Thread: Red-hot Schif offered new deal

vCash

Red-hot Schif offered new deal

Red-hot Schif offered new deal
    Red-hot Schif offered new deal - Rugby - Fox Sports

March 19, 2008 RUGBY'S late-in-life success story Clinton Schifcofske is torn between a new contract offer from the Reds and his long-held dream of playing football overseas.

When the decade-long stalwart of rugby league switched codes to play for the Reds in 2007, his master plan was always to extend his football life with a stint abroad.

That was always to be next year, when at 33, it would be now-or-never time for a deal with a European or Japanese rugby club or even playing with an English Super League club.

Schifcofske's presence in the Penrith coaches' box at Suncorp Stadium last Sunday during the slaying from the Brisbane Broncos was unwitting fodder for conspiracy theorists.

Schifcofske has ruled out any return to the NRL. It was merely the best view in the house on the invitation of Panthers coach Matt Elliott, his former Canberra Raiders mentor and mate.

Schifcofske is in the best form and confidence of his short 15-game Super 14 career as a winger after a few uncertain moments while finding his feet at fullback in a losing team last year.

"I'm really feeling that extra confidence, knowing the when and where to kick situations and when to run," Schifcofske said.

"Obviously, having the fullback (Chris Latham) we do and working on counter-attack with him has the potential to open up more running chances too.

"There have been some low moments like that bad loss to the Brumbies in Canberra but that win over the Bulls is what this side is capable of."

Schifcofske, Latham and winger Peter Hynes all had fine games in the 40-8 hammering of the Bulls but the bigger test is backing it up against the Lions in Johannesburg on Sunday morning.

Father-of-two Schifcofske has been offered a new two-year deal at the Reds for the 2009-10 seasons.

"Clinton is in fantastic physical shape, his footwork is still very good and I'm sure he's learning all the time from Latho," Reds performance rugby manager Ben Whitaker said.

Schifcofske's manager Steve Gillis said there was "plenty to weigh up" with rugby prospects possible in France, England and Japan.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    He'd be stupid to re-sign, he won't play for the Wallabies and there is so much money up for grabs in his twilight seasons...

vCash
    If it's a long held dream to play overseas, he should go for it. I think the change to rugby was for the right reasons, to try something different and extend his time on the paddock. But that extension won't last too many more years. The Reds have some promising up & comers, but I still don't see many wins in the short term.

vCash
    he joined the Reds apparently because he was keen to return to Brisbane, im not sure if he approached the Broncos at the time though.

So if this is still the case, then remaining with the Reds is his best bet, on the other hand if he wants to go earn a quick dollar, then go to Europe. Im sure a player like him could easily earn $300k in either league or union.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TOCC View Post
    he joined the Reds apparently because he was keen to return to Brisbane, im not sure if he approached the Broncos at the time though.
    Original article:

When the decade-long stalwart of rugby league switched codes to play for the Reds in 2007, his master plan was always to extend his football life with a stint abroad.

vCash
    Haha, TOCC got shown what's what.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BLR View Post
    Haha, TOCC got shown what's what.
    i swear your maturity level drops a little every day.

anyway this is a quote from Clinton himself, not some journo's interpretation of the events.
    My wife Niomi and I are both Queenslanders. The Reds have provided us with an opportunity to return home and, equally importantly, provided me with a great challenge,”

“Queensland simply had more to offer in terms of lifestyle and a professional challenge,” Lewis said.
    Sports Australia - Rugby Union Media Release: Schifcofske signs with Reds [Jul 13, 2006]

vCash
    i swear your maturity level drops a little every day.

anyway this is a quote from Clinton himself, not some journo's interpretation of the events.
    1. You have to admit you were though, I mean, the reference to international plans was in the article that the topic is based on....

2. As for your quote, it sounds more like he is pandering to the Queenslanders to get on thier good books, anything to make the crowd happy eg. Tahu saying he was ready to get into Union despite the fact it now comes out he is broken goods, Digby Ioane saying he will re-sign with the Force despite later going back on the word and signing with the Reds. Also what would the journalist have to get out of the possibility of Schifcofske moving up north? I can't think of anything...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BLR View Post
    1. You have to admit you were though, I mean, the reference to international plans was in the article that the topic is based on....

2. As for your quote, it sounds more like he is pandering to the Queenslanders to get on thier good books, anything to make the crowd happy eg. Tahu saying he was ready to get into Union despite the fact it now comes out he is broken goods, Digby Ioane saying he will re-sign with the Force despite later going back on the word and signing with the Reds. Also what would the journalist have to get out of the possibility of Schifcofske moving up north? I can't think of anything...
    a apology would have being sufficient

vCash
    a apology would have being sufficient
    For what?

vCash
    for wasting my time

vCash
    for wasting my time
    I didn't ask you to read what I wrote...you chose to...I suppose next time you will know better.