Thread: Doctor queries wisdom of Lote's action

vCash

Doctor queries wisdom of Lote's action

Doctor queries wisdom of Lote's action
    Wayne Smith | April 18, 2008 Doctor queries wisdom of Lote's action | The Australian

LOTE TUQIRI's well-intentioned actions in rolling Matt Giteau on his side after he was knocked out in last weekend's Waratahs-Western Force match could have caused Giteau to spend the rest of his life in a wheelchair.

That is a worst-case and even alarmist scenario. But so widespread was the media's coverage of Tuqiri's spontaneous act of good sportsmanship that Force team doctor Peter Steele has become concerned that other players might follow the Wallabies winger's example with disastrous consequences.

Had Giteau suffered a cervical spine fracture when his front-on tackle of Waratahs fullback Sam Norton-Knight went horribly wrong at Subiaco Oval, Tuqiri's actions in rolling him 90 degrees onto his side could have seriously damaged his spinal cord, Steele warned yesterday.

"He (Giteau) was lucky that there was no further damage," Steele said.

"It's very rare to have a bad cervical spine fracture. Touch wood, we haven't had one in quite a while, but we always look at a worst-case scenario and prepare for that."

Rare as such injuries are, one occurred last September in the opening week of the NFL season when Buffalo Bills tight end Kevin Everett suffered fractures of the third and fourth vertebrae in his neck attempting a front-on tackle of the Denver Broncos' Domenik Hixon.

The tackle was almost identical to Giteau's, according to Steele, although the impact might have been greater.

The difference was that where Giteau was "only" knocked unconscious, Everett initially was paralsyed.

But thanks to a pioneering procedure by the Buffalos doctor to induce mild hypothermia by pumping cold saline into his body, the damage to Everett's spinal cord was minimised and he is now walking again.

The Force doctor praised Tuqiri for staying by Giteau when he saw his Wallabies team-mate slump to the ground and ensuring that he was not further injured as play went on around him.

"But he shouldn't have rolled him because of the risk of cervical spine fracture, because you really need three people to roll someone like that, to stabilise the head and neck," he said.

"So although the CPR guidelines are to roll someone onto their side, that's not the case if there might be a spinal injury. Even the lifesaving advice is that if someone is unconscious, they might have dived in and fractured their neck. So even lifesavers don't roll people onto their side. They stabilise their neck."

But what should Tuqiri have done? "Made sure the airway was clear but otherwise do nothing except stand guard," Steele said.

Giteau will miss the match against the Queensland Reds tonight but is expected to be fully recovered for the next game against the Chiefs on May 3. He admitted he would have done exactly what Tuqiri did had the positions been reversed.

"To be honest, I don't know what is the best thing to do," Giteau said. "I would have thought what Lote did was the best thing to do."

The Force's media officer Crispin Roberts first raised with Steele the question of whether Tuqiri had acted correctly. Roberts, who was rendered a quadriplegic in a scrum engagement while playing for Cottesloe nearly five years ago, admitted he had been concerned when he saw the Waratahs winger rolling Giteau onto his side.

"My heart was in my mouth," Roberts said.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    "To be honest, I don't know what is the best thing to do," Giteau said. "I would have thought what Lote did was the best thing to do."

I guess that they need to train the players on what to do.

vCash
    strange that because it was drilled into us at St Johns to consider the risk of choking more dire than damage to the spine.
    Lote also rolled him correctly by using both arms one supporting the neck & the other supporting the lower spine.
    but hey im no doctor so...jury's out i guess

Senior Player Contributor gustafsl's Avatar
    vCash
    I just knew that Lote was scum....I can't believe I thought what he did was a good thing. Just kidding. I have no idea. I agree is Larry....need to train the players on what to do. It is possible that Lote has had this training and to an extent knew what he was doing. I suspect this is targeted at junior players who may try to do the same thing but haven't had the training to role the player properly.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zimeric View Post
    strange that because it was drilled into us at St Johns to consider the risk of choking more dire than damage to the spine.
    Lote also rolled him correctly by using both arms one supporting the neck & the other supporting the lower spine.
    but hey im no doctor so...jury's out i guess
    But do you have a doctor on the sideline? If there's a doctor that can be there in less than a minute the player should simply call for help.

vCash
    He should check that the injured player hasn't swallowed his tongue though...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by beige View Post
    He should check that the injured player hasn't swallowed his tongue though...
    To put it correctly (as AS previously stated), it's not possible to actually swallow your own tongue (the frenulum keeps you from doing this), however, there are times, if unconscious, it can block the airway, which is why the head is tilted back with the chin up during rescue breathing-- it widens the area at the base of the tongue so air can get to the trachea.

vCash
    What Lote did is exactly what is instructed in CPR charts for an unconscious person. His intentions were good obviously. But not so obvious is the need for different protocols and far more caution in the event of violent contact or road/industrial injuries. Maybe that needs to be emphasized more to players at all levels. Help is not far away, after all.

vCash
    I love all this dirrrty talk...........