Thread: Surgery forces Lote out of trial

vCash

Surgery forces Lote out of trial

Surgery forces Lote out of trial

February 04, 2008

NEW South Wales star Lote Tuqiri will go into next week's Super 14 opener without a trial run after being ruled out of Thursday's clash against the Crusaders following surgery to improve his breathing.

But the positives of a new, fitter Tuqiri will outweigh his lack of warm-up game time, according to Waratahs coach Ewen McKenzie.

Tuqiri underwent corrective surgery last week after initially seeing a doctor over persistent sinus problems. It was discovered the Australia winger also had a "kink" in his airways, which was restricting his oxygen intake.

The 28-year-old was subsequently withdrawn from last Friday's trial against the Brumbies, and it was decided Sunday Tuqiri will also miss the Waratahs' match against Robbie Deans' side in the Rotomahana Shield at the SFS on Thursday.

"It was one of those things they just picked up by chance, so it was a good opportunity to get in there and get it fixed," McKenzie said.

"They got it sorted out so his breathing is improved, and that's a big thing in terms of fitness. He'll be aerobically stronger. It's pretty amazing that he's been able to be that competitive and play at such high levels if it was a problem he's always had."

McKenzie, who had hoped to field his strongest possible line-up in the final trial, still believes Tuqiri will be able to hit the ground running on February 16 against the Hurricanes despite not having played since the Wallabies bowed out to England in the World Cup quarters last October.

"We'll definitely look at him (to start)," McKenzie said. "He's trained strongly all summer, and has good energy."

McKenzie is still yet to decide on the make-up of his opening round squad of 22, with injuries to key players and "50-50 calls" still clouding the picture.

Although Rocky Elsom will return this week, both full-back Sam Norton-Knight (hamstring) and half-back Luke Burgess (concussion) have been ruled out of the Crusaders clash.

Burgess was to have started the match, after Josh Valentine and Brett Sheehan started the previous two trials. Valentine will take the half-back duties against the Kiwis, giving him a chance to match the solid performances of Burgess against Queensland and Sheehan versus the Brumbies.

Though pleased with Lachlan Turner's performance at full-back against the ACT, and "big improvements" in the youngster's long kicking game and positional sense, McKenzie is not ruling out Norton-Knight as NSW's custodian against the Hurricanes.
    But the NSW coach is keen to "pump a bit more work" into his Wallabies contingent, who played the opening half against the Brumbies and took a while to find their feet.

"The Wallaby guys have got to get used to the new form of the game, and the fitness that goes with it," McKenzie said.

The Crusaders should have All Blacks five-eighth Dan Carter back for the Rotomahana Shield.

Impressive Waratahs rookie Rob Horne has been released to join the Australian Sevens team.

The Daily Telegraph

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to Giteau."

vCash
    i think someone needs a spoonful of concrete

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    It's pretty common and similar to what the All Blacks suffer come world cup time.....RCS or Repetitive Choking Syndrome.

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    pretty much.
    pathetic

vCash
    So that's why he was so terrible last year? HTFU Lote!!!!!!

So anyone else reckon that a repeat of his woeful form will be put down to a lack of fitness from missing pre-season matches due to the aforementioned surgery? Sounds like they have all bases covered!!!

CHEERLEADERS ROCK!!!

vCash
    I was about to mention the Waratahs famous pre season surgery ploy.....If he sucks hard enough and already has a wallaby contract, continue to run him thorugh various wasteful medical procedures to cover up his suckiness.

Btw I could name several other NSW backs who might have this condition...we'll call it Loteitis and it will be characterised by general laziness around the field and an inability to produce when under pressure....Matter of fact, there are several NSW forwards suffering Loteitis right now.....Matt Dunning, Adam Frier, Al Baxter, Will Caldwell, The entire back row (Cliff Palu has Acute Chronic Loteitis)

C'mon the

Veteran Bookie
    Contributor
    vCash
    Lote, grow you little finger nail to a point, insert in nostrils and ream away. Works a treat! Should of tried this cure a few years ago, you overpaid, underperforming, over rated and paid imposter.......god that feels better.

the punters friend..... stick with me and you will be wearing

vCash
    could not have put it better myself TLH

vCash
    here here from me to

vCash
    I suspect much thanks coming your way TLH

C'mon the