Thread: 'Commitment' wins Photo of the Year award

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

'Commitment' wins Photo of the Year award

(IRB.COM) Saturday 1 December 2007

for Andrew Orchard

A photograph taken by Andrew Orchard has been unveiled as the IRB/Emirates Airline Rugby Photograph of the Year 2007. The announcement was made by the International Rugby Board at the launch of the IRB World Rugby Yearbook at the Emirates Airline Dubai Sevens today.

The winning shot, titled ‘Commitment’ depicts a forlorn Rachel Poolman, the Wales fly half, shielding herself from the torrential December rain during her side’s 31-7 victory over Italy at Glamorgan Wanderers RFC in Cardiff, Wales in December 2006.

“Andrew’s image is particularly striking in that it encapsulates the true spirit of the Game. The fact that it was taken at night and in the pouring rain certainly adds to the atmosphere of the occasion where the commitment of the two teams really comes to the fore. This is an image that all who have played the Game at any level can relate to and is a worthy recipient of the IRB/Emirates Rugby Photograph of the Year award,” said International Rugby Board Chairman, Dr Syd Millar.

More than 100 entries were submitted from nine different countries. The Award panel, chaired by IRB World Rugby Yearbook editor Paul Morgan, was asked to select their top ten images best depicting the ‘Spirit of Rugby’. From this top 10 was selected and then whittled down to a top six. The top three were then selected, before the panel finally confirmed Andrew Orchard’s picture as the winner.

“Following the strong response to the inaugural competition last year, hopes were high that the IRB/Emirates Airline Rugby Photograph of the Year 2008 competition would raise the bar again. The standard of entry was once again extremely high, underlining the increasing profile of the competition,” said panel Chairman Paul Morgan.

“The game was played under floodlights at Glamorgan Wanderers RFC which can be a little dark, so when it started raining I knew that there was a chance of shooting something a bit different. I think the rain was at its worst when I took the shot. In the background the girls are preparing for a scrum and Rachel just turned her back for a few seconds, I think she was trying to shield herself from the rain. To be honest she looks like she wants to be somewhere else, and that is pretty much how I felt at the time too,” said winning photographer Andrew Orchard.

Andrew’s prize was an all inclusive trip for two to this weekend’s Emirates Airline Dubai Sevens, the opening Tournament of the record-breaking IRB Sevens World Series, courtesy of Emirates Airline.

The winning photograph, the five runners-up and a brief interview with Andrew Orchard are featured within the IRB World Rugby Yearbook 2008 which is in book stores now. The Yearbook can also be ordered directly through the publisher: Vision Sports Publishing (Vision Sports Publishing (VSP)).

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Great pic, i would want to be somewhere else too ...although playing in the rain can be fun!

vCash
    I have memories of similar conditions, although i am guessing it would've been quite a lot more chilly in Wales than Drummoyne in Sydney...And i can also say playing in the snow is not fun as well...
    That is a pretty good pic though...

Proudly bought to you by a brewery somewhere....

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Assuming photos are the same as TV, if you can see any rain it is actually quite heavy.
    In this case it must have been absolutely persisting down!
    I took a similar one this year with my mobile of the Scotch playing fields, I'll see if I can track it down again.
    It was of the 1st XVIII match as the Rugby was between matches with an injured player on the pitch.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.