Thread: League circles Beale as rugby deal on hold

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash

League circles Beale as rugby deal on hold

League circles Beale as rugby deal on hold
    By RUPERT GUINNESS - SMH | Tuesday, 29 January 2008
    League circles Beale as rugby deal on hold - Rugby news & coverage - Stuff.co.nz

Waratahs five-eighth Kurtley Beale could end up on a platter for the taking by rugby league unless his future with the Australian Rugby Union is settled within the next two weeks.

The ARU, NSW Rugby and Beale's management are all confident he'll remain with the Waratahs when he comes off contract after this year, and that the 19-year-old's heart is in playing rugby union rather than league.

Yesterday, Beale indicated as much, and also added that he would like the issue to be settled as soon as possible so he won't be distracted during the season.

"That is what a lot of people would want," said Beale. "A lot of the boys have been in those circumstances and if it keeps going it can play on their minds a bit.

"I wouldn't mind it just to be over and done with so I can enjoy a real good season this year."

But the longer it goes before Beale re-signs, the greater the danger of a rugby league club coming from out of the shadows to poach him, especially as his management is still fielding approaches.

The Roosters, Rabbitohs, Sharks, Penrith and Gold Coast have all made approaches and, if they know Beale is still uncommitted after this year, will be ready to swoop if he starts his second season at the Waratahs at his dazzling best.

The NRL clubs are sure to keep a keen eye on him during the Waratahs' next two Super 14 trials, against the Brumbies in Gosford on Friday and Crusaders in Sydney on Thursday week.

The ARU sees Beale as a must-have player for the future, and is keen to start talks with his management soon.

Beale's agent, Rob Horton, yesterday said he expected the negotiations to conclude in about two weeks. But he had a warning.

"If the league clubs approached us we would have to listen," he said.

Despite the unlikelihood that Beale would leave union, the lack of a new contract worries NSW coach Ewen McKenzie.

Just last week he learned that Wallabies and NSW second-rower Dan Vickerman will leave for England after this year following his decision to not re-sign with the ARU. He had believed Vickerman would stay in Australia.

On top of that, negotiations between the ARU and NSW Wallabies forwards Rocky Elsom and Wycliff Palu are also taking taking longer than he - or they - would like.

While all parties in Beale's case would have a good idea of his value now, the next fortnight could potentially change that should he produce the blinding performances expected in the two coming trials.

If he shines and raises his market value, and even if he is not courted by league, securing him after Super 14 starts could cost the ARU more than it would now for a contract expected to extend to the 2011 World Cup.

For the Waratahs, it is one more signing delay they can do without.

"It always worries me when you have the Beale's [negotiations] that tend trickle along a little bit when you actually want to get them done," said McKenzie, who yesterday named Beale as No.10 for Friday's trial at Sydney Football Stadium.

"He [Beale] is locked in mentally or whatever, but not locked in contractually ... There is no indication that he is going to do anything else but stay here.

"And everyone here [at NSW] and at the ARU has decided that we want him. So, I am thinking: 'OK ... everyone is saying the right things. So how do we get pen on paper?' Once you get pen on paper you move on."

NSW still have a number of players to re-sign. And despite being buoyed by winger Lachie Turner's decision to remain at NSW on a new deal up to and including 2011, McKenzie is wary about the impact of more departures.

"Once you make the decision you want to keep them, you go hard and sign them," he said. "You want to tick them off and say: 'OK, that's done, what's next?' There is a critical point where, when you have signed enough good players, the rest actually want to be here. You get critical mass ... But I do worry about the momentum you can get when key players go [and] other people start thinking: 'This may be not a bad idea'."

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

vCash
    I'm starting to see a pattern here

Dan Vickerman ..... He's a must have for the Wallabies, the ARU MUST keep him AT ALL COSTS
    Rocky Elsom ..... He's a must have for the Wallabies, the ARU MUST keep him AT ALL COSTS
    Wycliffe Palu..... He's a must have for the Wallabies, the ARU MUST keep him AT ALL COSTS
    Kurtley Beale..... He's a must have for the Wallabies, the ARU MUST keep him AT ALL COSTS

Who's next Phil Kearns?

C'mon the

vCash
    Let's face it, the Tahs are unable to fund even a 2nd rate squad & therefore run bleating to the ARU that their 'marquee' players are certain for the Wallabies & therefore need a top up.

CHEERLEADERS ROCK!!!

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    If you love them, set them free...

And besides, when they come home with their tails between their legs they'll be much cheaper.

vCash
    If you can't afford them, tell them not to let the door hit them on the A$$.

On a serious note though, we do need to retain SOME talented players, and (as the adage goes) you pay peanuts.....

C'mon the

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    I'm starting to see a pattern here
    Dan Vickerman ..... He's a must have for the Wallabies, the ARU MUST keep him AT ALL COSTS
    Rocky Elsom ..... He's a must have for the Wallabies, the ARU MUST keep him AT ALL COSTS
    Wycliffe Palu..... He's a must have for the Wallabies, the ARU MUST keep him AT ALL COSTS
    Kurtley Beale..... He's a must have for the Wallabies, the ARU MUST keep him AT ALL COSTS
    Who's next Phil Kearns?
    At the end of the day I'm not all that suprised. Vickerman was probably very keen on leaving but thought he might see how much he could drum up from the ARU and it didn't turn out to be much more than what he was getting- and why would it he's not that much better than he was 2 years ago and there are a lot of great young locks going around.

Rocky Elsom's case is an interesting one. I have a feeling JON would have mused out Robbie Deans initial ideas as coach and I don't think Elsom is a part of that so his bags are a packing. I like Elsom but I don't think he really fits into the number 6 role quite right.

Wycliff Palu is another one that I don't think would fit into Dean's plans. His workrate is too low and for every 2 really good games he has there is at least one where is doesn't really do anything. I must admit though he's great to watch when he is on song. I certainly wouldn't describe him as a must have.

As for Kurtley Beale he is touted as a great future superstar. But he isn't a superstar yet and he isn't even an established player yet. However his managers will be trying to draw as much as they can out of the ARU for this boy and I think its money wasted until he proves himself at super 14 level.

vCash
    I think this kind of story shows why we need something to fill the post Super 14 gap in this country.

You're a professional player; you didn't make the national team so your season is pretty much over by May; now you fill the time by playing local club games or meaningless friendlies. Suddenly the NRL starts to look kind of appealing...