Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: SMH Prediction 2008 - Force

vCash
    ^^^You really can't give credit where any may be due, when the Reds are involved.

I think this is about your 6th post where you have heaped manure on the Reds effort. Well, they got the points - next.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    ....anyway.... another take on the game;

Queensland Reds fans could be forgiven for thinking the worst when Chris Latham was felled like a redwood in the middle of Suncorp Stadium last night.

After an exuberant Queensland turned in a high-octane first 20 minutes against the Otago Highlanders to race to a 12-0 lead, something had to go wrong. Didn’t it?

Cue Latham, the Wallaby fullback, to go down comatose on the halfway line after a swinging arm from Highlanders number eight Steven Setephano, which may earn him a stint on the sidelines.

The match, won 22-16 by the Reds, went on around him but Latham didn’t budge an inch. He barely responding as the Reds medicos dragged his limp body onto its feet.

And just when everyone was ready to declare Latham’s lights well and truly out, it happened. Like a bolt of lightning had startled his slumber, Latham sprung to life, snapping back to reality and violently shoving away team doctor Richard Brown to rejoin the line.

Thirty seconds later he was belting Highlanders and making a try-saving tackle.

It was a moment in the best traditions of Brisbane sporting folklore that had everyone yelling two words in unison – “Fonda Metassa!”

Norths league great Metassa, known as the Golden Greek, is famous for his back-from-the-death antics against Redcliffe in the 1960s when he burst out from the back of an ambulance to dash back into Lang Park and onto the field.

“Fonda Metassa!” exclaimed Reds coach Phil Mooney after the game.

“You never write him off. I think he heard the sirens and he got up.”

But did Latham throw a punch at the doctor in his bid to get back to the line?

“No, no. I don’t think the fist was clenched,” said Mooney, beaming from his maiden win in the Super 14.

While pub historians will remember Latham’s crazed and dazed antics, Mooney said the act is exactly what he is looking for in a new-look Reds side ready to consign 2007’s nightmare to the history books.

Mooney wants his players to spit blood for the cause. Latham did that and more.

The Reds weren't pretty at times last night but it was the desperation that impressed Mooney, especially that of the veteran fullback who was clearly out on his feet after his 28th minute belting.

“That in itself was an example of a bloke who might have been in Disneyland but wanted to get back into the line. That was fantastic. The way that he got through the 80 minutes. He worked hard. He was in pain . But he wanted to stick it out for the boys,” Mooney said.

Latham missed the entire 2007 Super 14 campaign and despite thoughts of a broken jaw, he remained on the field, getting sewn up at halftime.

“He had a bit of blood. It was a case of getting him off to get the stitches. We were under a bit of pressure from their attack so he wanted to stay out there to make sure there was a stoppage to get stitched,” Mooney said.

The Reds may think they are owed a dash of luck and the video referee did his utmost to help. In two controversial try rulings, both went the way of the home side.

Clinton Schifcofske, who had a blinder on the Reds wing, was given the benefit of the doubt in the first half while inspirational skipper John Roe was awarded his second in similar circumstances.

Highlanders coach Glenn Moore was duly miffed but Mooney had little complaint, nor did the crowd of 19,183 fans.

“The referee on both occasions was saying can you find any reason why they hadn’t scored. I think he was going up there for confirmation and they ruled our way both times,” Mooney said.

Poor handling curtailed the Reds in the second half after they held a comfortable 12-3 lead at halftime. Otago stormed into the match on the back of a string of Reds turnovers to score with six minutes remaining and put the match on a knife-edge.

The Reds rallied late and a Schifcofske penalty on the stroke of fulltime gave them the win they dearly needed.

Mooney was encouraging his side to kick for touch and take a shot at a fourth try and bonus point, declaring he believes that his group has moved on from a 2007 season that will haunt Queensland rugby for years to come.

“My first thought was when we were going to score our fourth try for the bonus point. I was still thinking that when Clinton kicked the goal. We certainly weren’t thinking that we were going to lose that game. We’ve moved on. We’re a different group,” Mooney said.

The Reds emerged from the clash with only a few minor niggles, with Mooney saying they will be at full strength for next week’s clash with Wellington.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tic View Post
    ....And just when everyone was ready to declare Latham’s lights well and truly out, it happened. Like a bolt of lightning had startled his slumber, Latham sprung to life, snapping back to reality and violently shoving away team doctor Richard Brown to rejoin the line.

But did Latham throw a punch at the doctor in his bid to get back to the line?

“No, no. I don’t think the fist was clenched,” said Mooney, beaming from his maiden win in the Super 14..

ASSAULT!!!!!!!!!! ASSAULT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

vCash
    More like Latham's become like all those soccer players pretending to be injured but then making an amazing recovery when their team needs them. HTFU Latham & p*ss off to Europe like all the other Wallaby has-beens.

CHEERLEADERS ROCK!!!

vCash
    ^^^ Oh OK, the blood pouring out of his mouth was fake "soccer" blood too was it?

Latho = still the best fullback in Australia - I'll claim him for as long we can.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    It certainly got his lip...but I dont think he was pole axed..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tic View Post
    ^^^You really can't give credit where any may be due, when the Reds are involved.

I think this is about your 6th post where you have heaped manure on the Reds effort. Well, they got the points - next.
    Caught me red handed there Tic........mate I've made no secret of what I think about the reds....it aint gunna change....my concern is that you will come on a Western :Force: supporters site and act surprised that you find a one-eyed Western supporter! I don't begrudge you your membership of the site at all mate, I think this sort of repartee is one of the delights of rugby.....but seriously. Bagging the Reds and the 'Tahs is one of the things I do....Don't be surprised, It won't stop!

as an example, the Reds or the 'Tahs could fall into some alternate dimension where the rugby rules are reversed and share the S14 crown for the next 15 years......I'll still say they were crap and they were lucky....If you can't handle that, maybe you'd better stick to pro reds sites!

I'll be till I die, and I'll give credit where it's due (and sometimes where it's possible) to the Since my history is as a Brumbies supporter, I'll probably still have a soft spot for them (have you picked that up in my posts)

I really didn't think I made any secret of my opinions, but now they're on the record, can we please stop taking the fact that I think the Reds are shite so personally!

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry View Post
    [B]
    HERALD EXPERTS' TIPS
    Greg Growden 9th. Rupert Guinness 7th. Phil Wilkins 9th. Spiro Zavos 9th. Last year: 7th
    It's all good guys. The more they dump on us over east, the sweeter the taste when the Force slices and dices them.

It's one of Australia's oldest rugby problems -- internal jealousy between the teams. NSW and Qld have been at each other's throats since day one, and the only time they join forces is to stick it to the upstarts.

vCash
    hmmmm I agree with everything you say Rick....I just don't see it as a problem.

I'm firmly of the opinion that sport is enhanced by rivalry and competition, and really love the cut and thrust of "my team's better than your team" Whether you're a player or a supporter, it's rivalry like this that brings the best out in a team...I'm sure some will disagree, but the wonderful thing about Australian sport is that those rivalries disappear the instant somebody pulls on the Green and Gold.....In my opinion, that's exactly the way it should be!

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry View Post
    HERALD EXPERTS' TIPS
    Greg Growden 9th. Rupert Guinness 7th. Phil Wilkins 9th. Spiro Zavos 9th. Last year: 7th

EXPERTS!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

i'm gonna look for this thread at the end of the season. and post several hundred of flame's 'asshole' emoticons in it...

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    An "expert" is merely a drip under pressure.

vCash
    haha my grandad says that all the time

vCash
    Some Journo in the west had the Tahs as finishing 3rd.

now THAT was far fetched I thought.

I made Happy sad...

vCash
    *virtually slaps said journo

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KenyaQuin View Post
    I've got nothing by way of constructive argument other than "F@*# You". Sorry fellow TWFfers but I've had it with the pen-wielding geezers over East.

i dont think anyone cares what Growden dribbles these days, he seems to be more about reporting/furthering his own agenda instead of the actual reporting of anything of actual Rugby fact or anything positive

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast