Schifcofske wings it with Latham

Peter Fitzgerald | December 24, 2007 - 5:07PM

Former Canberra Raiders captain Clinton Schifcofske claims he's learned more in the past six weeks training alongside Chris Latham than he did the entire 2007 Super 14 campaign.

Latham, the incumbent Wallabies fullback, missed all of Schifcofske's debut season with the Reds following a training mishap earlier in the year.

Schifcofske was hoping to learn the rugby trade off Latham after he left the Raiders and rugby league to test himself in the rival code.

Instead, he had to use other methods and while satisfied with his debut season, Schifcofske had no doubt he would be a better player in 2008 following a pre-season with Latham.

"Latho has been excellent to have around the past few weeks, it's been really beneficial for someone like me," the 32-year-old said. "He's been guiding me around, giving me lots of advice, teaching me a lot of things and just generally been a great help."

Just seeing him at training and taking in his enthusiasm you can tell he's the sort of bloke you want to play with."

Schifcofske played all of 2007 at fullback for the Reds in Latham's absence, but will revert to the wing in 2008.

The former Queensland State of Origin representative has enjoyed his time training on the wing for the past eight weeks of pre-season and was looking forward to settling into the new role next year.

"I've found there's actually a bit more freedom out on the wing anyway," Schifcofske said. "Obviously kicking is such a massive part of being a 15, which is why Latho is so good there, so to get a bit of a break out on the wing and then really get involved with the actual play will be great."

While relegated to the wing this season to make room for Latham at fullback, Schifcofske could well return to his preferred position in 2009 - if he is still at the Reds.

Latham has announced that next season will be his last in Australia before heading to English club Worcester to finish his career. His absence will vacate Queensland's fullback role, of which Schifcofske could fill.

Schifcofske signed a three-year deal with the Reds, of which the third year (2009) is optional.

"I'm loving it up here and love playing rugby but I can't predict the future.

"I'll play out this year and then make some decisions after that but if I'm still playing in 2009 and the fullback position is up for grabs, I'd definitely be putting my hand up for it."

Canberra Times