Thread: Force fast-track Henjak hearing

vCash

Force fast-track Henjak hearing

After scathing criticism from the Australian Rugby Union over the Matt Henjak affair, Western Force bosses are aiming to convene a serious misconduct tribunal before Friday's Super 14 opener.

Having initially said the process could take up to two weeks, it appears the Force have reacted to the ARU's angry reaction at Henjak being allowed to tour South Africa and its demand the hearing be fast-tracked.

Winger Haig Sare today gave his account in Perth of Sunday's bar session and the altercation with Henjak which left him needing surgery to insert a plate in his broken jaw and out of the first six weeks of the season.

And troubled scrumhalf Henjak, who was with the Force team in Durban preparing to play the Sharks on Friday (Saturday AEDT), could first be required to answer questions about his behaviour from Force legal counsel, a board member and CEO Mitch Hardy.

A Force spokesman today told AAP the tribunal would be held at the "earliest possible convenience" - most likely on or before Friday.

Any ruling and penalties for the two players would then go to the RugbyWA board for approval before being relayed to the ARU, who have threatened to take matters into their own hands if unhappy with the Force response.

ARU chief executive John O'Neill was furious yesterday that Henjak - a key member of the Force team with a history of off-field indiscretions - was allowed to set off on the three-match trip to South Africa, believing he should have been stood down while such a serious matter was investigated.

He made it clear the Force should deal with the matter promptly, and before Friday's game if possible.

Acting Force CEO Hardy said today the ARU would be within their rights to act independently on the matter if unsatisfied, but said the Force were taking the matter very seriously.

"Certainly they would be within their grounds to do that ... and the way we have handled the matter is up for debate," Hardy told Fairfax radio.

"But we have made a decision, and we have to stick by that decision now. We have given everyone an indication we will deal with this matter in a serious way.

"It was a very tight decision to make, and I have given the ARU an undertaking that we will move this as quickly as possible.

"But we were not prepared to assume Matt Henjak guilty until we had all the evidence in front of us.

"I am gathering information ... it will be sent to our legal counsel, and then we will set a date and a time for the hearing."

Hardy said senior players including captain Nathan Sharpe and vice captain Matt Giteau had backed the decision to take Henjak on tour.

"The senior players ... it was unanimous around the table that they would support the decision to take Matt," Hardy said.

"If those guys had objected to the decision, then it would have been taken on board.

"I have received statements from the players - it is a misunderstanding between the two of them that got heated.

"Both players will certainly be answerable to whatever has been put up at the hearing.

"It is not a question of isolating Matt Henjak for this indiscretion."

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to ..........."

vCash
    "But we were not prepared to assume Matt Henjak guilty until we had all the evidence in front of us."

... Hardy will never get a job at a newspaper.

Success is not final, failure is not fatal:
    it is the courage to continue that counts.
    - Winston Churchill

vCash
    Don't know mate - he got the best team out to Sth Africa - he's laying some icing to make it seem amiable - he looked good in a suit and coherent and plausible in front of the camera - he's doing well for an "Acting CEO"

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

vCash
    You missed my point

Success is not final, failure is not fatal:
    it is the courage to continue that counts.
    - Winston Churchill

vCash
    I asked Mitch last Saturday after the scratch match whether he was enjoying the Acting CEO job. At that stage he was. I wonder if he's changed his mind now.......

vCash
    I think he's doing OK for a part timer....he's managed to ensure he hasn't folded, but made it very difficult for ARU to put their fingers in a pie which they have no right to just yet.....even citing the ARU disciplinary code to justify Matt's inclusion.

JO'N might have the press behind him in calling for Henners to be crucified before the hearing, but Mitch is fighting the fight pretty well!

C'mon the

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
    I asked Mitch last Saturday after the scratch match whether he was enjoying the Acting CEO job. At that stage he was. I wonder if he's changed his mind now.......
    & Tom Baddley will be glad hes no longer the media man