Deans plea to would-be retirees

Rupert Guinness | January 31, 2009

ROBBIE DEANS has urged players who feel they are slipping out of the selection frame to take a leaf from the book of Australia's front-rowers, who have fought their way back from abject humiliation to respectability.

The Wallabies coach said yesterday that the Australian front row's development from a laughing stock to a unit rated highly by their opponents was a "great example of the fact that nothing is forever. Everything is simply what you make of it. That is where your response to your circumstances is more important than the circumstance itself."

Deans rarely singles out individuals for praise or criticism, preferring to talk of the team as a whole. Yesterday, though, he referred to the Wallabies and Waratahs props who have come under most fire but have stuck to their tasks - Al Baxter and Matt Dunning.

"If you were to talk of players like Al Baxter from where I sat, I thought there was a realisation from those blokes they had done their apprenticeship," Deans said.
"There is a point in time, and that is whenever you strap on your boots, where you just get on with it. Just because something has happened in the past doesn't mean it is going to happen in the future."

Dunning switched from loose-head to tight-head last year with impressive results, but snapped his achilles tendon in the Wallabies' last game of the year against the Barbarians. While it was a potentially career-ending injury, Dunning may recover in time to play the end of the Sydney club season in time to push for a berth in this year's end of season Wallabies tour.

Asked if any of last year's touring party may now be closer to the end of their international careers, Deans said: "It is probably more what they think is critical. If they are starting to think that way, then maybe.

"There are obviously some blokes who will have anxieties but the key is that they channel their energy. Some would point to a player like Matt Dunning and say, 'Crikey, he has got an injury that can be career-ending.' He is getting a bit older as well. But all of those blokes are getting better by the year. And I think the front row is living proof of that. They have done their apprenticeship, and experience is valuable, so long as you have still got the enthusiasm. That [injury] was a tough pill for Matt to swallow. [But] he is excited about the future [as a Wallaby], and he is perfectly capable of having a future."

Deans revealed he had a "perception" of the Wallabies front row before he took on the coaching job last year, but added: "You see a lot more when you arrive. You have perceptions. Historically, there was some baggage. We have still got baggage to deal with as a group. We have dealt with some outcome bogies. We have started, but we have a way to go."

Deans said he also thought Waratahs flanker Phil Waugh had a bright future in the Wallabies despite the emergence of David Pocock and continued impact of Brumbies No.7 George Smith, but added: "I can't bring any clarity to the future. Probably the critical drive to that will be Phil himself what excites him."

Deans said he was optimistic about the prospects of the 13 new Wallabies blooded last year and hoped some of those rough diamonds could be polished up to increase the depth for the World Cup. "I created my template the other day, and it is blank." Deans said. "Obviously, those who have been involved who we have an awareness of have that advantage, but it depends on what they do with that. Hopefully, those who have had a taste will continue to grow. Hopefully, there is enthusiasm beyond that group."

Meanwhile, Deans said that if this year's Wallabies tour included an extra Test against England after matches against Wales, Scotland and Ireland, he would not think of it as a grand slam tour. "If that is put in place, I won't be approaching it as a grand slam tour. None of those sides have a connection. They don't see any connection between themselves. They are all stand-alone. They will defend their patch one at a time. That's the way we will approach it."

Former World Cup-winning prop Trevor Woodman has joined the Australian Rugby Union as its high-performance unit scrum coach.
Woodman, who retired from playing four years ago due to a back injury, will not become a member of the Wallabies coaching staff although he will be seconded to the Wallabies squad if required by coach Robbie Deans.
The Englishman's brief will be to work across the entire spectrum of the ARU programs, from the 15- to 18-year-old National Talent Squads up.

http://www.rugbyheaven.com.au/news/n...e#contentSwap1