Thread: Mortlock unlikely to join exodus

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Mortlock unlikely to join exodus

If he's around and fit through to 2011 then I think...hmmm, yeah good.
    If it turns out he leaves after only a couple of seasons then I fear he may have become part of the problem, not part of the solution.

Mortlock unlikely to join exodus

By Wayne Smith
    January 10, 2008

AUSTRALIA'S Rugby World Cup captain, Stirling Mortlock, has given his clearest indication yet that he intends to remain in the country, all but ruling out the option of heading overseas for at least the next two seasons.

Mortlock, still three months from completing his recovery from a shoulder reconstruction, will meet with ACT Rugby Union chief executive Andrew Fagan this week to discuss his plans.

While Mortlock, 30, still intends to test his market value overseas, all the indications are that he has no intention of joining a northern hemisphere club.

"My plan is to, hopefully, be a massive part of the new generation coming through," Mortlock said.

Asked whether he was aiming to play at the 2011 Rugby World Cup in New Zealand, he replied: "At this stage, it's more about the next two or three years and being heavily involved in that. I believe I have a number of years left in the game at the top level and I want to commit to that, if everything goes well."

His comments will hearten Fagan, who is desperate not to lose another veteran after farewelling George Gregan, Steve Larkham and Jeremy Paul last season.

"We'd be keen for Stirling to continue in the leadership role that he has filled for the last couple of years, on and off the field," Fagan said.

Of necessity, Mortlock will forfeit the Brumbies captaincy, at least for the start of the Super 14 campaign, with George Smith to fill the role.

Mortlock remains the leading candidate to head the Wallabies under coach Robbie Deans this season, notwithstanding Australia's painfully early exit from the Rugby World Cup.

Mortlock said he had not spoken to Deans since the New Zealander was named last month as John Connolly's successor, but indirectly had received indications from ARU officials that the new coach regarded him highly.

"I'd love nothing more than to lead the national side for the next period of time but there are a lot of things I have to tick off before that," he said.

"But in June (when Australia will play its first internationals under Deans), that would be my goal."

The first meeting between captain and coach will take place in Sydney next month, when Deans brings the Crusaders across the Tasman for a pre-Super 14 trial match.

Mortlock is keen to hear what plans his new boss has for reigniting the Test side.

"Rugby is cyclical," Mortlock said. "At the moment, it's all about having ascendancy up front and an accurate kicking game but, hopefully, a new cycle is on the way that will see rugby become a high-skill attacking game.

"Under Robbie, the Crusaders have become a quality outfit and highly skilled. That translates well to us, as does the fact that they have been quite innovative.

"I'm sure Robbie has his ideas about implementing change in the Australia side, according to the cattle at his disposal."

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    mmmm yeah maybe, but he IS far and away the best outside center in the country, and that makes two years of tutoring younger talent valuable. I guess the important distinction is whether the coach expects him to stay till 11. if that's the case then he'll be used very differently to if he's just staying two years.

C'mon the

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    mmmm yeah maybe, but he IS far and away the best outside center in the country, and that makes two years of tutoring younger talent valuable. I guess the important distinction is whether the coach expects him to stay till 11. if that's the case then he'll be used very differently to if he's just staying two years.
    I would say he is far and away the best outside centre in the world. The only person who comes close is Brian O'Driscoll and he never lives up to the hype.

That said I think it's great Mortlock's staying and who cares how long. The longer he stays the longer he can impart his experience and skills on said next generation and soften the transition period for when he leaves. It'd do the Wallabies a fair bit of harm (both on field and with fans/sponsors etc) to lose too many icons of the game at one point in time. Plus it means we don't have to read one of those bloody annoying speeches about how they are moving overseas to secure their future for their 'young' family and how they will be poor and destitute in Australia. Despite the fact that the top line players who do leave are paid remarkably well by any standards and moving to another country like France or Japan can't in any way be good for a young child who a) can't speak the language (probably) and b) would be leaving all of their friends and everything they no.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Veteran Bookie
    Contributor
    vCash
    James you nailed it. Mortlock aint short of the readies and is a class act. Always has been and a man who gives 110%. 2011 is a long way away especially for a player who seems to cop a unfair amount of injury.

the punters friend..... stick with me and you will be wearing

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    I have always loved him and Giteau as a pair. The zippy little leopard with the raging rhinocerous.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.