Dr Millar receives Legion d'honneur

(IRB.COM) Thursday 13 December 2007

IRB Chairman Dr Syd Millar has received the Legion d’honneur at a ceremony in his home town of Ballymena, Northern Ireland.

The prestigious accolade is the highest that can be bestowed by France and is awarded at the request of the President of the French Republic.

Indeed President Niciolas Sarkozi personally insisted that Dr Millar should receive the Legion d’honneur for his outstanding contribution to Rugby, including the delivery of Rugby World Cup 2007, the most successful RWC Tournament to date.

Over 200 of Dr Millar’s close friends, family, former team mates and colleagues were in attendance at the ceremony at Ballymena RFC’s Eaton Park ground, where Dr Millar spent so much of his time as a player.

"It is a huge honour to be given such a prestigious award and it very much appreciated. It means a lot to me but I think it is also recognition of Rugby Football. It's great that my family and friends are all part of it,” said Dr Millar.

The decoration was presented by Bernard Lapasset who will succeed Dr Millar as Chairman of the IRB on January 1. Lapasset, who has served alongside Dr Millar on the IRB Council, paid a glowing tribute to his friend.

“As a player Dr Millar was one of the very best. A prop forward capable of playing on both sides of the scrum, he played for his beloved Ballymena club from which he represented Ulster, Ireland, the British and Irish Lions and the Barbarians,” said Lapasset.

“Dedicated in his love for the Game and its core principles, he has always been determined to ensure that the IRB does what is best for the Game. His contribution and his involvement in the Rugby world will be remembered as an important period in the history of Rugby.”

“Dr Millar’s sizeable legacy can be chronicled through his leadership of many important initiatives such as the renewal of the IRB’s global strategic plan and a bold strategic investment programme that underpins the development of the Game worldwide,” added Lapasset.