Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Force vs Sharks. positives / negatives

vCash

Force vs Sharks. positives / negatives

it wasn't all doom and gloom in this mornings game, its very early in the season, whats you thoughts on the positives and negatives in the sharks game........

negatives

1.the line outs were a big concern hopefully that can be put down to sharpie being absent.
    2. handling errors, its was very humid and they played the conditions better.
    3. mitchell and in some cases sheps were insolated deep in our half and they wanted to run the ball, instead of the kicking option.

positives

1. nick cummins slotted in nicely, and looked lively for the most of the game. david pococks work rate was worthy of a mention.
    2. depth of squad, even the commentators last night said our bench was a bit thin on talent, i thought the replacements played well when they came on, luke holmes looked very versatile for a hooker.
    3. it was a game where the 'experts' gave us no chance but it was two touches of brilliance that won the game for the sharks, steyns 60m penalty and the flick pass that set up terblance.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by slomo; 16-02-08 at 08:57.

vCash
    After the week they had, to be still in it with a couple of minutes to go speaks volumes. Tom Hockings was calling the lineouts, I think. That speaks volumes for the coach's opinion of him.

Onward and Upward.

vCash
    All pre match reports suggested it would be a one sided affair and a blow out on the scoreboard to the hosts.

To keep it to 7 points is sensational. Sure a win would have been nice, but we proved our worth last night.

Even the saffa commentators who are pretty bias at the best of times had much praise for our boys and even referred to us as 'the ones to watch this season'.

I'm disappointed we didn't come away with a win, but I think we've only just begun. Expecting big big things against the Cheetahs!

I made Happy sad...

vCash

yep i was impressed...

i thought the result was pretty positive.
    we did not win... but the blokes defence was stoic. im concerned that tries were scored from intercepts/random opportunities, but there was also well constructed attack at times (just few points from it).. i get the very strong feeling the new laws will limit penalty shoot out style games (sad for england).... but i left the TV feeling pretty good this morning..

i was impressed by scott-fava's work and in particular his meters gained. matt henjack played well considering last weeks events, his physical presence and tackling (except that 1 miss) is an asset to the team on the field, and the nick cummins lad... well i just can not wait to see what he develops into.

i would really love to see the front row more stable at scrum time.. but that can be worked on.. the lines outs have already been mentioned..

cheers auss...
    fabricarti diem punc

vCash
    Digby Who?

Nick Cummins should have a field day against the Cheetahs and Lions if he continues in the same vein of form as this morning.

It didn't help us that Taipan and Holmes both had not straight lineout throws against them, as well as the lineouts lost.

vCash
    We missed Sharpie immensely.

Giteau did well in his first captaincy, the pressure certianly didn't phase him, and he stepped up to the plate nicely.

Kicking wasn't woeful, but the kicking in general play needs some work.
    I wonder whether the counterattack at any opportunity from any position wasn't a coaches instruction....Drew certainly gave up some obvious opportunities to kick in favour of having a run!
    I thought the scrum held up very well...considering we were up against one of the form scrums of the comp, our mobile front rowers survived the battle pretty well, and Holmesey showed where we had the advantage in the front row.....the commentators thought he was Shep until they looked at the replay........Good signs I think...I always said this was going to be the hardest game of the tour, and we didn't get hammered. I really think if Sharpie had been fit, the extra organisation and confidence at lineout time would've been enough to get us over the line...Bring on next week!

C'mon the

vCash
    The news headlines in The "Beeld" which is an Afrikaans newspaper was as follow:

The Sharks win over the Force made the Sharks look like sharks in an aquarium rather than in the ocean!!
    The Force needs to keep the ball upfront longer. The game was to loose If they play against the Bulls or the Blues without keeping it tight there will problems They need to play with the forwards and get the opposition to commit more players into the ruck's and malls. If they then send it wide they will be unstoppable. The guys like Gittau and Cummins just could not get away because there were 2 guys to beat every time.

See ya

Pieter

vCash
    i think they need to try and not give away penalties in the last 4 minutes when they are 4 points behind but other then that they were great. matt giteau played a great game at 10 and nick cummins is in great form, he was great in attack but just as good in defence against the sharks outside backs.

vCash
    a negative was falling asleep 10mins in.
    i'll have more input later today after i watch the replay at 1

vCash
    HTFU Jono, I thought you had 35 red bulls last night or something...If Ezzy and I can watch the game you should be ashamed! Softc**k

C'mon the

vCash
    disappointing jono!

I made Happy sad...

vCash

Bonus Point no 1 big positive

Need to work on lineouts without Sharpie

Cummins - liked his debut heaps - couple more games and Whoa
    Pocock - Was a demon - brilliant stuff our MOM
    Henjak - worked bloody hard very close second for MOM
    Tight 5 wore the Sharks down - softened them up for the second half well

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

vCash
    I didnt even have red bull, i was just in a perpetual state of alcoholic awareness yesterday last night(and i just got out of bed ). I was dissappointed the boys couldn't grab the win. Few negatives and plenty of positives most of which have been covered. It seemed like the Force were playing touch rugby at times, Shapie was definately missed. Definately looking forward to next week.

vCash
    Just got out of bed?!? *sigh* it's alright for some. Some of us had to get up 2 hours after they went to bed to go to work.

Luckily it's been pretty quiet here today. Almost home/nap time.

I made Happy sad...

vCash
    i don't think the shop was ever going to be busy today!!!!good effort jess, go home and catch up on your sleep....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast