Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: TWF Interviews Cummins, Cross & Mackay

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash

TWF Interviews Cummins, Cross & Mackay

Our intrepid on the scene reporter, The InnForcer interviews Nick Cummins, Ryan Cross and Lachlan Mackay. Over to The Innforcer:

On a day when all the Western Force talk was about Quokkas, it was not suprising to see news cameras and reporters on the scene early at Bold Park Aquatic Centre as we awaited the arrival of the players.

The players arrived at little late as they had just come out of a meeting about the alleged incidents at Rotto over the weekend and with the temperature about to top 35 degrees it was no wonder they headed briskly for the change rooms and straight into the pool.

While most of the players including Tom Hockings, Ryan Cross, David “The Beard” Pusey, Nick Cummins, Lachlan Mackay, Junior Pelesasa, Jimmy Hilgendorf, Sam Wykes, Dane Haylett – Petty and Valini Tiatia (new Academy graduate RugbyWA will make a press release once he complete medical and fitness tests
    ) all under the supervision of Strength and Conditioning Co Ordinator Hayden Masters were throwing water polo balls about the place, the injured and recovering Junior Pelesasa and Jimmy Hilgendorf were confined to laps in the outside lane.

Before he had a chance to hit the water I had a chat with Nick Cummins

TWF - How did you like the experience with The Spirit in the ARC?
    NC – The ARC was a different kind of level for me, it’s the heighest level I’ve played at. It was a huge learning curve, especially playing with some of the players here, some of the Wallabies, it was a great chance to really learn off them and take note of everything they say.

TWF - How do you think you'll go in non-ELV Super 14?
    NC – Non ELV’s, what’s ELV’s
    TWF – The new laws you played under in the ARC
    NC – Oh yeah
    TWF – So how do you think you’ll go without them?
    NC – For me it will be slowing a lot of blokes down, which means there’s a lot of heavier blokes running at ya, but that’s fine it’s good experience to learn how to deal with the big boys.

TWF - What are your chances of running out in the Force starting 15 this season? If so which position would you prefer?
    NC – I’ve been put into the side, well they look at me as winger, but I’m happy to learn in many different positions, preferably at outside centre after a few years maybe if I learn enough to take that spot.

TWF - What is your opinion of the other outside backs on the roster this season?
    NC – They’re all good blokes and happy to help you out, but you know I’m just trying to keep up at the moment.

TWF - How are you adjusting to WA life?
    NC – Yeah WA is a great joint, everyone’s real friendly and because your new everyone sort of takes you under their wing and shows you around and makes you feel at home.

TWF - Would you like to cheerleaders at future Western Force games?
    NC – I think it wouldn’t do too much harm, it just depending on if that would distract the players enough or too much. But I think if we all do the right thing there is no reason why we couldn’t have a cheering club for you know getting us motivated and giving us the support we need.

TWF – Finally where do you think the Force will finish this year?
    NC – Mate I reckon we are gunna put the best effort in and I reckon well go a long way.
    TWF – Into the finals?
    NC – Mate that’s the plan.

Dunked!

After my quick interview which if you read between the lines was littered with bouts of laughter Nick had to face the Ten camera and reporter. This being the first time I have spoken to Nick I found him to be a genuinely nice guy who speaks from the heart. I look forward to seeing Nick become an integral part of the Force’s future.

Whilst Nick was being interviewed by Ten I had chance to watch the boys throwing the water polo ball about in what seemed to be an organized skills session with the added advantage of being able to dunk any opponent as long as they had the ball. Although brief I guess the boys appreciate being away from Perry Lakes for a change.

Still drip drying in the sun it was Ryan Cross’s turn next.

TWF - How did you feel your first year at the Force in Super 14 went?
    RC – I felt it went pretty quick, it was obviously exciting that first game, but as I said it went quick and I can’t wait until next year and I think I gained a lot of experience from it so it’s been good.

TWF - Do you feel under pressure to retain the number 13 jumper, or did the ARC give you some different ideas?
    RC – Yeah I always feel under pressure to retain my spot, it’s atough competition this Super 14, in saying that the ARC was good I think it gave me a bit more confidence at this level so hopefully I can hold onto that spot.

TWF - Which is now your natural game, Rugby or Rugby League?
    RC – (laughs) I feel rugby is my game now, you know it took me a little while to adjust, but I feel a lot more confident now.

TWF - At what point (if any) did you have to stop consciously thinking about the game you were playing?
    RC – when I was out there I don’t think I had a way to stop, but when I look back on the way I played, sometimes my habits from rugby league have creeped in and hopefully there slowly coming out of my game.
    TWF – Good habits or bad
    RC – Sometimes bad, sometimes good.

TWF - You're coming out of contract with Force after next year, have discussions started for an extension?
    RC – Yeah just sort of initial talks now about what I want to do in the future and what they think of me so yeah they’ve sort of half started now.

TWF - Your 28 now, do you see playing out your career in Union or have you thought about the possibility of returning to League?
    RC – No at this stage of my life I’m happy where I am and union opens up so many doors so hopefully if I don’t stay in Perth I can move somewhere else, but I’d love to stay in Perth.

TWF – You would be used to cheerleaders in League, do you think we need them at The Force?
    RC – Yeah they are a big part of rugby league, I think a majority, I mean minority of the crowd come to them and I think it’s a bit of fun and they get the crowd going. I don’t think there is anything wrong with it.

TWF – Where will the Force finish next year?
    RC – Hopefully we win more games than we lose, we were about even last year with 6 and 6 and a draw so hopefully we can get over that 50% win and hopefully push for a top four finish.

Junior & Jimmy

Last but certainly not least is Lachlan MacKay

TWF - Have you ever contemplated retiring because of all the injury problems you have suffered the last couple of years

LM – I guess it crosses your mind obviously your pretty down and frustrated with all the injuries that have been going on but I don’t think I’ve ever actually contemplated retiring, it’s obviously what I love doing and I’ve got to try and do it for as long as I can.

TWF - What keeps you going?
    LM – I guess there’s a lot of different things, I love being around the boys, touring and being part of this kind of team culture is something that you don’t get in every workplace so that is a big motivator for me to stick around. You get to try and achieve the sort of goals that you set out. In 2005 I started to reach those and a few injuries over the past two years at the Force has probably set me back a bit but I need to try and climb back up the ladder again towards representative football again and play at the highest level is something that keeps me going.

TWF - How's the health insurance premiums mate? Are you with HBF?
    LM – (much laughter) I’m with HCF, not with MBF (Force Sponsor) which I probably should be. I got away with it for a while under the parents policys so I wasn’t coughing up too much, maybe that’s why I’m gunna be injury free next year because I’ll be coughing up the money for myself

TWF - How do you think you'll go getting match time this season with all the new talent around?
    LM – Yeah obviously mate it’s going to be extremely competitive to try get a spot out there next year and I’m definetly is going to be fighting with Matty Giteau, Scotty Daruda and Scott Staniforth and the likes for the 10 and 12 position. I mean fingers crossed I just want to try and give myself every opportunity to try and be fit and get out on the field, play well enough and get a run, that would be great.

TWF - What is your preferred position?
    LM – I’m probably a little bit unsure at the moment. I obviously love playing at 10 but in saying that I’ve probably had few more games at 12 over here and I’ve probably been training a bit more lately and I’m really enjoying that so I think both very similar in the modern day game, they’ve both got to be ball players and have that ability to drive a team around the field.

TWF - You we’re once involved in The Bachelor of the Year contest, how was that and did you find Mrs Right as a result?
    LM – (more laughter) I thought I might have been able to escape that one. No unfortunately I haven’t found Mrs Right just yet, but my fingers are crossed that she’s still out there somewhere and hopefully I’ll find Mrs MacKay sooner rather than later.

TWF – How was the contest all round?
    LM – It was good fun, obviously I copped a lot of grief from the boys at training and came in the poster on the wall and all over the gym and computer screens, but mate it was a lot of fun and the boys had a good time obviously taking the piss out of me and it ended being a good event down there in Melbourne.

TWF - Speaking of Mrs Right, would you like to see cheerleaders at Western Force games?
    LM – Mate I’d love to see some cheerleaders I think it would a great idea. The South African teams do a very good job of turning out the cheerleaders and I don’t see why we couldn’t do the same.

TWF – Where will the Force finish next year?
    LM – Mate I think if we can keep climbing the ladder we can only improve on where we been the last two years and I think to finish where we did last year mid table up from the bottom, hopefully we can just go up to that semi final spot and see what happens from there.

Lachy & Hayden

Thanks to all the players for thir time and thanks again to Tom Baddley and Crispen “Crispy” Roberts from The Force Media Department for allowing access to the players on a day when they probably didn’t want them speaking to anyone.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Great work guys.....and awesome to see that we still have unwavering support from the players for CHEERLEADERS!!!

CHEERLEADERS ROCK!!!

vCash
    LM – (more laughter) I thought I might have been able to escape that one.

TIF always ask the tough questions!

Great job again TIF, you must be having an awesome time.

vCash
    Great piece TIF, Nice to hear the 'lads' are keeping positive despite all the neg- press lately.

vCash
    Nice work on the interviews - if Lachy is single, I think inviting him to JB's on the 6th is a very good plan - he will be able to meet a bevy of lovely ladies - boys, can you get on to that for the good of your female members

Laugh and the world laughs with you.......
    ......cry and you'll weaken your beer

vCash
    Good on ya TIF
    Great work!!

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryNJ View Post
    LM – (more laughter) I thought I might have been able to escape that one.

TIF always ask the tough questions!

Great job again TIF, you must be having an awesome time.
    Crispy (Media) actually told me after the interviews that it was one of the funniest questions he's ever heard asked of one of the players!

It's a tough job Larry, but somebody has to do it

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    My guess is that the players probably enjoy talking to you more than the main stream media types.

Are you going to hook up eleypinkbit and the TWF ladies?

vCash
    My guess is that the players probably enjoy talking to you more than the main stream media types.

Are you going to hook up eleypinkbit and the TWF ladies?
    I hope so Larry, they certainly don't seem to mind. I'm pretty sure TWF has a pretty good rapport with the players which helps

Nobody does my dirty work for me, they'll have to look after themslves Larry

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    are you calling TWF Ladies "dirty" ?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    Nobody does my dirty work for me,
    That's not what Jedi told me when he was here!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    Well I have been on tour with a few of them

I think I'll just plead Larry's fifth

vCash
    That's not what Jedi told me when he was here!

That's like believeing something you read in the SMH

vCash
    Love the work TIF..remind me to swing a beer your way next week (I should be easy enough to spot).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    Well I have been on tour with a few of them

I think I'll just plead Larry's fifth
    Hey - we were just trying to keep up with you guys! (honest...)
    Anyway - W.H.O.T.S.O.T.!

Keeping the Faith ... right here in Perth!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast