Thread: New rules will change bench role

vCash

New rules will change bench role

New rules will change bench role

By Bret Harris
    February 04, 2008

THE experimental laws to be introduced to Super 14 are likely to create a faster game with an increased amount of time with the ball in play, most coaches think.

As a result, players are expected to become more fatigued, particularly in the last 20 minutes of the game. But many coaches may be reluctant to go to their bench because of the restrictive rules that govern the use of reserves.

One solution is to adopt rugby league's interchange system. In the NRL teams are allowed 10 interchanges a game, whereas in rugby union once a player is replaced he cannot come back on, except if a front-rower is needed so scrums can continue.

"We need to get to an interchange situation as they do in the 13-man game," Australia and Crusaders coach Robbie Deans said. "At the moment, coaches are loath to replace players because once they have been replaced they can't come back on.

"If you get injuries and the game is a bit faster, you are going to be very vulnerable if you end up being a man down.

"The way we approach the management of the bench needs to be changed.

"That will be a good outcome because everyone works just as hard, whether they are starting or coming on.

"They all train as hard and it would be good for reserves to have access to be able to play."

Apart from this one concern, Deans is an enthusiastic supporter of the new laws, designed to promote attacking rugby.

The new laws include: not passing back to the 22 for a kick out on the full; throwing the ball backwards from a quick lineout; standing five metres behind the scrum in defence and awarding more free-kicks than penalties for infringements.
    Deans said teams that were prepared to take the initiative would gain from the new laws.

"I believe we will end up with the ball in play for a little bit longer," Deans said. "I believe the game will be faster. We'll see more tries scored.

"And the reason for that is there is now an ability for teams to initiate play where, in the past, we had to wait for re-starts.

"Whoever takes the initiative, that's what the game is designed to do.

"Ideally, a good game, no matter what code, is a game whereby attack has scope and teams that play constructively and seek to attack are rewarded.

"Where I think we saw at the World Cup teams preferred not to have the ball. It doesn't make for a very great spectacle."

While Deans believes rugby will retain its varied bodyshapes under the new laws, he suspects the nature of certain positions could change.

"Changes in positions is going to be one of the most fascinating areas for me," Deans said.

"In the past teams have had the ability to distribute the ball. The Crusaders have had three pivots at 10, 12 and 15. It makes a big difference in your ability to attack. With the new laws around the scrum it is a lot easier to gain forward momentum with the extra five metres available to you so you get in behind the defensive line.

"That's the feedback we've received from our forwards. They have felt the stress at having to get back behind the defensive line.

"Whether that profits the team that has distributors and can run all day or whether that profits teams with big midfielders, who may not be as good as distributors, but it is easier to get to the outside channel so their lesser skill set might be adequate.

"Look at South Africa. The suggestion has been that it may compromise them, but I also think when they've got position they can rumble forward whereas when you've had a backline on the gain-line it's been harder for them to be effective.

"I'd like to think that with the increased amount of time in play with the ball that it will reward those who have skills."

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to Giteau."

vCash

Hoiles perfect shape for variations

Hoiles perfect shape for variations

By Wayne Smith
    February 04, 2008

STEPHEN Hoiles is about to discover how much truth there is to all the hype about him being the Australian player most likely to flourish under rugby's new laws.

The experimental law variations have taken away some of the rigid structure from the game, especially the ruling that for all offences other than offside, foul play and not entering the ruck "through the gate", a free-kick, not a penalty is awarded. With the kick-for-touch option effectively removed, most teams are taking quick taps to exploit broken defences.

Seemingly, the law amendments were written with Hoiles in mind. At 98kg, he is by no means a battering ram number eight in the mould of a Wycliff Palu or David Lyons but still a formidable size nonetheless. Pace and the power aside, he is a highly skilled and elusive ball-runner and, as well, the man most likely to support a line break.

But while in theory this all adds up to a breakthrough season for Hoiles, at the moment no-one knows for certain because he will not play his first match under the new laws until Friday when the Brumbies travel to Levin for their final pre-season hit-out, against the Hurricanes.

"You'd like to think the new laws will open up the game and suit a more mobile backrower like me but the fact is I haven't even played a game under them and haven't even seen too much of them either," Hoiles said. "They seem to put more onus on players to play what's in front of them, not just making line breaks but supporting them as well."

It might seem a little strange to be talking of this as a possible breakthrough season for Hoiles, when he played in all 12 Tests last season to take his tally of caps to 15.

Yet in only two, against South Africa in Sydney, when he was named man of the match, and the Bledisloe Cup match in Auckland a fortnight later when his rushed pass from the back of the scrum to All Blacks halfback Brendon Leonard was the sad turning point of the game, was he in the run-on side.

What particularly hurt was that he was given only four minutes off the bench at the bitter end of the World Cup quarter-final against England, this on a sweltering day in which the Australian forwards were being smashed.

Hoiles, 26, doesn't want to dwell on the fact that he was virtually unused by John Connolly in the two physically toughest Tests of 2007 (he was given only one minute against the Springboks in Cape Town) but the pain of being held on the bench has sharpened his determination to win a starting spot under coach Robbie Deans.

Certainly Hoiles' Brumbies coach Laurie Fisher has no reservations about the multi-skilled backrower.

"I do think we can use him a lot better now," Fisher said. "There are plenty of backrowers who can run hard but not too many who can make good decisions with ball in hand."

The faith Fisher has shown in Hoiles almost certainly will be repaid this year, with the former Waratah hinting he intends to re-sign with the Brumbies.

"I want to stay in Canberra and I want to be involved in the next World Cup, so all going well I'll sign on for another couple of years with them," Hoiles said.

Queensland also looks set for some good contract news with former Canberra Raiders captain and Maroons Origin representative Clinton Schifcofske, 32, indicating he was likely to play out the remainder of his career with the Reds.

Given that 80 per cent goalkickers are a rare breed indeed, that's just what new Reds coach Phil Mooney wants to hear.

"Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to Giteau."

vCash
    i agree with the substitite rule needing to be looked at, but i think thats something that will be looked at this season, as we gauge the effect of a faster game on players

vCash
    Resistance is futile, they say, and it is with a hint of sadness that I submit to the inevitable winds of (rule) change that that will continue to bombard the beloved game into what is hoped to be a highly profitable future.

Me of "In Our Day" (IODs) rugby remembers a time when you had to prove your injury to the ref/touch judge before being granted permission to substitute. Sure, there were ways around it such as falling to the ground and groaning like a mad man as you clutched your supposedly sprained ankle (a particular favourite) but it was always with pride that we scoffed at other sports that allowed willy-nilly substitutions - rugby, after all, is (was?) a hard game played by those who can last 80 minutes.

vCash
    they dont call it the game played in heavan for no reason!
    god forbid we get to the stage that the italian soccer team is at though.

Veteran Bookie
    Contributor
    vCash
    A hard game for hard men. Why change it? Keep it unique.

the punters friend..... stick with me and you will be wearing

vCash
    I agree, why get bitchy now.

Changing the substitution rule will have a far greater impact on the way the game is played than the scant tinkering which has been done to the laws currently.

Don't forget touch has unlimited interchange and is characterised by teams of incredibly quick guys who run for about two minutes before rotating off for a quick breather and then repeating the cycle. In terms of running back play it's faster and more high scoring by far than both league and union...for sure....but I'd rather watch a game of Rugby than a game of touch...as a matter of fact, ABC2 showed the national touch chmpionships recently (couple of saturday afternoons maybe mid ARC last year)...i seriously couldn't last more than one or two games (with 7 minute halves) it was all the same bloke doing the same thing (or so it seemed, the players could have been cloned)

C'mon the

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    With the comments about getting tired in the last 20, I can see the saffers putting on their acting skills a lot.