Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Deans announced as Wallabies coach

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Deans announced as Wallabies coach

The Australian Rugby Union has announced that Robbie Deans will coach the Wallabies for the next four years.

Deans becomes the first foreigner to coach the national side.

The appoinment of Deans comes as no surprise, as he was the firm favourite after being overlooked for the All Blacks job. Deans will give up his coaching position at the Crusaders to step into Australia's national role.

The decision is likely to upset the Australian candidates; Ewen McKenzie, David Nucifora, Alan Jones, Laurie Fisher and John Muggleton. Apart from losing out to a New Zealander, the Australians have been through a testing experience which included lodging their applications before the cut-off deadline, facing extensive interviews and being put in a holding pattern while Deans's All Black fate was decided.

Dean's appointment is seen by many as a masterstroke, but there are also plenty of Wallabies supporters who feel the role should have been reserved for an Australian.

By WWOS staff
    11:00 AEST Fri Dec 14 2007

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Deans launches Wallabies' crusade

Story by Sportal for the ARU
    Friday, December 14, 2007 - 13:27 PM (AEST)

Robbie Deans Former All Black Robbie Deans has been appointed as the first non-Australian Wallabies' coach for the next four years.

The Canterbury Crusaders coach was widely expected to have been given the nod by the Australian Rugby Union after New Zealand Rugby officials opted to retain the services of incumbent All Blacks coach Graham Henry despite Deans putting his hand up for the position.

ARU Chairman Peter McGrath said that the NZRU's decision to go with Henry once more had given Australia a wonderful opportunity to acquire Dean's services.

"Robbie comes with a superb record and I am delighted to announce he will be joining the ARU," declared McGrath.

"The ARU Board presented the selection panel with a brief to find the most outstanding candidate."

"We as a Board consider this appointment satisfies that objective."

"The Australian public would expect nothing less from us and we see this as a new start for Australian rugby."

"In terms of our playing ranks, we are on the doorstep of generational change."

"We believe Robbie Deans is the man to move us into that new era."

"He has created history today by becoming the first non-Australian to coach the Wallabies."

"We trust there are further historic achievements awaiting him and the Wallabies over the next four years on the road to the 2011 World Cup."

ARU Deputy Chief Executive Matt Carroll said the ARU management team was looking forward to working with the new Wallabies coach.

"Robbie will have a major contribution to make to Australian Rugby," Carroll said.

"That will include a close connection with Super 14 coaches, community rugby and the ARU management team."

vCash
    The dream of Wallabies Caoches Deans and Mitchell holding "Billy" aloft in Auckland 2011 with Wallabies and Force Captain Matt Giteau in tow is fast becoming a reality!!

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash
    Good.

Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

vCash
    FanTAHstic!

Last edited by chook; 14-12-07 at 11:41.
    Laura Force Addict v Chook scrabble-off on Facebook: laura & Force Addict 0 | chook 9

Gigsa made me do it

"He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty." – Lao Tzu

vCash
    Well, he won't be selecting a bunch of Crusaders to play in the gold jersey will he?

C'mon the

vCash
    yeah lets hope its no longer a case for "wallatahs". Mabey he will be a little less impartial that way

<>

vCash
    He will also coach the Crusaders next year

Robbie Deans will continue to coach the Crusaders in next year's Super 14 despite taking up a four-year term as the Wallabies coach.

The New Zealand Rugby Union confirmed that Deans would stay on with the Crusaders for a ninth season in 2008.

He will move to Sydney take up up his Australian role once the Crusaders' season ends.

More

C'mon the

vCash

vCash
    ive agreed an outsider would be for the best. he should be good for australia. will pick on form not bias like previous coaches.

vCash
    happy days, what were the kiwi's thinking? their loss is certainly our gain, roll on RWC2011....

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash
    Your say: Deans gets Wallabies job
    Stuff.co.nz | Friday, 14 December 2007
    Your say: Deans gets Wallabies job - Have your say on Stuff.co.nz

Stuff readers have their say on Robbie Deans being appointed as new coach of the Australian rugby team.

RE: Deans named new Wallabies coach

I think it is great and now await the Wallabies cleaning up the All Blacks and Robbie showing the All Blacks Management that the 'Boys' Club' has just made the biggest mistake of their careers.
    Valerie Hore

Who can blame the guy - NZ's most ferocious and loyal rugby province, Canterbury, will become the next State of Australia now - the Crusaders will be defacto Aussie in S14 - NZRU just don't understand what they've done... The egos at the NZRU just don't get it. Deans is a live wire - you get what you deserve if you pee on a live wire... he will coach with a passion to beat the NZRU. We will hear: Robbie Robbie Robbie, Oi Oi Oi
    Chris Maguire

If New Zealand Rugby administrators didn't have their head buried in the sand, Deans could have had the job here. I am a disillusioned rugby fan here now. While I am at it I wish they would forget the Haka. It does not strike the fear into teams like it did years gone by and it is dated. If anything it motivates opposition more than it does the All Blacks. Don't worry how good the haka is performed, get out there and play good winning rugby.
    Ron Tomlinson

I fully support him and wish him the best of luck. I'm sure his results will silence all those critics both here and across the tasman. AUSSIES vs ALL BLACKS. May the best coach win.
    Moana

Allowing Deans to slip through our fingers to coach the enemy will haunt the NZRFU and all All Black fans fans in four years.
    Matt Porter

I am a expat living in Adelaide and I think it's a great move. I can support the Aussies now!
    Alec Ross

Good luck to Robbie, if any one can turn Australia he can. The Bledisloe/Tri-Nations will be interesting in the next few years.
    Scott Rait

New Zealand have made a big mistake, so what happens in 2 years when they realise Graham Henry is still use less, they cant have Robbie Deans then!
    Donna Tacon

Great appointment. Bring on the Bledisloe!
    Alastair Pratt

Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

vCash
    Impressed - decision most peps can live with etc..

When will he start - doesn't he have to finish his contract with the Crusaders/ move his family HERE etc.. surely this won't impact the Wallabies until after this years S14.

PS the little Kiwi boy over the road burst into tears - his family is from Canterbury - guess I won't be getting a XMAS card !

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    The dream of Wallabies Caoches Deans and Mitchell holding "Billy" aloft in Auckland 2011 with Wallabies and Force Captain Matt Giteau in tow is fast becoming a reality!!
    It'd be the first New Zealand hands to touch the trophy in a fair while...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Flamethrower View Post
    Your say: Deans gets Wallabies job

I am a expat living in Adelaide and I think it's a great move. I can support the Aussies now!
    Alec Ross
    Hehe i like this one...technically i can support NZ and AUS at the same time

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast