously beating the Hurricanes last year and smashing the Reds were both great games. But I'm going to go with Force v Crusaders this year. No one else even looked close to beating the Crusaders in the early going this year. And if they didn't have all their injuries, probably no one would have beat them. So to get 4 tries on them and come very close to knocking them off was an outstanding effort for the boys....and still the best Super 14 game this year.

vCash
    Very nearly my favourite Number 2 for me but I reckon most people would have it at number 1...

vCash
    yea the greatest game ever or soemthing like that BLR.

the crowd was one of the biggest ever as well, 110 000

vCash
    I have a few to input (no surprises here). In no particular order,

1. The 2007 Force v Hurricanes game (as above). Sheps on the buzzer try followed by his touchline conversion. Can't beat the feeling.

2. Force Crusaders 2008. Would have to be the best S14 game I've watched in memory for sheer pace and entertainment (even though we lost). 9 tries in the game, of these Brown's try is the exception.

3. Barbarians v All Blacks 1973. Final score 23-11..doesn't sound like much but what a game especially from the Welsh contingent of Gareth Edwards, Phil Bennett, JPR Williams and John Dawes (there were 7 in total). Gareth Edwards try said to be one of the best of all time if not THE best. Highlight of the game though would have to be the side steps and grandiose dummies reminiscent of the day.

4. Bledisloe Cup 2001 @ the then Stadium Australia. Last minute Kefu try to cap off a remarkable game and a fitting send-off for John Eales.

5. British Lions series tour to South Africa 1997. What (touring) rugby is about..bring back the TOURS! Enough of these one-off tests blah blah crap.

Last edited by KenyaQuin; 24-04-08 at 14:59. Reason: one more

vCash

vCash
    1. force vs hurricanes
    2. scotland vs england grand slam decider 1990 ( when scotland walked on to the field)
    3.wales vs fiji RWC 2007.

vCash
    Thanks Jazza on behalf of all who've not had the pleasure of seeing this before. Let it be known that Gareth Edwards was my teenage hero (when I met rugby) and is the main reason I became a scrummie.

For those interested, this game (Barbarians v All BLacks 1973) is available on DVD and can be purchased online rather easily (unlike other great games). Also easily available, for those interested in rugby in general and not just the Force/Wallabies and will for certain make you love the game even more (if that is possible), try getting WELSH RUGBY SIX OF THE BEST THE 70'S. This features the best of the Golden Years.

Now,

vCash
    How far back do video records of games go? I am curious of seeing the games that Spiro Zavos (I think) talks about when the all blacks used to not use three men in the front row for example...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast