Thread: Barnes in doubt for Reds in Super 14

Veteran Contributor The EnForcer's Avatar
    vCash

Barnes in doubt for Reds in Super 14

Taken from The Age

Barnes in doubt for Reds in Super 14
    Email Print Normal font Large font March 14, 2008 - 11:58AM

Advertisement
    Battling Queensland have more worries with Wallabies five-eighth Berrick Barnes in doubt for Saturday night's Super 14 clash against the Bulls with a calf injury.

Barnes will undergo a fitness test on Friday afternoon but will be given until kick-off to be cleared for action at Suncorp Stadium.

Reds coach Phil Mooney has centre Charlie Fetoai on stand-by to make his Super 14 starting debut if Barnes is ruled out.

The 21-year-old has struggled in training during a dramatic week at Ballymore after picking up the injury in the last-start 34-16 loss to the Stormers, in which he was also concussed.

"The head's all right I just have to get over a calf strain," Barnes said.

"I have a fitness test this afternoon and if I come through that I should be right."

Barnes, a revelation at last year's World Cup as an 11th-hour replacement for Stephen Larkham, has been named at inside centre against the reigning champion Bulls with Mooney promoting Quade Cooper to add extra attacking spark.

After three straight defeats to drop to 11th, the Reds are desperate for Barnes to take his place.

"We'll give him right up until the last minute," said Mooney, who has made six changes and also taken the captaincy from John Roe and given it to Sam Cordingley."

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Just happy to be here

vCash
    as much as i like Barnes, Quade Cooper played a more controlled game then Barnes has for the Reds in the past 2 years. Maybe 12 will becoe the permanent position of Barnes, especially considering how well Giteau is playing at 5/8.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!