Davies faces tough choice

By Steve Ricketts
December 22, 2007

CHRIS Latham's decision to take the big money in English rugby union could sway Brisbane Broncos speedster Rodney Davies to return to the 15-man code in 2009.
Davies, a former Australian Schoolboys union star, remains torn between union and league, and he faces a difficult choice when his second 12-month NRL deal with the Broncos expires at the end of next season.

The 18-year-old said that he preferred to play full-back in union but he expected to play wing in league, especially as the Broncos boasted Australia full-back Karmichael Hunt on their roster.

Davies toured New Zealand and Fiji with the 2006 Australian Schoolboys, and the Queensland Rugby Union was shattered to lose him to league - the game he grew up with in Rockhampton.

"It was a good experience and I enjoyed the tour and got a feel for the union rep stuff, but I'm happy here," said Davies, who started playing union as a boarder at Ipswich Grammar.

"I've only ever signed 12-month contracts and I know there is interest from the Reds. I see Chris Latham is going to England so that could be a possibility, but I'm liking it here and I'm liking my league.

"But you never know. I wouldn't rule out playing union, that's for sure. I enjoyed union. I'm not going to lie there. I like both games.

"In union, I really like playing full-back. That's where I played my last full season and that's where I'd like to play if I ever went back.

"Maybe I could play full-back in league. I ended last season there in the Queensland Cup and really enjoyed it."

Two of Davies's schoolboy teammates, Kurtley Beale and Quade Cooper, are playing Super 14 for New South Wales and the Reds respectively, and Jared Waera-Hargreaves has signed with NRL grand finalist Manly after a season with the Waratahs.

Latham will play Super 14 for the Reds next year before joining English club Worcester at the end of the season.

Davies has been earmarked to make his first-grade debut with the Broncos in 2008, but competition for wing spots will be intense.

Darius Boyd, Steve Michaels, St George Illawarra signing Tom Hewitt and feeder team Aspley's 2007 best back, Denan Kemp, are among the contenders.

"There are a lot of boys in front of me at the moment and I don't want to get too far ahead of myself," Davies said.

"I just want to play my best and I'll probably start off in Q Cup. I'm not expecting too much first up."