Poll: What should the Force do if 'forced' to go it alone?

Thread: Worst Case Scenario

vCash

Worst Case Scenario

On the "Force taking their ball and going to britain" thread, there were a lot of ideas for what the Western Force should do if the new national competition goes belly-up, due to all the disagreements and power struggles between the NSW clubs and - well - everybody else...

Unlikely it would get to this (you would think), but where would you like to see the Western Force, or its squad members, playing if they have to do their own thing?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Tough pick there Beige, I've gone for the International Competition Launch, because I think to Launch a National competition without NSW is just a ludicrous as launching one that is ONLY NSW. However, there are several options there that I would be happy to see. as a matter of fact, anything that gives the fringe players more exposure to rugby played at a S14 level (or near that) would be OK as long as players remain contracted within our state.

I would see that it's important for some players to play in the WA local comp, but this will happen regardless of the options chosen by RugbyWA, and this is not really a step towards a third tier, it's just improving the standard of the current second tier. This will make places in the local comp harder to get and turn the league semi-pro. thus defeating many of the objectives of a third tie in the first place.

If no suitable option surfaces, I'm all for entry in a SA or NZ provincial tournament, or international tours...heck anything that will develop the boys adequately is OK in my books. Just don't sell out to Randwick and Sydney Uni.

C'mon the

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    I'd like to see a few of these options at the same time. I think the younger and less experienced players like Sam Wykes or Ben Whittaker could play for the local comp while some of those close to Wallaby level could be loaned out to Currie Cup/APC sides (like say Scott Fava or Gareth Hardy). From what I was told in the few games that Force players turned out for they made some of the games a bit uneven in the local comp. Then you've still got time for a two or three game international tour to whereever or have international teams come to Perth.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Yup - loaning players would at least help them gain experience, but it would also be good for the guys to play some matches more or less as a team, whether it's in a new competition or as friendlies.

Keeping the Faith ... right here in Perth!

vCash
    I agree totally James. My vote for an International Club comp was more a case of choosing the one thing which in Isolation would provide the best outcomes.

I'd have to say, composites are my first preference as well.......actually no, the ARC is my FIRST preference.

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    some of those close to Wallaby level could be loaned out to Currie Cup/APC sides (like say Scott Fava or Gareth Hardy).
    Didn't the Waratahs loan out John Welborn to the Natal Sharks for the Currie Cup one year?

I wonder if it could be an option to shore up some of the smaller Currie Cup teams with quality Force players - it is an 8 team competition but only 5 ever have a genuine chance of winning it. While I don't know how big the gap really is, you imagine that loaning someone like Scott Fava to a team like Boland could be of benefit to both parties - they get the benefit of his skills and experience and he gets to play in a high-level rugby competition. They certainly wouldn't be short of motivation...