Thread: Brumbies shakey before heading West

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Brumbies shakey before heading West

Possibly as many questions as answers following tonights Hurricanes Brumbies hitout.
    Still some of the big names to come back but they've only an Intra Club scratchy to go before Round 1 now.

From Fox Sports:

Hurricanes 40 Brumbies 7

THE Brumbies are still looking for their first pre-season victory after producing an error riddled performance in a loss to the Hurricanes in Masterton, New Zealand tonight.

The Hurricanes scored six tries to one against the Brumbies, who lost 21-5 to NSW in their opening trial last week.

Coach Laurie Fisher was philosophical rather than downcast by the early defeats, emphasising the Brumbies were traditionally not a good trial team.

"It was exactly what we needed, big strong tackling, good contests for possession, it gives us a good picture of what we need to do over the coming weeks," Fisher said.

The Brumbies have an intra-squad hitout next Thursday to iron out the kinks before their opening Super 14 game against competition newcomer Western Force.

Fisher ran all 25 of his players and gave some a run in multiple positions, including outside backs Curran and Ben Batger, prop Nic Henderson and lock and back rower Adam Wallace-Harrison.

He will prioritise the set pieces after untidy scrum work and a lineout which conceded at least ten of their own lineout throws, though they were without injured Wallaby hooker Jeremy Paul.

The visitors couldn't convert early possession into points as they missed the composure of injured Wallabies playmakers George Gregan, Stephen Larkham and inside centre Matt Giteau.

"In that halves area, we need some experience and direction there, we were just a little bit scatty today, trying to score off each possession," Fisher said.

"We made a lot of mistakes, we had a lot of territory in the first half a lot of scoring opportunities that we couldn't close out against a pretty committed defence.
    "In the first half I think we lost possession either through lineout getting tackled into touch or just poor catch pass 17 times within 30 metres of the attacking try line.

Wallabies centre Stirling Mortlock came off in the first quarter with an ankle injury.

"He probably could have kept on playing, but it didn't appear sensible at this point in time, it won't be an issue for him in two weeks time," Fisher said.

HURRICANES 40 (Hosea Gear 2, Jason Eaton, Lome Fa'atau, Jimmy Gopperth, Conrad Smith tries; Tamati Ellison 2 cons, Jimmy Gopperth 2 cons, David Holwell con)
    BRUMBIES 7 (Tim Curran try; Gene Fairbanks con)

AAP

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Apprentice
    vCash
    Sandbagging or testing!!?? Difficult to measure. Feel pretty confident that the "Force" are a chance in Perth but the "Brumbies" have some pretty handy and seasoned Internationals on their list. Hanging out for the 1st whistle!

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Trial matches form should never be considered, all we need to know is that the Brumbies are a tough team. and they will be tough to beat. I cant wait, BRING IT ON!

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

Veteran Contributor The EnForcer's Avatar
    vCash
    I agree, however the one thing the trial matches are showing is that we are going to be competitive. I'm not sure when I've been more excited.

vCash
    Just remember that the Brumbies lost all their trial games in 2004.. The year they pretty much decimated all.

They don't look too crash hot at the moment but trials don't mean an awful lot at the end of the day.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I think not being able to see them at all has really got me going more than if I had been to the scratch matches!
    Seen a few bits on tv news and that's it, look out on the 10th!!!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Big names back for Brumbies

Big names back for Brumbies

By David Beniuk
    January 31, 2006

BRUMBIES big guns George Gregan, Stephen Larkham and Clyde Rathbone will step out on Thursday for their first and only hit-out ahead of the side's Super 14 opener against Western Force.

The squad will split into two for an internal match, described by the club as a "full-contact opposed training session", but Wallabies Matt Giteau (knee) and Jeremy Paul (calf) are still recovering from injury and will be missing.

"It's more of a glorified training session than a trial match," Brumbies head coach Laurie Fisher said.

"It gives us a chance to work on a few plays and set up a few game scenarios to work on some of the things we have put in place during the pre-season."

The squad will play a 45-minute match in three 15-minute periods at Viking Park in Tuggeranong.

Lock Radike Samo will also take part in his first full-contact session during the match, while Giteau and Paul are hopeful of being fit for the Perth match on February 10.

"I'm still very positive about my chances of playing in the first game," Giteau said.

"But the medical staff has decided that rather than risking getting a bump on (the knee) this Thursday and setting myself back a week, I'm better off continuing with strength work to make sure it's 100 per cent for next week."

Paul, who strained his right calf at training last week, will be given until next week to prove his fitness for the first round of the inaugural Super 14.

"At the moment it appears that (Giteau and Paul) are on track to play in Perth and the rest of the squad is now into full training," Fisher said.

AAP

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    Shakey? You mean shaking in their boots with FEAR!

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.