Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Retain Vickerman at all costs: Waugh

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Retain Vickerman at all costs: Waugh

Retain Vickerman at all costs: Waugh

January 22, 2008

NEW South Wales captain Phil Waugh has urged Australian rugby powerbrokers to "do all they can" to retain Daniel Vickerman as the outstanding Australia lock weighs up lucrative overseas offers for 2009.

Vickerman comes off contract with the ARU at the end of this year and is being pursued by clubs in Europe and Japan offering as much as $500,000 a year.

The Wallabies vice-captain is also still considering a plan to move to England to study economics and play football at Cambridge University.

But Waugh and NSW coach Ewen McKenzie said Monday they hope Vickerman won't be lost to Australian rugby while at the peak of his powers.

"He is still growing as a player too, I think, so if he was to leave it would be a huge hole to fill," Waugh said.

"It would be disappointing to lose him, that's for sure. Certainly from my point of view and the players' point of view we are pushing very hard to the guys making the decisions to do everything they can to keep him."

South African-born Vickerman, 28, has played 48 Tests and is now a vital figure at the set-piece and in loose play for Australia and the Waratahs.

NSW particularly felt the absence of Vickerman's aggression and nous last season when he sat out the Super 14 after a shoulder reconstruction.

"He has so much more football in him. I think he's still developing as a leader and really hope he is going to stay," McKenzie said.

"For me he is one of our premier players, one of our world-class players. I've made that point (to the ARU) and I think that's understood. We're doing everything we can to keep him. We always have to work within budgets, but he is a realistic guy and understands those dynamics."

Vickerman is undoubtedly in a position of power in negotiations with the ARU, who provide the bulk of contract money on top of a NSW base salary. His value in Europe is heightened by the fact he holds a South African passport and would be regarded as a "Kolpak" (non-foreign) player.

The 204cm giant will only be 32 at the next World Cup, still younger than powerhouse English pair Ben Kay (33) and Simon Shaw (34) were in the 2007 tournament.

And with threadbare depth in the second row - and tight five in general - incoming Wallabies coach Robbie Deans will no doubt be keen to make his position known to the ARU.

Vickerman said Monday he was still uncertain about his future, and would make a decision "in due course".

"There are a few things out there, I am weighing things up ... those decisions are always tough," Vickerman said.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    I'm pretty bloody offended by this.....Vickerman is an awesome player, don't get me wrong, but the comment about Australia being 'threadbare in the second row' is absolute crap. We have bunches of capable second rowers, and some great back rowers who could make the switch quite easily. I think this is all a ploy to get the ARU to pick up more of the Waratah's salary as usual!

Let's look at the prospects:

Sharpie - 'nuff said, he's a match for Vickerman, and will fill his shoes calling lineouts and being number one jumper without a hitch
    Puse - a bit of a convert, but a handy player, maybe has a way to go before he's international standard, but a good prospect all the same

A WHOLE BUNCH of young locks, the likes of Tom Hockings, Scott Fardy, Beef O'Connor and Sam Whykes. definately looks like the second rower factory for 2011!

Poofy Blues
    Kanaar - Great prospect, while he's hurt it's hard to say much, but when fit, he will be knocking on the door of international selection.

Brumbies
    Mark Chisolm - International experience, and whilst not really as good as sharpie or Dan, a bloody good player.
    The mighty Hyphen (Wallace-Harrison) surely has to be in the same postcode as an international lock these days.

Reds
    Hugh McMenimen Like Mark Chisolm, McMenimen has international experience, and is a good prospect.

Link needs to shut up his whingeing and start paying for his own players......he can't go crying to the ARU every time he has a vacancy in a position which will cause trouble if he hasn't bothered to develop some talent.

A quick note, while researching for this post, I noticed something interesting

Force squad (AFAIK) 6 Locks
    Brumbies squad (AFAIK) 5 locks altogether
    Reds squad (AFAIK) 5 locks altogether
    Poofy Flower men squad (AFAIK) 4 locks

Why is Link Worried he might lose one?

C'mon the

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Ever notice how this kind of stuff only ever comes out of NSW? Every time you here that kind of rubbish McKenzie takes another step away from ever being Wallabies coach. How is Phil Waugh anyway 'We need to keep Vickerman so pay him lots of money' and 'Oh am I coming off contract too? I didn't know that- better give me lots too'. Idiot.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Probably just as well there are no lineouts in league, otherwise the Wallabies would be flooded with converts who play for the tahs on big money contracts and those forementioned lineout kings would be reserved for helping old ladies reach items up high on supermarket shelves in Perth, Brisbane and Canberra.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Ever notice how this kind of stuff only ever comes out of NSW? Every time you here that kind of rubbish McKenzie takes another step away from ever being Wallabies coach. How is Phil Waugh anyway 'We need to keep Vickerman so pay him lots of money' and 'Oh am I coming off contract too? I didn't know that- better give me lots too'. Idiot.
    My point exactly J...It's a shame this is about the only person in the NSW organisation for whom, there's a shred of truth to the assertion though. It makes it harder to call them dicks!

If we can't afford Chris Latham, we can't afford Dan Vickerman simple!

C'mon the

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    My assessment of Australia's "Lock Stocks" in a rough pecking order for each section:

Top-shelf Internationals:

Daniel Vickerman,
    Nathan Sharpe.

Quality Internationals (ie Start in most other countries):

Mark Chisholm,
    Hugh McMeniman,
    Alister Campbell,
    Adam Wallace-Harrison,
    James Horwill.

Ready to go on the Wallaby Bench:

Alex Kanaar,
    Will Caldwell,
    Dean Mumm,
    David Pusey.

Getting old or out of spec but still handy at a pinch:

Mitchell Chapman,
    Van Humphries,
    Ed O'Donoghue,
    Scott Fardy.

Generation Next:

Pat O'Connor,
    Richard Stanford,
    Leroy Houston,
    Peter Kimlin,
    Tom Hockings,
    Sam Wykes,
    Rob Simmons.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Vickerman to quit Waratahs
    January 25, 2008

AUSTRALIA lock Daniel Vickerman could play his last year for New South Wales after not re-signing with Australian rugby after 2008.

The decision was based on lifestyle and career choices rather than a rugby one, the 58-capped Wallaby said.

"Let me say from the outset this has never been about money," Vickerman said.

"I know there's been some speculation about clubs overseas but this decision is independent of that because it's about my career off the field, which is starting to take shape through my studies and business contacts."

Vickerman made his international debut against France in 2002 and has represented his adopted country in the past two Rugby World Cups.

Born in Cape Town, Vickerman was an under-21 South Africa representative before moving to Australia where he first played with the Brumbies from 2001 to 2003.

In 2004 the 28-year-old moved to the Waratahs where he became the line-out general and cemented his place in the Australia side.

Vickerman said he wanted to make amends for missing the 2007 Super 14 season following a shoulder reconstruction in November 2006, resulting from an injury sustained on the Wallabies' spring tour to Europe.

"I'm fully committed to the Waratahs this season and I'm totally focused on winning the Super 14," he said.

The bruising lock has not ruled out a return to the rugby paddock in a couple of years.

"Hopefully I'd still be competitive like Joe Roff was when he returned from a brief break from the game here."

Waratahs coach Ewen McKenzie was disappointed with Vickerman's decision but expects the former Wallabies vice-captain to lead the charge in 2008.

"It's a massive loss no doubt about it but Dan's made his decision and I respect him for it," McKenzie said.

"We gave it our best shot but Dan's mind is made up and I expect nothing less than his best season for the Waratahs in 2008.

"This could be his last shot at a Waratahs' Super 14 title so his motivation will be higher than ever before and I'm sure the entire squad will feed off his enthusiasm."

AAP

vCash
    As Gordon Ramsay would say, "F*&$ me!".

Anyhow, that should end the speculation regarding his future with the team and hopefully both he and the team can focus on the season at hand. At 28, well 29 I guess when he's done next year will still leave room for a 2-4 year stint in Europe, maybe part time like Joey at Oxford (seems to be his role model).

vCash
    I think some of the names mentioned by Burgs, particularly Chisolm and McMeniman will fill the wallaby breech, providing Hugh can stay fit.

What memories Vickerman has left us with.

Aussies slap some English butt - New Zealand's source for sport, rugby, cricket & league news on Stuff.co.nz

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    Sharpe could be next on Howards hit list.

when does his ARU contract expire
    when does his Force contract expire

Senior Player Contributor hopep's Avatar
    vCash
    I am willing to be corrected, but am fairly certain Sharpie only has a 3 yr contract at the Force - so the end of this season, which is likely to coincide with his ARU contract.

Senior Player Contributor hopep's Avatar
    vCash
    My gripe with the Vickermann and Latham affair is that the ARU keeps crying poor - but chucks wads of cash to NSW for league converts.

No money for existing players (proven performers), no money to develop the next generation (ARC), but still plenty for league converts (unproven) who sign with NSW - Theres evidence that a lot of DickHeads are still working at the ARU

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hopep View Post
    I am willing to be corrected, but am fairly certain Sharpie only has a 3 yr contract at the Force - so the end of this season, which is likely to coincide with his ARU contract.
    OK

you can almost guarantee Sharpe will be off to Europe next year

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by brokendown gunfighter View Post
    OK

you can almost guarantee Sharpe will be off to Europe next year
    Hmmmmm....Interesting thouhgt.
    Hypothetically, Sharpie hangs up his S14 boots next year and goes for the French retirement plan, what do you think would happen for the club.

My money is on Matt Giteau captaining, since the remainder of our lock stocks are fairly young, and I think 5/8th is a pretty good spot to captain from. I can't think of a forward who really has the credentials to take over from sharpie as team captain, so there would be a good chance of Brownie or someone of that ilk to vice captain and lead from the front.

Scotty Fava would be my first choice if it hadn't been for the drinking!

C'mon the

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    I can't think of a forward who really has the credentials to take over from sharpie as team captain, so there would be a good chance of Brownie or someone of that ilk to vice captain and lead from the front.

Scotty Fava would be my first choice if it hadn't been for the drinking!
    Innocent Quokka will have something to say about that

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast