Thread: Deans plan open to conflict: Fisher

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash

Deans plan open to conflict: Fisher

Deans plan open to conflict: Fisher
    Rupert Guinness | January 24, 2008
    Deans plan open to conflict: Fisher - rugbyheaven07.com.au

Brumbies coach Laurie Fisher has rubbished the proposal of new Wallabies mentor Robbie Deans that the Australian Super 14 head coaches become national squad selectors.

The three other Super 14 coaches were receptive to the idea yesterday, but Fisher is clearly unwilling to divulge insights into his players before New Zealander Deans' Super 14 duties with the Crusaders end and he starts as Wallabies coach.

"Until he has finished with the Crusaders, he is the opposition," Fisher said yesterday after the Herald revealed the Kiwi's intention, which has yet to be rubber-stamped by the Australian Rugby Union.

"I certainly won't be discussing the relative strengths and weaknesses of my players until he has finished up with the Crusaders in the Super 14. You are talking about two sides here who could be in the Super 14 final."

Deans, who is contracted to the New Zealand Rugby Union until the Crusaders finish the Super 14 season, said the proposal would give the provinces a fair and influential say in the make-up of the Wallabies squad. He believes that by appointing Fisher, Ewen McKenzie (NSW), John Mitchell (Western Force) and Phil Mooney (Queensland) as squad selectors, the process could get under way during the Super 14, as it would open the lines of communication between them and himself without breaching his NZRU contract.

Even if Deans's plan went ahead, Fisher - whose Brumbies finished fifth last year and have yet to reach the finals since he took over in 2005 - questioned whether each Super 14 coach's wishes would be granted.

"I would like to think there would be an open discussion [after Super 14]. But I don't know … who makes the final [squad] decision? Do I just say, 'Pick my 22?' We could have an 88-man squad," he said.

McKenzie, Mitchell and Mooney, meanwhile, were more supportive of Deans's bid to include the provinces who, in the past, have often been divided, with some claiming they have been hard done by Wallabies selectors.

But they all agreed the ARU had to outline exactly - and as soon as possible - what process would be adopted during Super 14, as well as the ARU's expectations of them, since they are not ARU employees.

"The idea of involving the state coaches … it is a good thing to get them involved. But the devil will be in the detail," McKenzie said. "I don't understand the detail and I not sure really how that will work over the next six months. It hasn't been outlined to us. I am sure someone will tell us that will work in next period of time."

Mitchell, to whom Deans was assistant with the All Blacks during their 2003 World Cup campaign when Australia knocked them out in the semi-final, also welcomed what would be a coaching reunion between them.

"It will be terrific to have open dialogue with the head coach of the Wallabies and understand his process on selection," Mitchell said.

"But assuming he will have some kind of formula and our considerations will be weighted, I would have thought bearing in mind, [that] he makes the final decision.

"However, like everything at this level, consistent performance [on the field] will enhance and present any Australian player an opportunity regardless of the process."

As supportive is Mooney, the former Australian under-19s coach who is in his first season coaching a Super 14 side.

"It is terrific to know the national coach wants to have open discussions between the states and him," he said. "It is an efficient way of using the resources we have got in Australia."

Mooney said he doubted the Australian sides would risk compromising their Super 14 seasons by offering Deans insights into their players during the competition.

"I am sure Robbie has a fair idea of the strengths and weaknesses of [Australian] players he is going up against [in Super 14] already," Mooney said.

"Maybe our role will be more about putting in some of the pieces of the [selection] puzzle, giving views on players' personalities and more what they are like off-field."

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Veteran Bookie
    Contributor
    vCash
    There will be a bit angst till our man takes over after the 14s. He knows that and the ARU as well. Best man for the job, end of story.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

the punters friend..... stick with me and you will be wearing