Thread: Leroy goes large for summit return

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Leroy goes large for summit return

Leroy goes large for summit return

December 30, 2007

ATTENTION Super 14 rivals. Leroy Houston is about to cause some serious problems.

The 21-year-old Reds recruit is primed to stamp his authority on the Super 14 this season after an intensive off-season training regime that has added 13kg to his frame in 24 weeks.

Tipping the scales at 104kg when he arrived in Queensland in June, Houston has bulked up to an imposing 117kg on the back of protein drinks, five meals a day and his most serious gym sessions in a year.

Plucked from obscurity to tour Europe with the Wallabies in 2005, the damaging forward is clearly leaving nothing in the tank in his quest to return to the rugby summit.

"I've bulked up quite a bit. I've really been working hard in the gym and on my diet: I'm feeling as strong as ever," Houston said.

"I felt I needed to put on some weight to be competitive in the Super 14 because there's some big boys going around.

"I hadn't done weights for about a year and as soon as I started doing weights I started growing.

"I was struggling to benchpress 80kg and now I'm doing 130kg, so I'm a lot stronger.

"I was happy with my form in the ARC so I can't wait for the start of the Super 14. It's a big year for me. I'd love to make the Wallabies this year but that might be a big ask.

"Down the track it's something I'd definitely want to achieve."

Reds coach Phil Mooney said the former Waratah was keen to fire after his shock decision to quit the code in 2006, citing an inability to handle the demands of professional rugby.

"Leroy will be a real strike weapon for us," Mooney said.

"I've always had a high regard for his ability, and he's a really enthusiastic sort of bloke.

"He's worked super-hard in the gym in the pre-season, so I'm pretty excited about what he can do for us this year."

Houston, who is eyeing two positions, says he has no plans to walk out on the game again.

"I'm looking at the No6 (blindside flanker) or No8 spots but coming off the bench is more likely at this stage," he said.

"But that's fine by me, I know I've got a long way to go.

"I'm way more mature. The big thing is, I'm hungry for it now. I've been out into the real world working real jobs and it's made me appreciate how good playing professional rugby can be.

"I won't be quitting again mate, I've learned a lot, I'm determined to do well this time."

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Interesting, I'd think that more forwards would be trimming down with the ELVs in play, but then 117 is probably not too big....

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the