Pumas prop cites lack of progress

9/01/2008 6:03:42 AM
PA Sport

Argentinean prop Rodrigo Roncero believes the country's rugby governing body has not been proactive in helping the Pumas develop as a world force.

The 30-year-old is worried the Union Argentina de Rugby (UAR) will let the game stagnate and not build on the success of its third-placed finish at the 2007 Rugby World Cup.

The Stade Francais prop wants the UAR to make the Argentinian league more professional and help the Pumas enter an annual international tournament.

"I truly expected things to happen quicker," Roncero told RUGBY FUN.

"Up to now, we haven't achieved anything and things are getting colder and colder.

"We need to be involved in competitions more often and not to just play a World Cup every four years.

"2007 was by far the best sporting year I have had but at the same time it's a challenge to be able to continue it."

Pumas skipper Agustin Pichot has decided to call time on his international career and concentrate on his domestic performances in the French league.

But Roncero admitted he is not thinking about becoming the new national team captain and is focused on the challenges of the next 12 months.

"This (the captaincy) is not an idea I have in my mind," Roncero added.

"I have no doubts the next captain should be Felipe Contepomi.

"The past is a nice story but you must always go forward and look to achieve more in the future.

"I want to remember the past every day but life and rugby both go on."