Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: News from Brock James

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jazza93 View Post
    Steyn's drop goal was from about 57m out, so it was a bit further back and with less effort, but James kicked his from 53 in the extra time of a semi final with so much more pressure. So i think they are on par if anything.
    not that i want to get into a pissing match... but not even close mate.

have another look.

you may notice that Steyns was near the middle as you said about 57m out but have a look at the tragectory of the ball... it clears the TOP of the posts.. he couldve hit that from his own 22 and it wouldve gone over!

[YOUTUBE]3DkPOO2tF0o[/YOUTUBE]

and hes no one hit wonder either.
    This one is even further out but he didnt hit it as hard:
    [YOUTUBE]rImrI7SYtfY[/YOUTUBE]

and i still dont like him but i respect what hes best at..

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    I don't care about the whole "he could of kicked it from his 22" thing. He kicked a nice DG from so far out, but i'm just saying Jame's DG was under much more pressure and harder conditions.

I could stand 5m out, kick it through the posts and clear them by 45m and say, wow i could of kicked this from halfway.........

If he ever kicks one from the 22 then good on him, but you would have to be south african to call that 57m drop kick a 70m+ drop kick.

vCash
    hoho... ok play nice... I could accuse you of being a one eyed Australian for trying to rate Brocky against Steyn but thats not my style or my point.. my point is Steyn absolutely thumped that ball and didnt look like he hit it hard at all whereas Brock just about kicked his leg right off his hip to get that ball in...

as i said it was a very good drop goal but hes not on a par with Steyn.. nowhere near, when drop goals are the measuring stick.

vCash
    I was only arguing about the two drop kicks compared. In which James's was in extra time of a semi final on an angle under pressure, and Steyns was a bit further back with less pressure.

Steyn is a much better DG kicker than James, but refer to the last page we were comparing the 2 youtube videos.

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    Steyn is a better drop goal kicker than Brock James, but Sorry Zim, Steyn has nothing to do with this thread or how good a kick it was that Brock pulled off in the semi against Toulon... Go Brocky!!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I thought you were talking about Morne Steyn?

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Apprentice
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    Steyn is a better drop goal kicker than Brock James, but Sorry Zim, Steyn has nothing to do with this thread or how good a kick it was that Brock pulled off in the semi against Toulon... Go Brocky!!
    Done.

Brock James, with ASM squad, is France Top14 Champion !!!!

ASM has a long long long history of finals lost. the last three were a nightmare. Yesterday Brock James was ONE of the 3 or 4 players who were "decisif" on our side. All the players would die for the victory, but some would die more than one time and James was one of them.
    I'm Proud that HE is happy and Champion with us. ASM will be 100 yrs old next year (founded in 1911). James has definitely a seat, if not the best, in our Hall of Fame. As Vern Cotter has too.

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    Happy for him! Brocky, and his "Old Collegians" club in South Australia (members there of) have always come across as real gentlemen.

Out of interest. how do you Frenchies rate him against Giteau?

vCash
    James is a perfect fly half for French rugby, but he would be pretty average in our set up i would think, maybe behind Barnes as 4th best #10. (but i only watch his games a few times a year and talk to others about it, so hopefully one of the French guru's proves me wrong)

Apprentice
    vCash
    As far as he is the best fly half we ever have had, I would not try to rate him against Giteau, not playing in the same context.
    at Montferrand (ASM) he has demonstrated almost perfection in kicks, ability to play multiple strategies, and an "enormous" passing left or right which matches perfectly with the "large-large" play of our team. He is a rather a poor defenser, although he made huge progess this year, but a fast runner, and able to score tries.

To be honest, for the sake of ASM, I prefer that Australia stay focused on Giteau ;-)

Player
    vCash
    In regard to both of those drop goals, they are very low percentage plays, and as a coach I would be extremely pissed off if my players were lining those up from that distance, unless there was absolutely no other option.
    Steyn has a habit of doing that when it is not needed, and is a real detriment to his game, as otherwise he is one of the best players going around. But if you are going to go for drop goals from 50m+ out, the number of times you score is going to be far outweighed by the possession you hand over. And Steyn has missed plenty. It looks good when he hits them, but he looks like a complete idiot when they are missed, and relieves a lot of pressure off of the defensive team.

Mind you he did hit those two drop goals near the end of the Aus Saffer game in 2007 I beleive that took SA from 4 points down to 2 points up bastard!

Oh, and if Brock James were to come back to Oz, I would hope there would be a spot available for him in Perth! He is a player that would fit in well to the Force play. A good kicker and a good pass, but not overly creative - he would gel well with JOC at 12.

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    I saw the game on French TV. James was man of the match in my view, but he missed three or four relatively easy shots at goal which Giteau would have sealed with his eyes closed.

I think French super rugby still has a way to go before it reaches SH super standard.

And French keyboards are a pain to use.

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fulvio sammut View Post
    I saw the game on French TV. James was man of the match in my view, but he missed three or four relatively easy shots at goal which Giteau would have sealed with his eyes closed.

I think French super rugby still has a way to go before it reaches SH super standard.

And French keyboards are a pain to use.
    The French team still one of the ebst in the world so the French Super Rugby cant be too bad... I would say nearly on par with s14

vCash
    the 4 or 5 cashed up french teams could match it with the top super14 teams. But the super14 is much better quality all round, we have 10-12 good quality teams, they only have 6 or 7.

Apprentice
    vCash

Champion, and Gentleman.

Brock James has been gentleman rugby player for 4 years with us. Now he is Champion. Know what ? he is still a Gentleman !
    I'm fan of ASM Clermont for years and years. Brock is, by far, the best gift that Australia has ever given to France. We don't have any plan to give him you back. Hope he will sign again after 2012.
    It's a true love story between Brock and ASM fans.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast