Thread: Heath Ledger Found Dead

vCash

Heath Ledger Found Dead

Heath Ledger was found dead this morning in New York apparently from a drug overdose.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    War is Gods may of teaching Americans Geography

vCash
    so i heard.
    what a spin out

vCash
    I heard it on Nova 93.7 at about 6:40, had it confirmed by sky news. Ive heard several reports that there MAY have been pills nearby, but i wish to point out that it is only rumour and speculation at this stage.

dont worry jono i think there will be alot of people spun out by this one

vCash
    i am shocked he was always a bit of an oddball but a great one and never suspected drugs were in his life if rumour is true. sad to see him go at a young age and am looking fwd to the dark knight

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    That is really sad to hear. Right at the point of breaking into the "major league" of actors too I had recently heard reported.

As with Chris Mainwaring, please be aware that as a local WA boy there may well be people on or visiting TWF who knew Heath personally, so please respect that with any comments made.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    I'm with Burgs on this one...lets respect his memory
    __________________________________________________ _
    Heath Ledger Found Dead

Australian actor Heath Ledger has been found dead in his Manhattan apartment, possibly of a drug overdose.

Police spokesman Paul Browne has confirmed Perth-born Ledger, 28, was found dead by a housekeeper at his apartment in the trendy SoHo neighbourhood.

"We are investigating the possibility of an overdose," Mr Browne said.

According to Mr Browne, the housekeeper found Ledger at 3:26pm (7:26am AEDT) and tried to wake him for his appointment to have a massage.

As far as Mr Browne knows, only Ledger and the housekeeper were in the apartment.
    Lieutenant John Grimpal from the New York Police Department says drugs were found at the scene, but investigators are yet to determine how he died.

"There was some type of drugs found," he said. "Unknown what type right now.
    "The medical examiner will determine if that ... caused his death or if something else caused his death. "The housekeeper went into the bedroom, I guess to wake him or to get him, and that's when he was found unconscious in the bedroom," he said. "There were pills around his body, prescription pills."

Police do not suspect foul play, but the cause of death still has not been confirmed by the medical examiner.

Ledger's body has been removed from the apartment. An autopsy will be conducted on Wednesday morning (local time).

Entertainment website TMZ says Ledger was discovered "face down on the floor" adding that "law enforcement sources ... believe it was not a crime."

The New York Times says Ledger was discovered by the housekeeper and a masseuse. They knocked on the door, but "when no one answered, the housekeeper and the masseuse opened the bedroom and found Mr Ledger naked and unconscious on a bed. They shook him, but he did not respond," the Times said.

The newspaper initially said police officials believed that the apartment was inhabited by actress Mary-Kate Olsen, 21, and that Ledger was renting it from her.

However, a representative for the actress later denied this, telling the paper: "She does not own the apartment. She has never owned the apartment."

The handsome star and his long-time companion, actress Michelle Williams, separated last year. Williams is mother of the actor's young daughter, Matilda.

Tributes

Ledger was nominated for a best actor Oscar for his role as a gay cowboy in Brokeback Mountain. He did not win. The award went to Philip Seymour Hoffman for his role as Truman Capote.

The film's director, Ang Lee, had hailed Ledger's performance as a "miracle" of acting, reminiscent of a young Marlon Brando.

Australian actress Nicole Kidman has expressed shock at Ledger's death. "What a tragedy. My heart goes out to his family," Kidman said in a statement to celebrity news show Extra.

Margaret Pomeranz from ABC TV's At The Movies says she is devastated by the news. "I am so upset ... he's such a talented boy and really I think a beautiful soul," she said. "I think to choose the roles he's chosen showed just such intelligence."

Neil Armfield directed Ledger in Candy. He says he was an actor of incredible power and potential. "He was always a complex and complicated man to work with but ... just a master ... just so passionately concerned to get it right."

Ledger's other film credits included A Knight's Tale, The Patriot and Monster's Ball.
    He was one of several actors playing a role representing Bob Dylan in I'm Not There. He will appear as The Joker in the next Batman film The Dark Knight. The film is currently in post-production.

Fellow Australian actor Samuel Johnson says his latest performance was said to have been one of his best. "His portrayal of The Joker in the new Batman [film] was going to rival Jack Nicholson's in the original," he said. "I've heard nothing but positive feedback about his latest job. "I'm distraught about this ... I think we've lost one of the best young actors Australia's produced - if not the best."

'Unusual talent'

Ledger first came to prominence by acting as a homosexual athlete in the little-known Australian series Sweat in 1996. He played a gay cyclist in the soap, set at the Western Australian Institute of Sport.

The creator and writer of the series, John Rapsey, says it was clear that Ledger - then a 16-year-old sports champion and high school dropout - possessed an unusual talent. "He himself had absolutely no problem playing the role. He handled all of that with great aplomb," Rapsey told AFP. "What was noticeable about him was he was concentrated, very quiet, and you could see that he was really observant of other people."

Ledger, who never attended acting school and who left his home state of Western Australia for Sydney as a teenager, credited his instincts with his success. "The one thing that's got me to where I'm sitting is my instincts, you know, and I'm impatient. I didn't want to wait for years to work. I wanted to just get out there and do it," he said in 2001.

At 19, Ledger left Sydney for Hollywood. His standout talent was spotted by Mel Gibson when auditioning 500 actors for the role of his son in The Patriot. The casting was Ledger's first big-time break and led to his leading role in A Knight's Tale.

Fellow Australian actor Gibson has described Ledger as possessing "the unknown factor" that "sort of lights up the screen".

Ledger continued his steady impact on Hollywood, with a small role in Monster's Ball (2001), followed by the lead in The Four Feathers (2002), Australian drama Ned Kelly (2003) and The Brothers Grimm (2005).

At 26, the Australian was the youngest nominee for the best male actor category and the outside chance to take the statue away from fellow contenders Hoffman, David Strathairn, Joaquin Phoenix and Terrence Howard.

This month, Ledger had been working on his latest movie, The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus, directed by Terry Gilliam. It was due to be released next year.

ABC/AFP/Reuters

"Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to Giteau."

vCash
    Its emerging that his death may have been accidental rather than suicide. Apparently he was being prescribed sleeping tablets and was also taking medication for anxiety.

Sleeping pills are little devils - ill never touch the buggers!

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zimeric View Post

Sleeping pills are little devils - ill never touch the buggers!
    Not without a healthy dose of amphetamines anyway

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    There's also been reports he was suffering from Pneumonia, as well as taking the sleeping pill Ambien which had been prescribed to him....and coupled together.......

A really good actor and from what i saw/read a good person as well. He was absolutely awesome in 10 things i hate about you, a really funny movie for those who've not seen it .

vCash
    It seems to be a common theme in the last 12 months, observing the passing of some exceptional people. What a waste, can only wonder why.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    I feel sorry for his daughter who now hasn't got a dad!!!

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.