Thread: Force's Mackay sore, but 'not sorry'

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Force's Mackay sore, but 'not sorry'

March 20, 2008 - 3:39PM

He is sore, he is not playing that well, and he is missing home - but Western Force centre Lachlan MacKay could not be happier.

Because compared to the torture of two years on the sidelines with injuries that threatened his career, MacKay's slight discomfort in body and mind ahead of this week's clash with the Highlanders is a mere trifle.

MacKay will play his third game of the year in Queenstown this Saturday - matching the output of the previous two seasons decimated by a run injuries which started in the Force's inaugural game.

The knee ligament damage suffered against the Brumbies was followed by persistent hamstring and groin complaints which took MacKay from inside the Wallaby squad to the outer reaches of the Force set-up.

But after battling back to earn a call-up against the Crusaders a fortnight ago, a try in that game saw MacKay retained for last week's historic win over the Blues and this week's clash in Queenstown.

"I pulled up quite ginger after that first game. But things have got better and better, especially in the groins which is what has caused me the big dramas in the last few weeks," MacKay said.

"I'm a little bit sore in the ribs from playing last week, but that is no dramas - just bumps and bruises from getting used to playing, getting back out there.

"And it is good soreness that I have not had in a while, and actually waking up with it because at least I know I have been in a game of football.

"Fingers crossed, it has been good so far and hopefully I can get stronger and stronger as the year goes on."

The 25 year-old, who is in the last year of his contract at the Force, made headway in the second half last week with the Perth side scoring 20 unanswered points to shock the Blues and the rest of the Super 14.

MacKay admits he is still finding his feet back in the side after so long on the sidelines.
    "I started a little bit poorly, and getting game time again and getting my confidence back in the contact has probably the slowest thing to come back," MacKay said.

"I missed a few tackles early, got a bit better from there on in, but Mitch made a couple of changes to the backline which really helped us the last 20 minutes.

MacKay said with the carrot of three successive home games to follow this weekend's duel against the winless Highlanders was crucial.

"This game, if anything, is more important than last week. If we can get away with two wins in New Zealand that would set up a huge opportunity for us," MacKay said.

http://news.rugbyheaven.com.au/force...0320-20nm.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Champion
    vCash
    I'll give him a massage!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!