Thread: Waratahs-Crusaders, Hottest ticket in town.

vCash

Waratahs-Crusaders, Hottest ticket in town.

The Rotomahana Challenge – The Hottest Ticket in Town

Attracting a crowd .. the Rotomahana Challenge
    Friday, February 03, 2006
    NSWRU Media Unit

Sydney Rugby fans have sounded a ringing endorsement for Saturday night's Rotomahana Challenge match between the HSBC Waratahs and Crusaders at Aussie Stadium.

Almost 17,000 tickets have been pre-sold, with thousands more certain to be snapped up in the lead up to kick-off.

"The response has been truly outstanding," NSWRU chief executive Fraser Neill said.

"We held high hopes that Rugby fans would react positively to the Rotomahana Challenge concept, and they've certainly proven us to be correct.

"What better way to kick off the football season in Sydney than with a clash between 2005's two best teams?"

The match is already on course for being the best attended preseason game of 2006 and with ticket sales progressing ahead of schedule, hopes are high for a bumper crowd.

"Improved weather should allow us to reach a crowd number that a match of this stature deserves," Neill added.

The 2006 Rotomahana Challenge, named in honour of the SS Rotomahana which took the first touring Waratahs to New Zealand in August 1882, is the first of its kind between the two Super 14 outfits.

The Challenge will be hosted in Sydney on the final weekend before the start of the Super 14 tournament in each of the next five seasons.

It's hoped the fixture will become a permanent event.

"This match is far more than just a trial," HSBC Waratahs head coach Ewen McKenzie said.

"While there are no competition points on offer, it allows the opportunity to try a few more options while at the same time giving home fans the chance to get out and show their support.

"We're not back in Sydney until week four of the competition so it's all important for the players to get a home crowd behind them early."

Both teams have named impressive sides for the clash, with at total of 26 internationals - 13 in each team - to show their wares.

"Make no mistake, this is no trial run," Neill said.

"From our point of view, the season starts now."

Tickets for the Rotomahana Challenge match are still available through www.ticketek.com.au.

A limited number of tickets will also be available at the gate prior to kick off, which is set down for 7.40pm Saturday.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Considering this is pre-season and our first pre-season game at home (as in Aussie Stadium) that's a bloody good crowd.

I'm glad people are turning out, because the Tahs first 3 games are on the road.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Do you get any sense that the crowds we are talking about over here are having any effect over your side Sage?
    Must be a bit of wake up to some that we can get 17k + to a scratch match (even given first season reasons)?
    Any update on Tahs membership numbers?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs
    Do you get any sense that the crowds we are talking about over here are having any effect over your side Sage?
    Must be a bit of wake up to some that we can get 17k + to a scratch match (even given first season reasons)?
    Any update on Tahs membership numbers?
    Yes and no... and trust me I'm not trying to start a s**t fight here.

You'd have to expect that the very first home game for the Force was going to attract a huge crowd. But you have to keep in mind that this is technically our first home game of the season also. Waratahs fans have had to endure more than most and we still turn out in droves. The true test will be if the fans keep turning out if the Force do as badly as most first year sporting franchises do. I certainly think they will based on what I've seen and heard.

I do believe that the hysteria surrounding the number of Force memberships has stirred not only interest in NSWRU pushing for more members but the other provinces as well.

Not sure on the exact number (according to their site, memberships are still available), but I'm pretty sure it's 16,???... Possibly into the 17's but I doubt it.