Thread: Cohen out but not down

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Cohen out but not down

Cohen out but not down

16/01/2008 7:38:41 AM
    PA Sport

World Cup-winning winger Ben Cohen backs himself to make a successful return to the England squad after being snubbed for this year's Six Nations Championship.

The 29-year-old, who has won 57 caps for England, admitted he 'didn't really give it a thought' when finding out he had not been included in Brian Ashton's 32-man party for the forthcoming tournament.

Having played just a handful of matches for Brive, the French Top 14 club he joined in December, Cohen knows he has to put his international prospects on the backburner while he regains his match fitness.

But the former Northampton Saints player, whose 31 tries put him joint second in his country's all-time try-scoring list, is not discounting a return at Test level.

"I wouldn't have picked me, so I am not surprised Brian hasn't," Cohen said.

"I didn't even know the squad was being named, to be honest. It was hardly a shock I wasn't in it, and I didn't really give it a thought.

"I have played only 20 minutes for the Barbarians (against South Africa) and a couple of games here in France. I'm also playing out of position at centre, which I don't mind at all, even though it's not my best position.

"I'm getting back my match fitness, never mind being ready for internationals. I need games under my belt.

"I am not that disappointed. Obviously you always want to be in the squad and I'd like to be involved in the Six Nations, but I've still got a few years left in me yet.

"I'm only 29 so I'm not too concerned. I'm sure if I get back to my level, I'll be back in there."

Cohen, who revealed he had not been contacted by Ashton since moving to France, is down the pecking order of England wingers.

The 2007 World Cup stars Mark Cueto and Paul Sackey have been joined in the squad by David Strettle and Lesley Vainikolo, who has made an explosive impact on the 15-man game this season following his cross-code switch from Bradford Bulls to Gloucester.

"I haven't seen much of him with being over here, but I know he's scoring tries," Cohen said of Vainikolo, a Tongan who has played rugby league for the Kiwis.

"And I know Gloucester are doing well. If both you and your team are playing well, you've got a great chance of getting in (the England squad).

"I always found it a bit strange (foreign-born players featuring for England) but if they are the rules, there is no problem.

"You have to go with them, there's no point getting political about it."

Cohen formed a back-three partnership with Jason Robinson and Josh Lewsey in England's World Cup-winning campaign in 2003.

None of the trio feature in the latest squad, Robinson having retired and Lewsey dropped by Ashton.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Is this news?

CHEERLEADERS ROCK!!!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Current affairs at least...

"Bloody oath we did!"