Thread: Super 14, 2008- Chiefs

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash

Super 14, 2008- Chiefs

Form from 2007
    The Chiefs had a 'too little too late' season in 2007. They had a 5 match winning streak coming into the end of the season and had they made the finals they had the momentum to notch a first championship. This was not to be but a positive they will take from 2007 is a remarkable ability to score bonus points (when the Stormers beat them in round 3 despite no wins they were ahead on the ladder). If they can start '08 firing there is no stopping them. That said their performance in the ANZC was well below the previous years' standards failing to make it out of the quarter finals after a last gasp loss to Hawkes Bay. Its experience though for a young squad and that is always valuable.

Comings and Goings
    The Chiefs lose some hardened campaigners this year in Marty Holah, Steven Bates and Keith Robinson. The trio have gone leaving a sizeable hole in the forward pack. The former two are off to Europe while Robinson has retired after yet another injury. Kevin O'Neill comes into the side as a lock/blindside from the Crusaders and will be building on a very solid 2007 season.

All Blacks scrum-half Byron Kelleher and try-scoring machine Roy Kinikinilau are on their way out from the backs. Kelleher's experience will be missed but his talent is more that made up for in young Brendan Leonard. As for Roy (makes him sound a bit like a dog doesn't it? Roy), the Chiefs will miss a strike weapon such as himself but still have Mils and Sivivatu to tear the other teams apart.

Keep an eye on
    With incredible acceleration making him a dangerous running halfback, Brendan Leonard is a threat on both attack and defense. It was painful to see him burn a hole in the Force's defense in this year's match and really show up Jon McGrath. More painful still is the knowledge that John Mitchell almost convinced him to join the Force (having an Aussie grandmother qualifies him for the Wallabies) and he could have been doing the damage for us.

The Chiefs are grooming a set of props that could well be the next All Blacks stars. Names like Craig West, Ben Castle and Aled de Malmanche may not ring many bells with most but they are powerful props who will either fight for a Carl Heyman sized spot in the All Blacks front row or put a lot of pressure on the incumbent on the other side. Ignoring rugby skills you can't look past a guy like Craig West simply because of his awesome stash that makes him look like a 80s cop (although looking like an 80s cop is a bad thing if your from around the Bay of Plenty). Castle and de Malmanche are also both as solid as a rock and will make up a pretty formidable front row for the Chiefs.

Prospectus for 2008
    The Chiefs have what it takes for 2008: An ability to score bonus points, a young and dynamic pack and a 10/12 combination in Stephen Donald and Tasesa Lavea that is really working for them. The only questions are over how well they can start and get wins early and how well players can be managed to reduce injuries. Having learnt a lot from last seasons disappointment, I think the Chiefs will knock it up a notch and take the title. It took me a long time to decide this but I'm giving the Chiefs my number 1 spot.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Tough call here James, before reading the last half of your analysis, I would have said the Chiefs would be the NZ team worst affected by the exodus, but now I'm not so sure. I guess jury's out for me, their first three weeks will tell the story. Anywhere from 6th to top is my bet, with more detail after watching round three.

C'mon the

vCash
    Roy Kinikinilau is a monster! Former number 8 turned back. One of my fav players really. Sorry that he is leaving though.

Anyone remember the Chiefs v Force game in the S14 just gone? Great try by Gits in that one if I recall correctly, going through another monster in Luaki.

I think he scored more than one too.

Laura Force Addict v Chook scrabble-off on Facebook: laura & Force Addict 0 | chook 9

Gigsa made me do it

"He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty." – Lao Tzu

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chook View Post
    Roy Kinikinilau is a monster! Former number 8 turned back. One of my fav players really. Sorry that he is leaving though.

Anyone remember the Chiefs v Force game in the S14 just gone? Great try by Gits in that one if I recall correctly, going through another monster in Luaki.

I think he scored more than one too.
    He broke Kelleher's nose in one of them.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    My brother is a Chiefs boy and I suggested to him that the Chiefs weren't as badly affected by departures as other NZ S14 teams (although they will really miss Kinikinilau - who wouldn't). His observation was that I was probably right for the starting 15, but their depth had been decimated by the draft system to cover for all those other departures. Losing Gatland will really hurt, having Foster throw his hat in for the ABs probably won't help either, but I'd definitely see them as top 4 and a distinct threat. Not sure they'll have what it takes to take out the title though, unless they have a real stable year.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    I think almost every team in the competition will be a bit short of depth somewhere this year. As for the Chiefs yeah in second and back row they will want to keep their injuries down but I think their backline has some quality depth.

vCash
    One of the Gits tries here

High speed connection required

Laura Force Addict v Chook scrabble-off on Facebook: laura & Force Addict 0 | chook 9

Gigsa made me do it

"He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty." – Lao Tzu