Thread: Super 14, 2008- Cheetahs

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash

Super 14, 2008- Cheetahs

Form from 2007
    The Cheetahs are ever the enigma in the Super 14. They aren't much to look at on paper but always seems to score a few wins including one or two major scalps. Like Otago, few players (locals excluded) want to live in the Free State as it is a bit of a rural backwater and it seems to be a constant battle for the Cheetahs to keep their players or even attract any young talent. Now ex-coach Rassie Erasmus has done an excellent job so far of playing to the Cheetahs strengths and making simple and uncomplicated game plans. The team has also been buoyed by recent Currie Cup successes clinching the trophy 3 times in the last few years. How well will the Cheetahs do this season with new coach Naka Drotske? Its hard to say. I'd wager they'll be spirited but sadly I think the Cheetahs are destined for a double figures finish. Drotske will make sure the team has a go at it though and has learnt a lot of tricks from his predecessor.

Comings and Goings
    The Cheetahs say goodbye to half a dozen players coming into 2008 and a few of these with a long history in the Free State. Front row behemoths Os du Randt and Ollie le Roux have played their last games and their experience and sheer mass will be hard to replace. Also leaving the front row to join the Sharks is Jannie 'The Juggernaut' du Plessis. It goes without saying that the loss of this trio will be significantly detrimental to the Cheetahs 2008 campaign.

In the back divisions Willem de Waal and Ronnie Cooke have both joined French clubs for 2008. De Waal has spent a long time playing for the Cheetahs and his excellent kickings has seen him make many point scoring records in the Currie Cup.

Five new players have been listed in the 2008 Cheetahs squad. They are largely unproven in the world of Super Rugby.

Keep an eye on
    Falie Oelschig has been touted as a future star scrum-half. He will be hard pressed to dethrone Fourie du Preez but will push hard to make the Springbok squad. If the major players in the back row Juan Smith and Kabamba Floors get clean ball for Oelschig he'll be certain to have a good season. With de Waal leaving the combination of Oelschig and Meyer Bosman will be crucial to the Cheetahs success.

The Strausses will again engage in the tussle for the number 2 jersey which should be entertaining. Adriaan and Richardt are both young and promising players in an area that prides itself on its fatties. The cousins will be looking at the 2 and 16 jerseys and hoping for the lesser of the two numbers. Depending on the stance the SARU takes on players such as John Smit and Gary Botha playing for the Springboks, one of the pair may even make for national honours.

Prospectus for 2008
    Like I have said earlier, I don't really fancy the Cheetahs chances. Ten to twenty years ago when rugby was a less commercial and structured game they would have been a force to be reckoned with but now I think the Cheetahs days are numbered. The future for the Super 14 is the Pacific Islanders, Japan and Argentina (in one form or another) and sides like the Cheetahs will end up having to make way for these new competitors. I know it sounds harsh. As I also said earlier they'll play a few great games and Drotske knows his players and knows his team and will bring the best out of them. I expect a couple of wins but not enough to prevent them earning the wooden spoon. 14th.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    IMHO the issues that beleaguer the Cheetahs stem more from the shabby treatment they ALWAYS seem to get from SARU. Why would a player EVER look at playing for them when you can't be sure whether you'd have a S14 contract next year. They've done well with what they've been able to keep (or manufacture) and seem to have magic hands when it comes to generating front rowers.

I think the loss of three world class props will not affect them as much as everyone is expecting, but it will affect them enough to starve their team of possession. ensuring a finish about 11 (remembering my logjam at 10 and I'm saving 12 for the Tahs and 14 for the Reds)

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the