Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: RugbyWA Conduct Committee Findings

vCash

RugbyWA Conduct Committee Findings

The RugbyWA Conduct Committee hearing into alleged breaches of the Australian Rugby Union Code of Conduct by Matt Henjak and Haig Sare that was adjourned on Wednesday 13 February 2008 was reconvened at 4.00pm today.

The hearing has been concluded and the following statement from the Conduct Committee details its findings and decisions:

Committee Statement
    “The Committee has found that both Haig Sare and Matt Henjak breached the ARU Code of Conduct and the terms of their contract.

Having considered all the circumstances surrounding the incident on the 10th of February 2008, submissions by their counsel and relevant prior record, the Committee has decided on the penalties mentioned below.

The incident involved both players fighting in public, the Committee wishes to make it clear that such misconduct by the Emirates Western Force cannot be tolerated because of its substantial harm caused to all stakeholders.

In relation to Haig Sare’s culpability in the incident was considerably less than Matt Henjak, none the less the Committee considered it very serious in view of the fact that it was in the public domain.

The Committee has determined that the appropriate penalty for Haig Sare is the maximum fine available rounded off to $5,000 such fine to be paid from his net wages, and a suspension for a period of eight weeks effective from and including 15 February 2008.

In relation to Matt Henjak in addition to fighting in public the Committee was satisfied that he savagely punched Haig Sare when Haig was sitting down vulnerable and unable to defend himself. The Committee was unable to find any justification for that assault which probably caused Haig Sare’s jaw to be broken This conduct demonstrated, on the part of Matt Henjak gross irresponsibility and disloyalty to all Emirates Western Force Stakeholders.

In light of the circumstances and in particular Matt Henjak’s prior record the Committee recommended that the contract of Matt Henjak with the Emirates Western Force be terminated forthwith.”

The RugbyWA Board has met tonight and has acknowledged the findings and decisions of the Conduct Committee.

In accordance with the ARU Code of Conduct, the findings and decisions are subject to review by the Australian Rugby Union in consultation with RugbyWA.

The termination of a contract can only be approved by the ARU based on a recommendation from the Conduct Committee.

RugbyWA and the Emirates Western Force wishes to apologise to all its members, supporters, sponsors and all involved in Western Australian and Australian rugby for what has occurred. It is unacceptable and the penalties imposed reflect the serious nature of the breaches.

RugbyWA and the Emirates Western Force do not have a culture of alcohol abuse and anti social behaviour. What it does have is a small number of individuals who have let the organisation down badly by their unacceptable actions.

A need exists to help manage much of the behaviour and lifestyle issues relating to young men involved in professional sport and RugbyWA takes this responsibility very seriously. From time to time issues will arise with players and our initial approach is to not simply penalise but to also counsel and rehabilitate where possible. In support of this RugbyWA has in place various in-house programs relating to alcohol use and other lifestyle and social issues. For some time RugbyWA has engaged the services of experts in the areas of psychology, health, personal development and management to assist in these programs.

Despite having no major incidents in the first two years since the team’s establishment, this incident and the other major incident that occurred some months ago clearly indicates that more work is needed and the Board has resolved that this work will be done!

RugbyWA and the Emirates Western Force are committed to protecting the rugby brand and the interests of all those who are associated with and support our great game. At the same time, as a responsible employer, it will do all it can to support the welfare of its employees, including the player group. However, whilst on field performance is extremely important, it WILL NOT be put ahead of brand and culture!

This has been a difficult week for RugbyWA and the Emirates Western Force and we would like to thank all staff and management for their efforts during this time. We would also like to thank the Australian Rugby Union for their support and assistance.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Darren; 20-02-08 at 05:22.

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    Interesting that no suspension appears to have been imposed on Henjak, is it not? I appear to have got it right then when I pre-empted the outcome, although even I didn't anticipate how cynical it would be.

The ARU still want Henjak to play Union. The plan (or plot) was to sack him so that he can be signed on a fresh contract by another club after a few weeks, thereby keeping him available and fit for the Wallabies, but at the same time appearing to be coming down severely on his behavior.

This gets the hacks off their backs, and when he is signed on by the Waratahs he will be the Sydney presses' golden haired boy again.

Ingenious, in a low, Macchiavellian, rat like way.

And the press release has the sickening sycophancy of thanking the ARU!

Last edited by fulvio sammut; 20-02-08 at 00:32.

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    Hey, notice the time on the press release? 2.52 AM. It appeared on the RugbyWA website at about 12.52 AM WDLST. The bloody thing was vetted in Sydney and obviously approved, if not written and posted on the RugbyWA site for them!

Love that independence.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Seems 'fair' enough. The fact that Henjak hit Sare when he was sitting down will be a cruel blow (pardon the pun) to those optimistic that his involvement was purely as form of defence. The loss of one 9 is about made up for with Chris O'Young coming back.

I couldn't agree with you more Fulv about the Waratahs. Give him a year and he'll be on their books.

vCash
    This is truly devastating and heartbreaking for Matt as a young and talented footballer who was sadly unable to prevent his off-field behaviour from cutting short a very promising career with the western force. This result is the one I have been expecting but that makes it no less harder to hear.

My concern is for his future. Playing rugby is his life and being told to leave his team and team mates could have devastating consequences on his self worth and self esteem. I hope that his family and loved ones provide him an abundance of love, care and support so as to show him life is bigger than rugby and that he can turn it all around and use this decision to better his life.

Hopefully he sees this as a wake up call, gets the appropriate help to deal with his alcohol induced anger management issues and becomes a stronger person and a better man for it. If he gets his life on track now, I have no doubt he will be ready for professional level rugby again, whether that be in Australia or overseas. But his personal health and happiness is far more important so I hope he helps himself for all the right reasons.

Thank you for the memories Matt. It's been a rocky few years but I'll always remember that cheeky grin, being the first player to ever sign my jersey and the one who always had a knack of making the younger kids feel welcome and special at public events. I'll still always tell myself that you and I had a moment when you brushed my hair across my neck so you could sign the back of my playing jersey. Made my day.

Best of luck with whatever you do in the future Matt. You have my support and best wishes.

I made Happy sad...

vCash
    Yeah....I'd probably have to side with Jess on this one guys. Matt got the right sanction, If he started it, there's enough in the cupboard for a sacking to be the way to go.....I (like Jess) hope this is the turning point for Matt. He obviously needs to get control of the alcohol issues and the anger...Ironically, it might just take the destruction of a career to do it.

I hope he gets back to playing rugby again. he's bloody good at it, but more than ever I hope he sorts out the anger issues that have been plaguing him for a few years.

Pressure from the ARU? Machiavellian plots? Sorry guys but with all the respect in the world, RugbyWA was backed into a corner by the evidence, not the ARU. Will he end up playing for the Waratahs....maybe...will he end up playing for the wallabies? I don't know. If he does, I would like to think that a tough response by RugbyWA helped him to sort out an unfortunate character flaw and become the world's best halfback.

Now, who do we replace him with? We've got a fair bit of dough considering he was our number 1 halfback......If anybody mentions valentine, I'm going to puke!

C'mon the

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    8 weeks for Haig, starting 15th Feb....finishing 11th April I believe. The day before our match against the Waratahs here in Perth.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    I got the impression he was on the area of 200k a year thats a fair slice of pie. Should be able to secure some great young talent to grow into the job. I like Josh Holmes and Will Genia but I think the rest of the other teams 9s stink.

Champion
    vCash
    Very sad about Henjak but nothing RugbyWA could do in the circumstances. Sare's going to be out injured for about the same length as he's suspension. Really hope Henjak can get his life back on track, I can't see him being signed by any of the other Aussie teams, maybe he will go overseas. If we've signed O'young again do we really need anyone else with Stannard as back up. He seems a very capable player who has made huge strides in his game

vCash
    Hitting someone when he was sitting down - EEk didn't expect that
    I to hope he turns his life around
    How are the team taking this ?

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

vCash
    I really dont know what to say about it, Im kind of stunned and I literally feel sick to the stomach!
    I really hope that this will come to help Matt and his future and I hope that he and his family can really get through this. I also hope the team handles this well, Giteau will be sad to lose a mate
    If his contract is torn up does that mean that they cant re-sign him under a different, more stricter contract?

vCash
    shit happens, arseholes cause it

hitting someone unawares is absolutly disgusting!!!
    how many times have we herd of fatalities from this kind of thing, i mean haig is a big boy who can take one on the chin (bad pun) obviously but this whole incident could have been a lot worse.

i cant belive the ARU still want this guy around to fill a wallabies spot.

go ahead and groan at me but it had to be said

<>

Champion
    vCash
    Henners you twit... cant say i expected the contract torn up when this was advised...

but on another hand, half back choices now for the force -
    Chucky - needs to step up now, son !!
    Adam 'Kiwi' Clarke - get back next year we need you (depending on what chucky can give us)
    Chris O'Young - Ex WF reject, didn't want him either did Glasgow being there no. 2 scrum half.

sorry if it sounds like i'm having a dig, I know what henners has done is shit (wrong) but i dont like our choices at this current moment of time.

and henjak going to sydney, that'll be his last resort,saying something about the ARU isn't it, we want him sacked from the force but still want to keep him on our books cause all the other no. 9 in australia are SHIT !!

Veteran Contributor The EnForcer's Avatar
    vCash
    I'm more dissapointed for the team and the supporters than Matt. I truly hoped he was found to be defending himself, but no. Matt has had plenty of chances and he's pushed it too far. IMHO, based on the findings, he deserves to get sacked and I hope he is man enough to stand up and admit he's wrong. That would be the first step in turning his life around.

He may be a nice guy Jess, but that is what everyone says about Benny.

At the end of the day he has turned out to be an extremely expensive liability, and has shown complete disregard for his fortunate life, his team mates, the supporters and sponsors.

You'll find little sympathy from me.

Just happy to be here

vCash
    i was hoping for a long suspension but i think he got what he deserved.

on the fox sports news report they asked haig if he was happy that henjak is gone and he seemed pretty upset and said no.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast