Thread: Foundation Brumby set to raise century

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Foundation Brumby set to raise century

I'm sure all around the Australian rugby community are pleased for Bernie making this great milestone in an awesome career?
    Selected by many in their Super 12 Teams of the Decade, he has been a consistent fixture in Brumbies and Super 12 viewing.
    Well done Bernie, hopefully many more games to come!

Foundation Brumby set to raise century

February 15, 2006 - 9:15am
    Story by: ACTRU

Majestic playmaker Stephen Larkham will become the second CA Brumbies player to reach the remarkable milestone of 100 Super Rugby matches when the Brumbies take on the Bulls at the infamous Minolta Loftus ground this Friday night.
    The 31-year-old born and raised Canberran has provided the spark for many Brumbies victories since he made his debut in the ACT's very first Super 12 match against Transvaal at Canberra Stadium in 1996. Over a decade later he has a list of achievements that place him amongst the game's immortals.
    After entering the 90's in 2004 and after multiple bouts of surgery on his battle-weary body, the eleven-year veteran is relieved that the day has finally come.
    "It will be a very proud moment and one which I've been looking forward to. It's been in the back of my mind and I probably tried to come back (from injury) a little bit too early last season, which was to my detriment, but It's a nice feeling to have made it to 100 games," he said.
    Larkham will line up alongside fellow centurion George Gregan this Friday night, the player who was first to reach 100 matches in the Brumbies jersey.
    "I wish him all the best (for the match). There's no player more deserved of the milestone and its been great to have the opportunity to share most of those matches with him and to watch him develop as a player," said Gregan.
    Nick-named 'Bernie' by his teammates early in his career because of his quiet nature and lack of real expression (named after Bernie, a dead character from the movie 'Weekend at Bernie's'), Larkham has developed into a leader of the highest class.
    After making his debut at outside centre in the inaugural Brumbies match, Larkham was switched to fullback, where he spent the first three years of his professional career.
    It was in 1998 however that the real potential of Stephen Larkham was uncovered. An injury crisis had hit the 1998 Wallabies, prompting then Coach Rod Macqueen to hand him the Australian Number 10 jersey.
    From that point on, the always gifted and instinctive rugby talent has developed into the premier flyhalf in Super 14 and test rugby.
    "It proved to be a great move for me and as the years have gone by I have stepped up into more of a leadership role and have learned to say a bit more than what I did when i first started with the team," said Larkham.
    "I'm still really enjoying my rugby and I want to get at least a year in overseas once I've finished with the Brumbies. Winning a Super 14 would be nice too," he said.
    After growing up on his parents' Murrambateman property, a thirty-minute drive from Canberra, Larkham has treasured every match in his beloved blue, white and gold jersey.
    "The Brumbies are my club team in a way, I've got Wests in the Canberra competition but I've always thought of the Brumbies as my Club team," he said.
    "When the Brumbies started and we were matched up against teams from New South Wales, Queensland and teams from around the world it was an exciting time. Having the chance to represent the ACT in an international competition was a huge buzz."
    "We had always played competed with the other states but to play them in a fully professional competition was a big deal for Canberra and that's what formed the culture at the Brumbies and contributed to the success we have had."
    Such is Larkham's modesty that he declined an offer from Captain Stirling Mortlock to lead the team out against the Bulls this Friday night.
    "If it had of been a home game I would have probably taken him up on it. There might be something said before the game but apart from that I'm going to stick to a normal routine," he said.
    Brumbies Inside Centre Matt Giteau sums it up best.
    "To most people that meet Bernie or play with him, he comes across as a bit of a nerd. But what he does on the field, he's just a freak. He reads the game so well and he's so calm in any situation. He's an unbelievable player and as long as there's enough tape to keep him together, he'll probably play forever."

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Good stuff Bernie, long time coming but he deserves to join the 100 club.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!