Thread: Cannon in queue behind Nucifora

vCash

Cannon in queue behind Nucifora

Cannon in queue behind Nucifora
    Bret Harris | March 07, 2008 Cannon in queue behind Nucifora | The Australian

FORMER Wallabies hooker Brendan Cannon is a surprise candidate on the ARU's short list for the vacant high performance manager's job, although Blues coach David Nucifora remains hot favourite.

The ARU will appoint a new HPU manager after Pat Howard's resignation for family reasons.

It is understood ARU chief executive John O'Neill has already drawn a line through some names on the list.

"I'm intrigued to hear my name being bandied around," Cannon said. "I'd be interested in considering the role."

O'Neill is understood to want the job to go to a former Wallaby.

NSW Waratahs coach Ewen McKenzie has also expressed interest in the job.

But it would appear the position is Nucifora's if he wants it - and indications are he does.

O'Neill has a high opinion of Nucifora, who would have been appointed Wallabies coach if New Zealander Robbie Deans had not been overlooked by the All Blacks.

The ARU considered Nucifora as Deans' Wallabies assistant before deeming he would be "incompatible" because he was really a head coach.

But O'Neill is keen to get Nucifora back into the Australian system. He regards Nucifora, who guided the Brumbies to the Super title in 2004 before being driven out of Canberra by player power, as the successor to Deans at the Wallabies.

Ideally, O'Neill would like to see Nucifora coaching an Australian Super 14 team, but there may or may not be any vacancies.

McKenzie is under pressure to guide the Waratahs to the semi-finals, but there is already speculation assistant Todd Louden is being groomed to take over.

Brumbies coach Laurie Fisher is yet to steer the two-time champions to the top four, but if the ACT team made a change, it is unlikely it would bring Nucifora back to Canberra after his acrimonious departure.

John Mitchell is established at Western Force, while Phil Mooney is only in his rookie year with Queensland.

It is interesting to note, however, that Nucifora and Mooney were co-coaches at Brisbane club Western Districts.

The main reason Nucifora may think twice about the HPU job is that he would be leaving coaching for an administrative position.

This would not seem to be a good career choice for someone with ambitions of coaching the Wallabies.

Former World Cup-winning Wallabies assistant coach Jeff Miller had difficulty returning to coaching with the Reds after four years as ARU HPU manager and QRU chief executive.

The best way for a coach to improve his skills is to coach.

But if there are no coaching opportunities for Nucifora in Australia, he may be left without a job anywhere - at least in Australasia.

Nucifora was the Blues' technical adviser in 2005 before taking over as head coach in 2006, guiding them to eighth place.

But like at the Brumbies, Nucifora has had player problems at the Blues as evidenced by All Blacks second-rower Ali Williams' move to the Crusaders.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    What is it with Nucifora and player problems?

vCash
    Michael Foley?
    Don't get me wrong I like Canno, but Foley has everything Canno's got plus several years coaching experience and he's already in the Wallaby set up!

Brother Gallagher I hear you

vCash
    And what Foley knows about scrummaging would be contained in one morning log of Brendan Cannon's

C'mon the

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MI5_Dog View Post
    "The pair fell out when Williams was used sparingly after the All Blacks' reconditioning period finished halfway through the Super 14.

Disciplinary issues then surfaced, culminating in Williams being sent home from South Africa before the Blues' semifinal exit.

"It's been a frustrating process for everyone and at the end of the day Ali's made his choice," Dalton said."
    (Ali burns his bridges at Auckland - The Blues Super 14 team at Rugby Heaven)

Not sure it was entirely Nucifora's fault - GH pulls the players out of the S14, DN keeps faith with the players that stood up for the team, AW cracks the shits and decides he'd rather move to Christchurch. Boo hoo.

vCash
    It does go back further than that Andy, he was dumped from the Brums after a player revolt......senior players apparently didn't like being told what to do by the coach!

He'll fit right into the Pat Howard role
    Dan Vickerman, sorry you should go play in England, Rocky Elsom, you might want to see what you're worth before you come knocking on our door, Nathan Sharpe? Come in Mr Sharpe, can I get you a bundle of money?

C'mon the

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    No, I'm pretty much aware of that, but in this instance it seems to me that it was Ali Williams took exception to being told that the sun did not in fact shine out of his fundament. But maybe you are right and that was also what got him sacked by the Brums despite them winning the flag that year. If that is the case, I'd say it is a message more than a few players could do with hearing!

vCash
    I'm actually in support of the whole concept of coaches telling players what to do!

(Possibly some administrators as well!)

C'mon the

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MI5_Dog View Post
    Nucifora's player problems are limited to the Brumbies his only problem at the Blues was that Ali Williams is a complete knobhead.

vCash
    an astute observation James

C'mon the