Thread: Shepherd next in line to stay at Force

Legend Contributor
    vCash

Shepherd next in line to stay at Force

World Cup Wallaby Cameron Shepherd is on the verge of agreeing a long-term deal to stay at the Western Force - a team he boldly predicts could become one of Super 14's superpowers.

With skipper Nathan Sharpe recently committing himself to Perth until 2011 - and Matt Giteau talking positively about doing the same despite declining an early deal - Shepherd is the latest of the Force's internationals to discuss a new contract.

And with Shepherd saying only details needed to be ironed out, the 23-year-old former Waratah revealed his re-signing was imminent, as was the Force's rise to the summit of Super 14.

"It will happen in the next few weeks, I am just organising a few minor details and as soon as that is settled I will be signing. It will definitely be for a few years," Shepherd said.

"Everything has combined, I love Perth and think it is a great place to live, and the set-up we have got here is a great core group of players with a young age.

"We are slowly starting to develop a positive way of playing and I think it is showing on the field."

Coming off a 29-24 home defeat to the Crusaders which Shepherd described as one of the hardest he had ever had to cope with, the Force's task gets no easier leaving on Thursday for New Zealand to take on the Blues and Super 14 top scorer Nick Evans.

But Shepherd said he believes the signs are there, particularly in the Force backline containing himself, Giteau and Drew Mitchell that John Mitchell's three year plan in Western Australia was about to bear fruit.

"(The Crusaders result) is the most disappointing loss that I have had at the Western Force," Shepherd said.

"But every time we had the ball we looked dangerous, and when we play like that there is no team in the Super 14 we cannot beat.

"If we can keep doing it for eighty minutes, I have no doubt that we can win the whole competition."

Meanwhile, versatile Blues forward Anthony Boric is the only change David Nucifora has made to his starting XV for the clash at North Harbour Stadium in Albany, with the Australian coach preferring continuity despite the shock loss to the Sharks.

"Consistency has been a big factor of our campaign to date and having assessed the players after their travel home from South Africa, everybody's in good form," Nucifora said.

"Anthony has performed well off the bench so far this season and deserves this opportunity."

March 13, 2008
    Shepherd next in line to stay at Force - Rugby Heaven - Breaking News

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by AndyS; 13-03-08 at 14:16.