Thread: One of Our Faves Jacquelin Magnay is at it again...

vCash

Thumbs down One of Our Faves Jacquelin Magnay is at it again...

This is just really really bad journalism. Her language is far to colourful and passionate to attempt to portray an unjudgemental, neutral, fair account of events. And check out the picture they've used... could they have made Henjak look any more like a criminal?!?

http://www.rugbyheaven.com.au/news/n...760495869.html

Pressure on ARU as Henjak hit list grows
    Jacquelin Magnay | February 15, 2008

PRESSURE has intensified on the Australian Rugby Union to take firm action against Western Force halfback Matt Henjak after revelations he was involved in another assault.

Last night, Channel Nine reported Henjak bit and hit lower-grade Randwick player Michael Girvan in 2005 at the farewell of his then Brumbies teammate, Owen Finegan.

The Herald has learned the police were called and statements taken, but the matter was dropped when Henjak agreed to contribute $5000 to charity.

The ARU said it would not be making any further comment after expressing its strong disappointment at the failure of the Force to stand down Henjak from tomorrow morning's (Sydney time) match against the Sharks in South Africa pending an outcome of a disciplinary committee hearing.

Henjak and his Force teammate, Haig Sare, were involved in a nasty brawl in the toilets of a Fremantle bar last weekend. Sare suffered a broken jaw, while Henjak was beaten about the face, ear and arm.

It seems likely the ARU will take a firm stand once the Rugby WA misconduct tribunal finishes its inquiry, and Henjak faces deregistration from the game for a litany of offences.

In 2005, Henjak became the first Wallaby player to be sent home in disgrace in 40 years following a nightclub incident in Cape Town, and last year was involved in a $15,000 payment to a South African who was allegedly assaulted in 2004.

He is also being investigated by a joint NSW-Western Australian task force for an alleged assault on a former Western Force employee.

The Rugby WA tribunal of retired WA District Court judge Robert Viol, lawyer Stephen Scott and acting chief executive Mitch Hardy will meet on February 19.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    I made Happy sad...

vCash
    Dragging up incidents that were dealt with three years ago is really bad form...

vCash
    Ok... apparently they CAN make him look like more of a criminal...

I made Happy sad...

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash
    My sauces have told me that in grade 3 Henjak was seen poking a stick into an ants nest.

Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

vCash
    I like the way five unsubstantiated incidents in five years is grounds for a sacking......I've thought about hitting a student before, should I resign?

Apparently Matt caused bruising and stretch marks to his mother before birth, surely that could be mentioned, anybody who would leave bruises on their own mother is an animal!

C'mon the

vCash
    I can feel a 'Stuff we can blame on Matt Henjak' thread coming on...

I made Happy sad...

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    there'd only be one reply - everything...

vCash
    Thinks its about time everyone started to lay off hanging crap on Henjak. He has a family that hasn't done anything wrong and has to deal with all this crap about their son/brother. Same goes for Sare lay off til we know whats happened and dont believe the shite that the media are saying whilst clutching at straws for a story!

vCash
    Hi do not comment often but the articles on the SMH related sites are going just too far... Here is the intro to our friend Magnay on the rugby league site:

About Jacquelin Magnay
    Walkley Award winning journalist Jacquelin Magnay is not afraid of tackling the big issues in sport. Drugs, sex scandals, salary cap breaches, sponsorship deals are all part of her daily fodder. Magnay has been a senior journalist with the Sydney Morning Herald since 1992 and was Fairfax's Olympic correspondent, covering the intense political leadup to the Sydney Olympic Games, before switching back to sport in 2001. In 1995 Magnay successfully challenged rugby league's macho culture, winning a test case in the Human Rights and Equal Opportunities Commission that sought equal access for female journalists in sports change rooms.

My comment:

Since when is drugs, sex scandals, salary cap breaches, sponsorship deals the main issues in sports. It is easy to be critical of anything in this world, should she not be looking for postives first and through positive reinforcement trying to make sport better.

Come on JM lets look at all the positives the Force are doing, lets get a more balanced perspective, the world has enough woes as it is.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Interesting that she (or any of the other "investigative" journalists) didn't break the Joey Johns drug scandal though - he comes out and admits he was using and suddenly everyone admits that it was a bit of an open secret. Only one of two conclusions - either the sports journalists are utterly incompetent or they have no ethics.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
    Interesting that she (or any of the other "investigative" journalists) didn't break the Joey Johns drug scandal though - he comes out and admits he was using and suddenly everyone admits that it was a bit of an open secret. Only one of two conclusions - either the sports journalists are utterly incompetent or they have no ethics.
    And this is a surprise to you?