Thread: Tahs forwards get unlikely support

vCash

Tahs forwards get unlikely support

Is it just me or are our eastern states coaches blind to the fact that the current frontrow for NSW, (with all thier relative Wallabies experience), is still absolutely crap??? I still love my Tahs, so don't get the idea i am tahbashing, 'cause i ain't...I am just repeatedly frustrated by calls from so-called experts saying the same bullsh*t about thier abilities...Reality check fellla, they suck...Baxter wouldn't know a bind, even if he was in an S and M club, and donut dunning ebbs and flows in his abilities, and when all else fails falls over at the engagements...Sure they may be strong as mules, but that has only made them better asses...
    Anyhow, here's the article, and i hope the tahs get up anyway...

THE Waratahs forwards have found an unlikely supporter in Brumbies coach Laurie Fisher, who predicts they should easily get the better of a beefed-up Highlanders pack on Saturday.

"I think they'll be fine," Fisher said of NSW's challenge against a new-look Highlanders pack. "I don't think we had any real issues with them [on Saturday], so I don't expect the Waratahs having any scrum problem."

Fisher's words might be a boost for NSW, but the Brumbies coach could also benefit if the Highlanders feel stung by his comments and come out firing against the Waratahs at Carisbrook. A bruising encounter between the two packs at the "House of Pain" could soften up the Waratahs for their round-four clash against NSW in Sydney on Friday week.

The Waratahs have done their homework on the Highlanders pack, and have noted the size and strength of their new front row. Gone is the All Blacks trio of tight-head prop Carl Hayman, hooker Anton Oliver and loose-head Clarke Dermody. In their place is a new and relatively inexperienced but heavyweight 367-kilogram trio of Clint Newland (130kg), Jason MacDonald (108kg) and Jamie Mackintosh (129kg).

NSW's Al Baxter (116kg), Adam Freier (101kg) and Matt Dunning (119kg) will concede 31kg - but have plenty of Super 14 and Test experience. Freier, set to equal former Wallabies captain Phil Kearns's record mark of 73 state caps for a NSW hooker, believes the Waratahs scrum will show how nous can overcome brawn.

"We have looked at their scrum a hell of a lot," Freier said yesterday before a heated training session that saw Dunning and second-rower Dan Vickerman almost come to blows and Junior Waratahs second-rower Adam Burns sidelined to cool off.

"All Otago packs are very good. I would like to say that we do have a better scrum. But I would like to go into the game with the attitude that we have to do everything right, and that we have to be the most determined and technically sound scrum in the competition."

In 12 years of Super rugby the Waratahs have lost only once to the Highlanders at Carisbrook - in 2001 (39-20) - and twice in Sydney. But NSW are wary of a team that has lost two from two games this year and will be playing in their first home fixture. "They are a team that isn't getting much love," Freier said. "They are the teams you don't want to play."

Waratahs coach Ewen McKenzie believes brains can beat brute strength. "You have to play with nous as well [as brawn]. You have to make sure you are smarter about how you play these games," he said.

McKenzie is unlikely to make major line-up changes for Saturday. But he could position Timana Tahu - and possibly Lote Tuqiri - at No.10 in defence to minimise the weakness in that channel. Both ran there in defence at training yesterday.

* The Brumbies will today name their side for Saturday's clash with the Reds in Canberra. Academy rookie Leo Afeaki is set to be named at outside-centre, with Tyrone Smith moving in from No.13 to No.12 to replace the sidelined Anthony Faingaa.

The Reds, hit by the six-week loss of No.6 Hugh McMeniman (fractured ankle) have been buoyed by halfback Sam Cordingley's possible availability. There had been fears a groin strain could spell him for two to four weeks.

* A one-off Test between South Africa and Argentina in Johannesburg in August was not a precursor to a Pumas tour of the SANZAR nations, the Australian Rugby Union said yesterday.

For Argentina to also play Australia and New Zealand, as has been proposed, they must field a full-strength team.

"We have not received any information that they will have a full-strength side," an ARU spokesman said. "That was one of the conditions of the invitation."

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Proudly bought to you by a brewery somewhere....

vCash
    Trestle, Trestle give us a wave

vCash
    'Brains over Brawn' What brains? Highlanders sure as hell better take this as an invitation to crush the Tahs...I hope anyways...

vCash
    It's just a bit of brain-playing by Fisher....he secretly wants the Tahs to do badly this year so the Brumbies aren't the worst Aussie team in the competition. His comments will fire up the Highlanders to demolish the Tahs front row.

CHEERLEADERS ROCK!!!

vCash
    That sounds pretty spot on JK

vCash
    You really think three young blokes will need any motivation apart from the fact that they're pretty much playing the Wallabies front row and they can see that they wil crush them easily?

And TimTam at 10 in defense? That would be the worst thing you could do to the kid right now, He's barely getting his head around the outside in this game, Put him on the fringes like that and he'll look like a revolving door!

I don't care how hard he hits, if he doesn't hit anyone all game, it's a waste!

C'mon the

Senior Player Contributor hopep's Avatar
    vCash
    I thought the comment on Lote at #10 was particularly funny.
    I will admit that he scored a splendid, powerful running, try last week - but at #10? as a playmaker? a thinking mans league player? - very droll indeed.

vCash
    Lote will be fine at 10, he can pretty much do anything but really only needs to tackle as Kurtley hasn't learned how to do that yet. Tahs pack are very smart. They have fooled many into thinking they are really good and soon all their patience will pay off.

TimTam is the Saviour of Australian rugby. No pressure, but he will be fine.

Laura Force Addict v Chook scrabble-off on Facebook: laura & Force Addict 0 | chook 9

Gigsa made me do it

"He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty." – Lao Tzu

vCash
    There's a tactic chook, convince the media to keep talking you up despite your performances and any actual facts and then when the ref calls engage the other team runs away with their tail between their legs..........Hows that working out for you mate?

C'mon the

vCash
    How come Ewen McKenzie refuses to play Lote as a flanker! I believe his best game ever was when he was playing flank for one game during WC2003 or something....

vCash
    Lote's not really bright enough to communicate with the forwards!

C'mon the