Thread: Du Preez named Bulls skipper

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Du Preez named Bulls skipper

Without checking their playing list, I would think this to be a pretty good selection?
    Shame Victor wouldn't see fit to stand down as the Captain for the season and give Fourie the chance to play it out.

Du Preez named Bulls skipper

4/01/2008 7:49:02 AM
    PA Sport

The Bulls' World Cup-winning halfback Fourie du Preez is named as the team's captain for this season's Super 14 series starting next month.

Du Preez, who was the South African Player of the Year in 2006, made his debut for the Bulls back in 2001 and has been playing Super Rugby since 2003.

He captained the Super 14 franchise in the absence of Victor Matfield in the first three matches of the 2006 competition and was the Bulls' skipper against the Crusaders in 2007.

Du Preez was the vice-captain during last year's triumphant Super 14 campaign and played a massive role in the Boks set-up during the World Cup.

He believes the Bulls' first goal is to maintain the high standards that made them
    successful during the last couple of years and to further their legacy in the future.

"We lost quite a number of senior players and with the new guys coming in as well as a new coach, our aim should be to build on what we have accomplished in the past," said Du Preez.

"For me personally it was a huge honour to play under Victor Matfield. We had a very good relationship and I think we complimented each other.

"I also learned a lot from playing under Anton Leonard."

Coach Frans Ludeke rates Du Preez as one of the most senior players in the Bulls' camp and is fully confident in the busy halfback's abilities.

"Fourie always leads by example, he is a master tactician as well as a wonderful rugby player and I know he can do the job," he said.

Ludeke appointed flanker Wikus van Heerden as vice-captain.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Not easy being a half back and a captain especially for an attacking scrummie like du Preez..might slow him down which would not be a good thing.

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KenyaQuin View Post
    Not easy being a half back and a captain especially for an attacking scrummie like du Preez..might slow him down which would not be a good thing.
    George Gregan

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Touche

C'mon the

vCash
    TIF, IMHO Gregan was a far better attacking player under Eales than as captain.

In my personal experience as both scrummie and captain I believe making him the captain would inevitably stifle his more natural opportunistic instincts, with him instead going for the more sensible and safe options. In Gregan's case, as a simple example, with the ref playing advantage after an infringement, how many times did we see him simply kick the ball away or even not pick the ball up so as to get the penalty?

The better captains on record are predominantly forwards for good reason. Fourie may be a standout but I don't like his chances.

Last edited by KenyaQuin; 04-01-08 at 11:16.