Thread: Henry re-appointed!

vCash

Henry re-appointed!

New Zealand reappoints Henry
    From staff reporters
    December 07, 2007 GRAHAM Henry has been reappointed as New Zealand coach, with the country's rugby union citing his "remarkable results" in the past four years for its decision.

Henry kept the job, even after the All Blacks recorded their worst result in Rugby World Cup history, a quarter-final loss to France, at the tournament earlier this year.

Henry, 61, who coached the All Blacks to 42 wins and six losses after being appointed four years ago, becomes the first man to hold the job in the year after a losing World Cup campaign.

The appointment leaves the door open for Crusaders coach Robbie Deans, who had been expected by many pundits to get the job, to be appointed as Australia coach.

Henry, who was appointed for a two-year term, said he was grateful to get another chance.

"We have been a strong and successful team over the last few years, but we were hugely disappointed we didn't bring the World Cup back for New Zealanders," he said.

"We have learnt lessons from this campaign and we now look forward to being able to build on those learnings and the experience we have."

The appointment was made after Henry, Deans, Hurricanes coach Colin Cooper and Chiefs coach Ian Foster were interviewed by the New Zealand union board.

Acting union chairman Mike Eagle said in a statement that the appointment followed a thorough process that reflected the importance of the position to New Zealand rugby.

"At the end of the process, the board concluded that Graham Henry was the best candidate for the position," he said.

"We are all disappointed not to have won the Rugby World Cup.

"In that regard, the NZRU Board accepts it was jointly responsible and accountable for the result and the planning that went into the campaign.

"We are committed to learning the key lessons which will be explored in the independent review announced earlier this week, led by Mike Heron and high performance expert Don Tricker."

Eagle said the decision was based on Henry's remarkable results over a four-year tenure.

"Graham's record, both on and off the field, is among the best in All Blacks rugby history," he said.

"He has set a very high standard in coaching, player management, and integration with the wider New Zealand rugby community."

Henry's All Blacks successfully defended the Bledisloe Cup four times, won the Tri-Nations three times, achieved a series sweep against the British and Irish Lions, and won a Grand Slam in 2005.

His teams were unbeaten at home and, until the quarter-final loss in Cardiff, unbeaten in Europe in four seasons

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,...-23217,00.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Congrats to Henry, blows the Aussie position right open...How quick will it take o'neil to recover from debilitating neck surgery now...

Proudly bought to you by a brewery somewhere....

vCash
    I suspect he will be well enough to offer Deans the position soon.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    It probably isn't that big of a surprise really, if you remove the politics of making a decision based on the RWC then he has had a pretty amazing record.
    If Eddie had achieved as much he would still be in charge of the Wallabies.
    And bringing the politics back in, if they dumped Henry then they should have also resigned too as they had agreed to his RWC plan.
    I think O'Neill may have just found the remedy to his "pain in the neck" in that announcement!
    While I think Deans is far and away the best candidate for the Wallabies anyway, to have him against Henry at the next WC is absolutely ideal.
    He should be appointed ASAP with an open four year contract and mandate to treat the Wallabies like a club.
    There has been quite a bit of anti Deans and anti non-Australian Wallaby Coach in recent media but I am yet to see any reason, including one eyed parochialism, that convinces me there is a better option.
    Time to step up and make the obvious appointment ARU!

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    The only issue I have is if he is still caoching the Crusaders as the ARU have indicated they would accept. Then it will depend on weather the Crusaders will keep him if we appoint him....

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I think that is only for 2008 isn't it?
    Nucifora is proposing the same thing for 2008 if he is appointed.
    I guess the Devil's Advocate on that is that our National Coach would be kept up to date with New Zealand developments and fringe players...

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.