Thread: Adam Gilchrist retires

vCash

Adam Gilchrist retires

INTERNATIONAL sporting legend Adam Gilchrist has dropped a bombshell at the end of play in Adelaide - announcing his retirement from all forms of cricket.

Australia's record-making wicketkeeper and vice-captain, 36, said he would retire from Test cricket at the conclusion of current clash against India at the Adelaide Oval - before finishing up his Australian career at the conclusion of the upcoming one-day tri series involving India and Sri Lanka.

Today's announcement will also see an end to his career with Western Australia and Perth Cricket Club.

It is not yet certain whether he will take part in the lucrative Indian Premier League Twenty20 tournament in India later this year.

``It is with great pride and happiness that I make the decision to retire from Test and one-day cricket,'' Gilchrist said.

``I've come to this decision after much thought and discussion with those most important to me.

``My family and I have been fortunate to have had an amazing journey full of rich experiences throughout my career and are sincerely grateful to all who have helped make this stage of our lives so fulfilling.''

Gilchrist said he was keen to spend more time with his wife, Mel, and their three children.

He thanked Cricket Australia, the Western Australian Cricket Association and Cricket NSW and all his team-mates and support staff.

Gilchrist became the world record holder for most Test dismissals by a wicketkeeper this week when he affected his 414th career dismissal to move past South Africa's Mark Boucher.

The West Australian made his Test debut in 1999 and has played 96 Tests in succession, also a record.

Apart from his keeping success, Gilchrist revolutionised the game as an attacking batsman from No.7 and scored 5556 runs at 47.89, with a highest score of 204 not out.

He scored 17 Test centuries.

Gilchrist also captained Australia in five Tests, in the absence of Steve Waugh and then Ricky Ponting, for a record of three wins, one loss and one draw.

Gilchrist made his first-class debut in 1992-93 for NSW but established himself when he crossed the country and played for Western Australia.

He made his international debut in 1996 when he played the first of 277 one-day internationals.

He was a star in the limited-overs game as an opening batsman, and played a part in Australia's World Cup triumphs in 1999, 2003 and last year in the Caribbean.

In one-day internationals he scored 9297 runs at an average of 36.03, with 15 centuries and a highest score of 172, and he took a total of 454 dismissals.

Despite breaking the Test keeping record yesterday, he has endured his struggles this summer through several costly dropped catches.

However, he has maintained he would always leave the game on his own terms.

He said last night he would inform the public and media when he would retire, but gave no indication of when that would be.

His position is now likely to be taken by NSW's Brad Haddin, his long-time understudy.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    perthnow.com.au

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash
    Good on ya Gillie You've left some big big shoes to fill

Gilchrist made his first-class debut in 1992-93 for NSW but established himself when he crossed the country and played for Western Australia.

Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

vCash
    I heard this on the radio when i came of the cricket field last night, the only reason i was a bit shocked was because only a couple of days ago he said he would be playing for at least another year. Although he stated several time of his desire to go out of the game on his terms (unlike his predecessor Ian Healy who was dropped for Gilchrist to make his Debut against Pakistan in 1999).

While his form with the bat has suffered for a couple of years it is his form with the gloves that has put him into the spotlight dropping several easy chances of late including two in the current Test Match being played in Adelaide.

There has been alot of speculation about his batting over the last 18-24 months i think he is a victim of his own reputaion more than anything else. Everyone got used to him comming in and blasting 50 runs minimum and dominating a bowling attack that people started to expect it every innings he walked out to bat.

Gilchrist changed the way the game is played in Australia in regards to wicketkeepers, it used to be the Keeper could be considered the start of the tail (take that Ian Healy) but not only did Gilchrist change the fact that the wicket keeper should be a FULL-time batsmen, most of the wicket keepers comming through the ranks of district and state cricket today are of the same aggresive mould (example Luke Ronchi from WA earlier in the season agaisnt Qld in a 4 day game took 12 balls to move from 50 to 100).

Brad Haddin whilst probably being first in line may not be thew man selected (although i would like to see it happen) with the above metioned Luke Ronchi (WA) Chris Hartley (Qld) being decent wicket keepers and good aggressive batsmen).

In my opinion his finest hour came early in his Test Career (his 2nd test) in the
    2nd Test against Pakistan, when chasing 369 to win Australia were reduced to 5/130 late on Day 3 when Adam Gilchrist walked out to join fellow West Aussie Justin Langer, the pair then batted through Day 4 and although one of them lost their wicket with victory within their grasp and it was actualy Shane Warne who hit the winning runs, it was the work of Gilchrist and Langer that was responsible for a famous Australian Victory.

Adam Gilchrist will be rememered for a long time to come, he was a 3 time world cup winner (Scoring at least 50 in each of the 3 finals), narrowly missed out on breaking Viv Richards record for fastest test 100 (WHich has stood for over 20 years) last summer against England last year at the WACA and being the 1st test batsmen to hit 100 6's in test cricket. Current world record holder for test dismissals (although Mark Boucher from Sotuh Africa wil pass this).

He led his country in six tests since 2000 (or 2001) for 4 wins, most notably a series win in India and Australia's first win in India for 37 years while Ricky Ponting was sidelined with a broken thumb (Ponting played the 4th Test of the series but the Series had already been won with victories in the 1st and 3rd tests and a draw in the 2nd). He also led Australia in 15 One Day internationals for 11 wins (could increase later in the summer)

Adam Gilchrist desrevs to be recognised for what he is, a great batsmen, a great wicket keeper and an all round top bloke, enjoy the rest of the summer mate and all the best in retirement. Many time have my mates and I toasted to one of your great innings and i say at least one more time

M In NO Runs HS Ave SR 100 50 Ct St
    TEST 95 136 20 5556 204 47.90 81.97 17 26 373 37
    ODI 277 269 11 9297 172 36.03 96.89 15 53 401 53
    Twenty20 Int 12 12 1 247 48 22.45 145.29 0 0 16 0
    First-Class 189 279 46 10320 204 44.29 30 43 55
    Aus One-day dom 43 40 3 1171 131 31.65 2 7 72 7
    Aus Twenty20 dom - - - - - - - - - - -

vCash
    Good on ya Gilly

You certainly raised the bar on the role of a keeper in the team...Congratulations and go kick some arse in the tri-series

vCash
    We gotta remember Gilly is a freak - in the nicest possible way! The replacement has big shoes to fill if we want him to be the same as Gilly. Only nobody is.

The replacement has to be the best keeper in the land. if he bats at 7 or 10 it doesn't matter; he just has to be Mr Reliable at (a) taking all the chances - catches and stumpings - and (b) stopping the ball when it gets past the stumps.

We are going to miss Gilly because of the different dimension he gives to both the long and short form of the game. Never before - ever - has a team dismissed all of the batsmen and still have to then contend with a keeper who could win his spot just on batting ability.

Onya Gilly - legend. And forsaking all others to move to WA - bigger legend! (although Timmy Z might not think so......)

vCash
    Great innings, Gilly.

However, I do not agree with making the announcement in the middle of what will now be his last test match. It stinks of self-aggrandissement so that he can get talked about & a couple of standing ovations. It'd be much more respectful to the game to wait until the end of the series & then say: "that's it".

CHEERLEADERS ROCK!!!

vCash
    i'm gonna have to disagree there jedi.
    gilly has always been a selfless cricketer. i think he made the decision because it enabled him to leave on his terms.
    for those who were watching him today. he didnt 'soak up' the standing ovation he recieved when he walked on and off the ground. he went straight to the pitch and then almost straight back. he may have acknoleged(yes i know its spelt wrong, too tired to care) the crowd, but he wasnt doing anything different from what he usually does.

good on ya gilly. all the best in whatever you decide to do with the rest of your time.

but i do respect that everyone has different opinions jedi. and i wasnt having a go mate

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash
    The way I read it was it was about to be announced by the press because of a leak or something. He did it himself to beat the leaks.

Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Absolute legend of the game and I would have to say the best "Cricketer" (in all senses of the word) that I have personally seen.
    The respect he is held in was reflected by his reception to the field by the Indian XI in a particularly niggly Test Series.
    Few players of any sport are able to claim to have changed an aspect of the way that sport is played, Gilly certainly can

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Hope all goes well for you GILLY your a champ