Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Super 14, 2008- The Bulls

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash

Super 14, 2008- The Bulls

Form from 2007
    The Bulls had a bit of a hard start to this years SSuper 14 but ultimately came through it to become South Africa's first Super champions. Having made the finals for the last 3 years it was this one that they went all the way. With many Bulls players in the World Cup winning squad, the Bulls couldn't be in much better form. On the domestic front the Bulls were knocked out of the Currie Cup semi-finals by their arch-rivals the Cheetahs to prevent Pretoria the treble that was on offer this year. The big question is can they do it again next year?

Comings and Goings
    2008 sees the devastating loss of both the Bulls 2007 captain and vice captain. Hooker Gary Botha and lock Victor Matfield are both off to Europe and formed the premier line-out pairing in the Super 14. The loss of a key weapon in their line-out is added to a loss of leadership and experience that won't easily be replaced. Their absence from the Bulls makes the tight five far less intimidating. Young lock Wouter Moore comes in to the squad to replace Matfield.

The only notable backs depature is that of Johann Roets. Roets has been around South African rugby for a long time and has finally decided to go out on a win. As the Bulls have dominated age grade rugby in South Africa there are plenty of talented options available as a replacement. The Bulls have three new recruits capable of playing fullback.

Keep an eye on
    After leaving the rugby radar altogether in 2007 a lot of people will be disappointed if they don't see big things from Chiliboy Ralepelle. As well as having a name that makes him sound like a super heroes' sidekick, Chiliboy was the first black player to captain the Springboks (admittedly in an uncapped test). Injury saw him take no part in top level rugby this year but he will be back and will perhaps live up to all the hype that surrounded him in 2006. At 22 he is young and dynamic and should turn some heads. I look forward to seeing a Ralepelle v Faingaa show down should both players be fit when the Bulls and Brumbies play off.

It isn't often I would say a Springbok back is very entertaining to watch but I think most people would make an exception for Fourie du Preez. For the last two or three years du Preez has been the best half-back in the world and has been magical behind the Springboks and Bulls monster packs. It wouldn't suprise me to see him as captain of the Bulls with Matfield and Botha gone. You can be guaranteed that, fit and healthy, Fourie du Preez will win games for the Bulls.

Prospectus for 2008
    I don't think many people expected the Bulls to win it in 2007. I don't think many people expect them to make the finals next year either. While only two players, Matfield and Botha's departure takes the shine off the squad. A team like the Bulls who have a big pack and unimaginative backs always need a highly competitive set piece in order to win games. Pressure leads to penalties and tries. But a key element of the Bulls success over the last three years has been a line-out and kicking game that keeps the pressure on by keeping their opponents pinned in their half. With the Bulls there seems to be a bit of a habit that when they crack they crack wide open. While they still have an excellent backrow the rest of the squad just isn't imposing enough and with a few key injuries they are likely to keep Steenkamp, du Preez and Spies out of the opening rounds they aren't likely to start well. I can't see them doing much better than 8th.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Matfield is their glue! They'll suffer for years without hum. the springboks can replace him with people who aren't far off the pace, but they all play for other provinces. I think 8th is a bit tough, they could make 4th if things line up nicely like they did this year, but they won't win a semi, and could hit seventh.

C'mon the

vCash
    the loss of one player would normally not make that much difference but matfield is pure class and will be sorely missed, mid table finish this year for the bulls...

vCash
    Your right slomo, not normally, but the Bulls have structured their entire game plan around Matfield's skill set and IMHO no-one in the world is as good at what he does. I guess it makes a certain amount of sense that they're one-dimensional, but it doesn't help for succession planning.

C'mon the

vCash
    And the Tahs have their attack coach, so they are basically fugged. Tahs champs 2008 and 2009.

Laura Force Addict v Chook scrabble-off on Facebook: laura & Force Addict 0 | chook 9

Gigsa made me do it

"He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty." – Lao Tzu

vCash
    Well ARC champs anyway if you listen to the rumours about all possible competition being axed due to 'financial reasons'

C'mon the

Apprentice
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Well ARC champs anyway if you listen to the rumours about all possible competition being axed due to 'financial reasons'
    You're full of it!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog View Post
    You're full of it!
    Glad to see you back Bulldog, your witty repartee is the highlight of the site.

When Chook's not around I can always count on you for challenging verbal sparring!

C'mon the

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Seems Matfield will be released from Toulon to play the games from the 4th or 5th week. Good news for them.

vCash
    will it be too little too late though.. 5 games is enought to make things fall apart at the seams... if they lose 5 weeks on the trot, even superman matfield will make little diff.

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Our man Bryan is still there though....plenty of tries again this year for sure!

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    That's assuming Bryan can get his hands on the ball. Don't forget Bulls rugby has pretty much been kick it out, win the lineout give it to the backs. If the lineout wins don't come, the whole structure has to change.

They could be starting from a similar place the Force was in early 2007. Lots of potential, but short on cohesion.

C'mon the

Veteran Bookie
    Contributor
    vCash
    Bulls are 10 man rugby but play it well. When they decide to throw it wide our man Bryan does the rest, Matfield and Botha are world class and are pretty big boots to fill. Still like their chances, 5th for me.

the punters friend..... stick with me and you will be wearing

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Matfield rushing back to Bulls
    Duncan Johnstone | December 18, 2007 - 11:18AM

Tana Umaga has done the New Zealand Super 14 cause no favours by releasing Victor Matfield early from his Toulon stint so that he can help the Bulls defend their cherished title.

Matfield, who cemented his standing as the best lock in the game at the recent World Cup, was set to join the ambitious French club on a six-month deal in January that would have ruled him out of the Super 14 and possibly placed his test career in jeopardy.

But now after a deal between Toulon, where Umaga is the coach, and the Bulls Matfield will play in France for just two months.

That means he will miss just the opening four rounds of the Super 14 when the Bulls play in South Africa.

The Bulls, who finally ended the republic's Super rugby title drought this year, are delighted to have held on to Matfield in what seems to be an amicable compromise.

Toulon, who currently lead the French second division table with six consecutive wins, are desperate to gain promotion and have nine crucial matches through January and February.

So they will have Matfield for that stint where he will join a star-studded side that includes George Gregan, Andrew Mehrtens, Anton Oliver and Lawrence Sephaka.

But importantly Matfield will be back for the business end of the Super 14 which is a real boost for the Bulls who will be one of the favourites.

With a question mark remaining over the test futures of foreign-based Springboks, Matfield's inclusion in the Super 14 will keep him in the Boks frame.

He recently stated a desire to stick with the Springboks at least through to the 2009 tour of South Africa by the British and Irish Lions.

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    And of course, the Force don't get to play the Bulls until......Round 8 after he is not only back but will have had four matches to get back to full fitness and gel with his teammates

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast