Thread: Whitaker to leave Waratahs at end of year

vCash

Whitaker to leave Waratahs at end of year

New South Wales captain Chris Whitaker has announced that 2006 will be his final season with the Waratahs.{br}{br}View the Entire Article{br}

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Now there'e a surprise....
    Certainly opens the way up for Henjak etal but just might save/prolong Gregans career as well.

HSBC Waratahs skipper Chris Whitaker has announced that 2006 will be his final season with NSW.
    Whitaker is heading to an undisclosed overseas club at the end of the Tooheys New Super 14 competition.
    The veteran of 31 Tests and 104 matches for the Waratahs will become the Waratahs most capped player if he plays all Super 14 matches this year.
    Whitaker, admired and adored by fans young and old, said leaving NSW is one of the hardest decisions he's faced in his life.
    "It's extremely tough to say goodbye to this place," said Whitaker.
    "The Waratahs have been my team for a decade but I was determined to leave on my terms and not stay too long.
    "It's also a family decision."
    NSW head coach Ewen McKenzie praised Whitaker for his honesty and toughness.
    "We've always said we'd support whatever decision Chris made and he's decided to go out on top and that takes courage," McKenzie said.
    "I'm sure it will be an emotional year for Chris and his supporters as he plays for them one last time."
    Whitaker's ambition to play overseas has always been there but it wasn't until this year that he decided the time was right.
    "I almost went to Europe after my first season with NSW and with English parents I guess it made sense but I regret nothing about the path that I've taken," Whitaker added.
    ARU Managing Director Gary Flowers said Whitaker has earned the admiration of all Australian Rugby followers.
    "Chris represents what's great about our game. He's the ultimate team player, the ultimate professional and the ultimate ambassador," Mr Flowers said.
    "Any young person who aspires to play professional sport should look no further for a role model.
    "Whatever his Rugby future holds, Chris will be remembered as a wonderful player who captained his country and who put the team before himself."
    Mr Flowers confirmed Whitaker would be eligible for an early release from his contract because of his outstanding track record for both the Waratahs and the Wallabies.
    "As tough as the decision was to make, I'm glad it's out of the way so I can concentrate on the Super 14 competition and not worry about questions about my future," added Whitaker.
    "I'll miss the boys terribly when the time comes but I'll always be a Waratah and I'm sure they'll be force to be reckoned with long after I'm gone."

vCash
    I'd heard this rumoured a few months ago (about August) so it's not a real shock to me. It's a shame that we lose our older players to europe because of money.

He'll certainly be missed, he's been an anchor for the tahs at 9 and generally made good captain choices.

I could see Donnelly stepping into the 9 ahead of Josh Holmes, the captaincy could go to either Waugh, Vickerman or Turinui I imagine.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Sarcasim might not always convey via the written word Sage
    I'm just amazed that he has stuck it out this long.
    I reckon if last years Tahs season had just been normal that he may have stayed up there after the tour to get an extra years worth in the bank.
    If Donnelly was to be the starting half then I would think he may also be in the names for captain?
    Apart from Hewitt I think he's the only other Sydney Club Captain in the squad isn't he?
    Of the three you mention, I think Waugh would have the best claim.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sagerian
    It's a shame that we lose our older players to europe because of money.
    That sucks. How much more do they make over there?

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Not sure of actual figures Larry, others may know, but it is considerably more.
    I don't have a major problem with our older players going as it is normally players such as Whits who aren't getting Wallaby selection anyway and you can't blame them for wanting to make some extra coin before they retire.
    It's why I refer to Europe and Japan as the Supperannuation Leagues, they are full of Southern Hemisphere players making far more than they would at home.
    It is a shame when the younger crew go though and hopefully the addition of the Force as a fourth pro team will help to slow that.
    There are only so many playing spots in Australia and a certain percentage of them need to be given to developing junior players through to the top level.
    If the flow overseas is slowed with four teams then there is a genuine chance of raising a fifth Super team or at least looking at raising the standard of the second layer of club teams across the country.
    Slowly developing the WA comp will help with that objective as well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryNJ
    That sucks. How much more do they make over there?
    Apparently near enough to double.

Quote Originally Posted by Burgs
    Sarcasim might not always convey via the written word Sage
    I'm just amazed that he has stuck it out this long.
    I reckon if last years Tahs season had just been normal that he may have stayed up there after the tour to get an extra years worth in the bank.
    If Donnelly was to be the starting half then I would think he may also be in the names for captain?
    Apart from Hewitt I think he's the only other Sydney Club Captain in the squad isn't he?
    Of the three you mention, I think Waugh would have the best claim.
    Hehe, I sorta thought it was sarcasm. Shaun Berne is the only other captain at Shute level, which is not a good sign as he was named captain for the recent trial match.

My vote would be for Waugh or Donnelly as captain, I could see either doing a good job, certainly the other one should be VC.