Sun, Feb 12, 2023, 11:55 AM
Nathan Williamson

Former Force and Waratahs lock Sam Wykes has given a fascinating insight into the rollercoaster of emotions as he deals with life after Rugby.

Wykes retired at the end of 2021 after returning to NSW after stints with multiple clubs in Japan and the Sunwolves.

Catch every game of Super Rugby Pacific LIVE on Stan Sport. Start your Free Sport Trial Now

The 34-year-old's career was cut short after rupturing his bicep against the Reds in Round 6.

Wykes recounts the experience to RUPA, admitting the injury came almost as a 'relief' to the towering lock.

He details his struggles and frustrations with making the move off the field, having made his debut with the Force almost 15 years earlier.

“The initial feeling was one of relief because I knew I was done,” he admits

“I felt like I didn’t have to prove myself on a physical stage anymore because I couldn’t give any more but then it was scary because I had no idea what to do.

“I was vulnerable to a lot of emotions just to say ‘I wasn’t good at something’ straight away and that was frustrating, feeling like you had to start from the bottom again because your mindset is up competing at the highest level with the top 1%.

"To then go back to a normal sort of life, you’re looking for help…when you finish you don’t have any answers.”

Since then, Wykes has started to carve out his career in the media, hosting the 'That Pacific Sports Show' with Wallaroo Sera Naiqama amongst others.

He also has joined the commentary team for Fijian Drua home games as Wykes continues to 'put himself out there', encouraging fellow retired athletes to do the same thing.

“I think you just need to stay in contact with people, ask those questions and don’t be afraid to reach out to past players..don’t be afraid to put yourself out there,” he believes.

“I think you also need to be curious. If you’re going to start something while you’re playing, which you see all the time now, do it.

“If you can balance that whilst you’re playing, I think it’s better for you…if you do make a mistake, you at least know you have a paycheck on the monthly because when you finish, you do realise when that last paycheck comes in it’s like ’s***, I’ve got to be a bit conservative now’ but you need to have that crack.”

https://www.rugby.com.au/news/it-was...sition-2023210