Thread: My god, there is rugby on this weekend - Preview

Veteran Contributor The EnForcer's Avatar
    vCash

My god, there is rugby on this weekend - Preview

Not a bad summary I reckon.

Clarkie's week two preview
    By Greg Clark
    Fox Sports Last week's opening round of Super 14 provided the teams with an opportunity to blow away a few cobwebs and to get a better handle on the new experimental laws.

Overall I was happy with what I saw and things will get better when the players get used to the increased pace of the game.

New South Wales were the pick of the Aussie teams followed by Queensland and the Western Force, but the Brumbies disappointed. Sure they are without George Gregan. Stephen Larkham and Jeremy Paul this year but they were trying to convince everyone that the succession planning was in place. Well the Crusaders thumped them and proved that you just can't fill big shoes overnight.

It's going to take awhile for the new boys to slot into the Brumbies pattern, and now there are even more injury worries. Joining Stirling Mortlock and Clyde Rathbone on the sideline are Adam Ashley-Cooper and Gene Fairbanks.

Fortunately for the Brumbies they have a home game this week against the side tipped by many to be the wooden spooners in 2008, the Highlanders.

So here are my previews for the second round of games this weekend.

Hurricanes v Reds
    The Reds have won just once in New Zealand from their past 20 outings. If the Reds are to win their defence will have to be excellent because the ‘Canes made 11 line breaks against NSW last week. But the Hurricanes will be keen for a win in front of the Wellington faithful.

Cheetahs v Force
    I thought the Force did pretty well last week considering all the off-field dramas. I am expecting them to pick up their first win of the season against the Cheetahs. The Cheetahs look to be struggling with the faster pace of the game.
    Oh yeah baby!

Bulls v Crusaders
    This is my match of the round; unfortunately Bryan Habana has been ruled out due to injury. I think the new laws will be the key here. If the Bulls try and open it up under the new laws they could come unstuck because the Crusaders are the best counter attacking team in competition. This could go either way.

Chiefs v Waratahs
    This match will be fearless up front but with a game under their belt the new look Waratahs backline should be more comfortable with each other so I can see NSW breaking their recent drought in the Waikato. The Chiefs have had the wood on the 'Tahs the the past two times they played in Waikato.

Brumbies v Highlanders
    With injuries last week to Adam Ashley-Copper and Gene Fairbanks the Brumbies will field their most inexperienced backline of all time this weekend. They should still beat the Highlanders though and if they don't it will be a very long season. Many expect the Highlanders to pick up the wooden spoon.

Sharks v Stormers
    The home ground advantage will work in the the Sharks favour against a Stormers side that was unable to score a try against the Bulls. The Sharks, on paper, have the better team and with a good work out from the Force under their belts I expect them to keep their unbeaten record intact.

Lions v Blues
    The Blues were excellent last week and looked right at home under the new laws. They have a slick forward pack and with Nick Evans controlling the play and match winners like Joe Rokocoko and Isa Nacewa at the back they should be too good, as long as they get over the travel.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Just happy to be here

vCash
    Did someone say rugby?

vCash
    ahhhh I love it back to the rugby!

vCash
    enf, that should read...thank god theres rugby this weekend.