Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Umaga struggles to control his temper

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash

Umaga struggles to control his temper

Umaga struggles to control his temper
    Sunday News | Sunday, 06 April 2008
    Umaga struggles to control his temper - New Zealand's source for sport, rugby, cricket & league news on Stuff.co.nz

Tana Umaga's coaching career is hanging by a thread after he was sensationally red-carded while coaching glamour French club Toulon.

Umaga whose side has lost four of their last seven games was sent off last week after he left his coaching box to march onto the field at the end of a five-minute all-in brawl. He carried water bottles so he could address his forward pack.

The farcical scene only got uglier for the All Blacks legend when he ignored the referee's orders to get off the field.

After he refused to turn and face the referee Umaga was sent off.

The embarrassing affair led some senior Toulon officials to question Umaga's future at the club.

Sunday News understands that even before Umaga's march of shame, billionaire president Mourad Boudjellal had approached former Bulls coach Heyneke Meyer, who was the man many believe should have replaced Jake White as Springboks coach.

Toulon were slapped with a $20,000 fine for a brawl on March 15 and face heftier punishment, along with Umaga, for the incident against Pau when they front up to a disciplinary hearing on April 16.

Boudjellal was an admirer of Umaga as a player but is desperate to see a return on the fortune he's ploughed into the second division team. Sunday News understands Meyer has already held a series of meetings with the club in France.

After a recent loss Boudjellal is believed to have blasted Umaga who is being paid $1.3m a season and his highly-paid players.

As well as Umaga, Saimone Taumoepeau was also shown a red card in the game against Pau while George Gregan was shown yellow for shouting an obscenity. Last month Boudjellal called a hastily-arranged press conference where he gave Umaga the dreaded vote of confidence before admitting the club was in a mini-crisis and announced some extraordinary measures he'll be taking.

These included isolating the team from the public and keeping them locked away in a secret location, demanding their games were no longer televised, banning pre-match press conferences and making just one player or coach available for post-match comments.

Umaga has been a long-time critic of referees, famously sounding off about them after playing his last game for the Hurricanes in May.

"I'm going to tell my son to become a ref because it's the safest job in the world and you get paid well for it. That's the frustration I've had for a long time and it's simmered to the top this year. But what can you do?"

Umaga said what frustrated players most was the inconsistency of referees.

"It's hard when they change from week to week and say one thing in the changing room before the game and then go out and it's totally different from what they said and you can't understand why. It's consistency of what they rule that's been the problem. It's come to a stage where sometimes they are refereeing more on reputation than what they see."

Players on the books of Toulon include Anton Oliver, Andrew Mehrtens, Victor Matfield, Orene Ai'i, Tusi Pisi, Lawrence Sephaka, Dan Luger, Chris Rossouw. Boudjellal has tried to sign Jerry Collins and Schalk Burger in the past and Sunday News has been told he's desperate to sign Dan Carter for next season.

He is currently locked in a legal battle with the Bulls to bring Bakkies Botha to the club.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

vCash
    Don't know whether to laugh or cry - George Gregan was shown yellow card for shouting an obscenity - mad stuff

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

vCash
    tana umaga has anger management issues? GAH! i thought he was a genuine bloke, a good sport. i didn't know he was coaching, overseas!!! i was watching european league london irish vs perpignon last night, PETER HEWAT AND PERCY MONTGOMERY AND MIKE CATT? i think WERE ALL THERE! eeeeek!!!

Be There. Be Heard. Be The Force Behind The Force

vCash
    Man, i wish i could've seen this...is there any video footage anywhere???

That's frickin' hilarious

vCash

vCash
    omg yes!! i'd love to see this~!

vCash
    found it on Utube only 4000 views so far

vCash
    Sad, sad, sad.

Rupeni scored a sensational try - that's what people pay to see.

Brother Gallagher I hear you

vCash
    french rugby....punchups.....cheapshots.....nah no way dont believe it (hahaha) with all that talent at toulon its hard to see why they need to carry on like that to earn respect.....still admire umaga one of me favorite players, the speech he made after shepherds try and conversion to beat the canes was first class

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Thequeerone View Post
    found it on Utube only 4000 views so far

YouTube - French Rugby Hysteria
    Fantastic to see the style of Rugby I remember watching as a kid.

If one of your team mates gets hit, you all should get in and stand up for him.

A beautiful thing

Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

vCash
    its a hell big punch up!! all of both teams involved!! pretty awesome..

vCash
    At least he left his handbag at home this time...

I made Happy sad...

vCash

Posted via space

vCash
    I see stuff like this, and I see "normal" games without the all-in brawls.

Then I catch a bit of AFL on the telly where there's a bit of guernsey-tugging and shirt-fronting, and I just cannot understand what they're getting so upset about. Perhaps AFL players need to watch some rugby and get their little tiffs in perspective.

Success is not final, failure is not fatal:
    it is the courage to continue that counts.
    - Winston Churchill

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    And tell me there won't be an extra 1000 spectators at the next game...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast